Should I keep the Scenera or the RA?

Chex

I was needing a 2nd carseat for DD3 for when dh and I go out on dates (we still always take her). But we like to go in his car (Civic) instead of the van (Odyssey) and I'm fed up with transferring the BLVD. So I bought a Scenera from K-Mart (my first girly seat!) and then I also picked up a RA from the Target sale for $108. It's the Latte, of course...not my favorite, but I'm not picky either. I like the thought of her in the RA because of the EPS foam and all that, but the shell of the Scenera looks higher to me. Will she fit in the Scenera RF longer than she will the RA? Does anyone have experience with both of these seats?

Thanks!

ps I really wanted to get a Marathon from the sale, but didn't have any luck with that. So if anybody got one for $134 that they've figured out they don't need, I'd love to buy it from you! (As if that's ever going to happen:p)

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

Yes she will fit RF longer in the Scenera than she will the RA. It has a taller shell for RF. Most kids typically outgrow the RA RF around 18 months, but most kids can make it till 2 or older RF in the Scenera. If it is for a rare occasion & you are not in love with the Scenera then what about an Uptown. Big Lots has had them for $65, which is in between the cost of the Scenera & the RA!

crunchierthanthou

Yes, she'll fit longer in the Scenera. My ds was small for his age and outgrew the RA rf at just under 2.5 years. The Scenera lasted until closer to three.

Personally, I'd hang onto the RA as a secondary seat if it's within your budget. If you don't mind Craigslist or KSL, you could easily get back your investment after she outgrows it.

Chex

I was afraid she wouldn't make it as long in the RA. Darn it!

Mommy2Marcus, I actually tried an Uptown. That was my first choice, but it doesn't fit well in the Civic. My dh is very tall and it just didn't work. The Scenera works fine, though. And although I haven't installed it, I'm assuming the RA will work because the BLVD fit fine.

Crunchy, so do you think I should keep the RA for the Civic and use it until she outgrows it and then buy a Scenera at that point and sell the RA? I wish the RA had lower bottom slots so that it would work well for a newborn. Then I would have more of a reason to keep it.....for future children. But maybe since it's a bit safer (EPS foam), I should use it until she outgrows it. Hmmmm.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My dd fit RF in the RA till 27 months... I LOVE it! And honestly, I think that a newborn fits fine in it, the 'at or below' rule isn't very sensible for newborns in 5 pt harness seats (they have lap straps to hold them down, unlike the old three point seats that were around when they invented the rule), and they are so small they can't ramp out of it. 'Use the bottom slots till the next slots up are reached' is a better rule (I read that in a Safe Ride News Editorial, they know what they are talking about :))
Granted? I despise my Scenera... :p

loufrando

I would personally keep the Scenera. My dd2's head was even with the top of her RA shell at 16 months :eek: (it's from 2003 and the manual says even ;)) and I've tried her in Scenera's at Target and she still has room now at 27 months.

For me the benefit of ERF would outweigh the benefit of EPS foam. Just my .02 though, not a tech or anything. I'd do the $40 Scenera for while she's rfing and then get something else once she's ff. Or it might not even be an issue by then, lol.

amy919

I'd keep them both, but I have much love for the RA and am still sorry I sold mine. I'll just buy another if I ever need one :p.

My youngest screamed constantly in the infant bucket and I'm not a fan of them anyway. I moved her into the RA around 2 months and was comfortable with the fit. She was only about 8-9 pounds at the time.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I also would keep them both. Like the others said, your DD will have more time RF in the Scenera than in the RA. Both seats should fit well in the Civic. Do they?

arly1983

I would keep them both as well.

My daughter is one of the STRANGE ones....She still just fits the RA RFIng height wise but hit 35 lb....I wish I would have just gotten the RA last year when I was stressing over how soon she was going to outgrow it by height when I didn't really need to worry about at all. Its just hard to estimate how much they will grow in the future. All kids just grow differently.

Chex

I also would keep them both. Like the others said, your DD will have more time RF in the Scenera than in the RA. Both seats should fit well in the Civic. Do they?

Yes, they both fit fine. But I think I might take the Scenera back and just buy a new one when DD3 outgrows the RA by height. (I *know* she'll outgrow it by height first because dh is 6'4" and I'm 5'10"....so that's not a question). And at that point, I'll buy a new Scenera. Then it won't just be sitting here. My dh doesn't like seats sitting in the garage. And that way I'll get a newer DOM anyway and this one won't be wasted. Thanks for helping me figure it out!

dhardawa

I'd keep the Roundabout for the EPS foam, rear facing tether, company reputation, and comfort. When you need another seat down the road, you can get a Scenera or buy something like a Nautilus.

crunchierthanthou

Crunchy, so do you think I should keep the RA for the Civic and use it until she outgrows it and then buy a Scenera at that point and sell the RA? I wish the RA had lower bottom slots so that it would work well for a newborn. Then I would have more of a reason to keep it.....for future children. But maybe since it's a bit safer (EPS foam), I should use it until she outgrows it. Hmmmm.

I do- or keep it for #5, whichever. I loved my RA and don't know that I could pass one up for $108.

Chex

So you guys aren't going to believe what I did. I'm such a dork. I went and bought a Brooke Marathon for $188 at Target. I took back the Scenera and I'm going to sell the RA. I figured the $ I make off the RA will help me feel better about spending so much on a "2nd" carseat. I'm also going to keep checking w/Target, and if it goes down to $134, I'll take it in and get a refund for the difference.

My problem now is I KNOW DD2 is going to see the Brooke Marathon and want it. Every time she sees a pink carseat she says she wants it and then is mad when we go back out to the van and I put her in her boring Radian. So I'm trying to see if I can fit the Radian rfing in the Civic and give DD2 the Marathon. I don't think it'll work, though. Anybody have a Princess Radian cover for sale? Maybe I'll get her one for Christmas.:p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC