Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Two carseats in 2005 Freestyle

Background: We have a 2005 Ford Freestyle. It has three rows of seats - the front row are buckets, the middle row are buckets, and the back row is a bench. Currently we have my son (22 months, 34 inches tall) forward facing in a Britax Marathon in one of the middle bucket seats. We will be putting our newborn in October in the Graco Snugride that my son used.

My Question: is it okay to have the kids in the middle row bucket seats? Both use the latch system with the top tether attached to the hook (underneath the backside of the seat). We generally have the rear bench seat folded down for cargo space (stroller, etc.). My understanding was that the backseat is best because it is out of the airbag deployment path.

Any insight would be appreciated. I am booked into a carseat safety clinic in August, but I wanted to ask this now before I forgot.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member ErinGoBragh's Avatar

Re: Two carseats in 2005 Freestyle

It is perfectly safe for you children to ride in the center row of your car.

How much does your 22 month old weigh? If he is under 33 pounds, then he would be much safer rear facing.
    DS1~ 17 years old DS2~ 15 years old DS3~10 years old (NBB)
    DS4~December 2015 (Marathon)

Re: Two carseats in 2005 Freestyle

Thank you, I was hoping to hear that, I wasn't sure how to stow the stroller otherwise, plus I find it far more convenient to put the boy in the middle row where the door opens.

My son was 30 lbs at his last appointment. I had every intention of keeping him rear facing, but his legs are so long that he was all scrunched up, so we turned him forward facing.