Now that 35lb RF seats are the norm

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are *rumors* that the Radian has been tested, and hasn't yet met, to a 40 pound limit. Rumors only.

Yes, though, I think we will, and fairly soon. For how long did rear facing seats go to 20 pounds? Then they crept up to 30, then 33, then 35. All in about six years. It wouldn't surprise me if within six years we were looking at 40-45 pound seats.

Wendy

BookMama

Senior Community Member
For how long did rear facing seats go to 20 pounds? Then they crept up to 30, then 33, then 35. All in about six years. It wouldn't surprise me if within six years we were looking at 40-45 pound seats.

I agree with Wendy - 5-6 years. The convertible that we had for DS (purchased in early 2001) only went up to 22 lbs RF, and that was the norm. By the time I bought a convertible for DD, 5 years later, 30+ had been the norm for at least a couple of years.

Of course, most people don't RF their kids past 1 year and 20 lbs anyway, so we've got a lot of work to do there. :rolleyes: (And realistically, there's not a ton of financial motivation for car seat manufacturers to produce a seat with a 40 lb RF limit.)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think they are claiming that they are limited by the size of the dummies... 34 pounds is the current one (with a weighted vest), and the next one up is that tall 48 pound (or is it 52 now? They keep tweaking them and I can't keep up, lol) 6 year old... You can't just fatten up the three year old, because the taller 6 yo will push the seat back further, I suppose (and I think I heard the legs are too long, which we all know is hooey, but oh well...).
I don't know why they can't just make the big swedish seats meet fmvss criteria and sell THOSE (well, I do...they require all sorts of extra tethering and support feet, and the current law here is 'lap belt install only!')? There'd be a teeny market, but they could just sell direct and not worry about keeping retailers happy...

PixieEMT

Probably after I'm done having children lol! :(

I agree with Wendy that it will slowly creep up to 40 maybe 45. I agree with Bookmama too about the public and getting the message out that 1 and 20 is the MINIMUM.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC