Length for Expiry on AOE (Mf Aug 2004)

U

Unregistered

I am reading lots of conflicting info on the exp date on car seats - some say 7-8 years others are firm on 5 years. Now that the Laws are extended here in BC, it seems that there is rumors out there that ICBC will not cover car seats that are older the 5 years (regardless of make, condition etc etc)

Just wondering before i go out and spent $300 on a Britax for my 15 month old, that would probably need to be replaced then before she is allowed to sit in a regular seat.

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Different manufacturers have different rules, and even different seats have different rules under the same manufacturer (Recaro and Britax, for example..) If you're looking for a seat for your 15m old, you're wanting a convertible seat? It'll be 6 years for a Britax convertible (same as the AOE, btw.) Your 15m old won't be in that same convertible seat 6 years down the road, they will likely have moved into a dedicated booster by that point unless they have some growth problems...so the expiry won't be a problem. With the Frontier, the expiry is 9 years and the minimum weight limit is 25lbs.. this means that kids will be using the seat from about age 2 or 3, through to age 11 or 12. Most kids can transition into the adult seatbelt by that point or have already moved into using a dedicated LBB. Again, expiry is not a problem in this case, either.

As for ICBC--I don't see why they should replace an expired seat, no.. but if you're involved in a crash in a seat that is NOT expired, then obviously they should be replacing it. If you mean to question whether or not the child is covered under an insurance policy in an expired seat, that's a whole other issue.

-Nicole.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the explanation .

For clarification, our 15 month old uses our aug 2004 AOE when she is at DC, so "technically" if this 5 year rule were to apply, it would no longer be cover in the case of an accident after aug 2009 (just a year away) ... she will be a LONG WAYS away from outgrowing that seat, Heck she is still RF (and will be for as long as possible) and and barley 20lb I would like to be able to use it until the 6 year exp like you mentioned (as per the Manufacture exp date)

QuassEE

ICBC does not invalidate insurance for using an expired carseat. A child passenger is an innocent party under the law, and no negligence by the parent can waive their right to make claim for injuries. They could be completely unrestrained and this would still apply. Expiry dates are not a legality thing, they're a recommendation made by the manufacturer. The legality of using an expired carseat is pretty grey, unless there's a proper use law in place...and even then...still grey.

By my calculations, you have just over 2 years left on your seat. Most kids have outgrown the AOE in height by/during age 3, so this is really going to be a non-issue--you're going to have to replace that AOE at or before it's expiry. It sounds like your little one will barely be over 30lbs by then :) At least you'll get your money's worth on the next seat you choose.

-Nicole.

snowbird25ca

OP, on the back of the shell of your AOE you'll find a "do not use after Dec 20XX" I'm not sure about the 2004 date of manufactures, but the current 3in1 seats are stamped with an 8yr expiry date. It's possible this is the case with yours, but I'm honestly not sure when they moved to the 8yr expiry on the 3in1 seats.

Also, your date of manufacture is in the midst of the adjuster strap recall. If you haven't checked already, check to see if your seat is involved in the recall. If you have a narrow adjuster strap - think about 1" wide, and the metal lever is half smooth and half horizontal ridges, then it's involved. (The adjuster lever style on the 1" wide strap that isn't involved is totally flat. There is also another style strap that is around 2.5" wide and those aren't involved in the recall either. Only the narrower ones with the half ridged metal adjustment lever are involved.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC