Best affordable convertible?

U

Unregistered

I am a britax fan all the way and have never owned anything else but I am trying to do some research for a friend who has triplets and is severely on a budget. They have outgrown their infant seats and need to be in convertibles as soon as possible. Thanks for any quick help!

ADS
U

Unregistered

Cosco Scenera 5 point (not the overhead shield). Its a super tall seat compared to its competitors. It'll last much longer by height than some way more expensive 40 lb seats.

Its light, easy to use in lots of cars, etc. All around great seat for $40 at Walmart, Kmart or Target. BRU has a deluxe version that's more padded, etc. I think its $70-80?? FWIW, I like the Walmart color best (black and tan). The Target one is navy and light blue, Kmart is brown and kinda itchy.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If she's not used to Britax, then I say the Cosco Scenera 5-point harness (RF to 35# & FF to 40# only about $40-70) ... otherwise, if she can afford it, the new Fisher Price Safe Voyage is very much like the Marathon (RF to 33# & FF to 55# about $170).

my3girls

I think it's the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe that harnesses to 55 lbs, Elitecarseats.com shows them both. The FP SV only harnesses to 40 lbs, but I think saving $20 isn't worth the seat being more limited. I don't really even know if the FP SV is available, maybe it's backordered and your friend wouldn't be able to find one, I just didn't want you to tell her $180 and then she tell you she got a "deal" when she really got the 40 lb limit ones.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I wonder if that's a typo? No one has mentioned that in all the discussion about this seat. not to mention the differences in the deluxe vs not deluxe seem be a head support and cover options, why would they make them difference weight limits? If they were the same internals and why would they make different internals?

I have the scenera and if she's really on a tight budget i'd suggest that one. It has the highest RFing limit of any current seat. The deluxe model at BRU isnt really padded anymore than the original, it comes with a head support and harness pads and a red and black plaid cover. I havent used the SV so i cant recommend it or not recommend it.

scatterbunny

Yes, this is true. The Fisher Price Safe Voyage (NOT Deluxe) is based on the Roundabout, harnessing to 40 pounds. The Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe is based on the Marathon and harnesses to 55 pounds. Then there is the Safe Voyage Booster, based on the Starriser Comfy.

Pretty confusing, for sure. I think Britax could have put a little more thought into the names of the seats to make it easier on consumers.

LuvBug

Dont forget the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Infant Seat as well, it is based on the companion, with the rebound bar ;) It isnt out yet though.
The FP SV EX or deluxe(based on the decathlon because it has the 3 buckle positions and "padded insert") doesnt go to 65lbs more than likely because it doesnt have the hugs. here was the 'preview' thread on babybargains about them http://www.windsorpeak.com/babybargains/blog/B40737805/C1268733385/E20050913171122/index.html

tjham

I've wondered about the HUGS deal. If the SV Deluxe can go to 55 without the HUGS, then it seems to me, that means the MA could also go to 55 without them?

LuvBug

tjham said:
I've wondered about the HUGS deal. If the SV Deluxe can go to 55 without the HUGS, then it seems to me, that means the MA could also go to 55 without them?
probably. The roundabout doesnt have hugs and goes to 40lbs, so I think the MA could do the same, and since the FP SV goes to 55lbs.

Either way, from my understanding, the hugs helps out in a crash no matter what the weight of the child. It probably allows the seat to be used at a higher weight because it helps out some.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC