Got incorrect info from Babies R Us (re: RFing)

newmom212

An employee at Babies R Us today saw us trying out some convertible car seats w/DS and asked us if we needed help, etc. He noticed DS (8.5 months old and ~24lbs) is tall and his legs came up to almost touching the bench seat you put the car seat on when he was in the Boulevard. He asked DS's age and explained matter-of-factly that DS might be one who needs to be an "early forward-facing" baby b/c of his height - that if his feet/legs are touching the seat it could cause a serious injury if there was an accident. He did say to check with our pediatrician first. I realize this is very inaccurate info but I wasn't 100% positive at the time (came home and checked) so I didn't say anything. But I'm surprised they are not more trained on the topic there, maybe I should call and tell someone? Or maybe this is common that people don't know..

ADS

Caseylaine

They should know better. I would phone the store and let the manager know that their employees need to brush up on the laws (whatever they may be in your area).

I think that its dangerous for employees to be saying things like that because I think that there are a lot of parents out there that would assume that because this guy selling them says so, it must be true.

I wouldn't be angry or anything, but just let the manager know that its a possible trouble spot and that it would be a great asset to have some tech's working there, and if they already do have techs to get those people to give their employees a little lesson.

seamonkeys

I'm totally NOT surprised! But I think if their employees aren't trained technicians, they shouldn't be giving out advice! :thumbsdown:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That's par for the course at BRU. And from what I understand, techs who work there are confined by BRU policies.

Wendy

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I was told by an employee they 'take a class' and 'feet hanging off the edge' was a sign the seat is too small. (or kiddo must go RF, I guess).
Rearfacing is definitely safest despite feet touching (ironically, forward facing kids suffer many, many more leg injuries than RF kids, AND head and neck injuries... I can't wait till the 'broken legs from RF' wives' tale finally dies!)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I was told by an employee they 'take a class'

I was told the same thing and the guy said that the class they take makes them all techs. When I questioned that, he said, "Yes. We are all Safe Kids-certified." :rolleyes::mad: I don't think so! This is the same guy who told me that Graco is going to stop making the ComfortSport or any other convertibles because kids should go from the SS1 to the SS2. He also spewed a bunch of other nonsense.

I complained to the manager.

Mommy0608

When my DD outgrew the Alpha Omega RF at 19 months, I went to BRU to get the EFTA. A saleswoman approached and asked if I needed help, and I said that I knew I wanted the EFTA. I tested it on their bench and she kept telling me over and over and OVER that the EFTA would NOT give me any more torso growth room and that it was a waste of money since I already had the seat that would be "the only seat I'd ever need." Grrrrr. DH looked at me with a glare that said "don't you dare" because he knew I was about to spew out a bunch of info. I kept my mouth shut though, but in hindsight, I wish I'd have said something to the manager because she was very insistent that she was correct.

Now that we have the EFTA, Jessie is still RF at 2 years old, and probably will be until she's atleast 3. :)

firemomof3

When my DD outgrew the Alpha Omega RF at 19 months, I went to BRU to get the EFTA. A saleswoman approached and asked if I needed help, and I said that I knew I wanted the EFTA. I tested it on their bench and she kept telling me over and over and OVER that the EFTA would NOT give me any more torso growth room and that it was a waste of money since I already had the seat that would be "the only seat I'd ever need." Grrrrr. DH looked at me with a glare that said "don't you dare" because he knew I was about to spew out a bunch of info. I kept my mouth shut though, but in hindsight, I wish I'd have said something to the manager because she was very insistent that she was correct.

Now that we have the EFTA, Jessie is still RF at 2 years old, and probably will be until she's atleast 3. :)

My DH says the same thing to me too!! My BIL puts his 2 boys (6&8) in the back of his tiny ford ranger pick up in the "extra cab" part, even though the boys have to sit sideways with a lap belt!! :mad: But I'm not allowed to say anything....but its hard for me to keep my mouth shut!
I'm glad it worked out well for you in the end, I love success stories :D

Nennib

Just to post a positive about BRU. I was at a local one (in Canada) last month to buy a couple Parkways for ODD (she is 7 and will be outgrowing her Generations within the year, so decided to pick up a couple Parkways before they were gone).

I brought YDD with me, she was weeks away from 4 at the time and looks about her age. The cashier was great, she asked if we tried the floor model and I said we hadn't because that child wasn't with us. She looked down over the counter at YDD and said to her that the seat were comfy but she (YDD) would have to wait a couple years before using the Parkway, that maybe she would get them handed down from older sibling someday and that she needed to still be harnessed at her size (she's about 38 inches tall, 34 pounds).

Not bad I thought because many people I know would have my YDD in a booster seat by now and tend to think I am crazy for harnessing my 7 YO.

Nenni
ODD May 2001 39 pounds Harnessed in 2 Evenflo Generations (1/2-1 inch of growing room)
YDD June 2004 34 pounds Harnessed in Evenflo Vision and Evenflo Generations

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Nenni,

That's great! I'm glad you had a good experience and the employee knew that four/thirty-four pounds is too little to booster a child.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
From an inside perspective as someone who works at BRU, I can tell you that a lot of the "training" that is done on carseats is what employees pick up from co-workers. I'm lucky in that I work with some young adults who realize when they're learning new info that will help parents keep their kids safe. There's one girl who has taken to sitting in anytime I talk to a parent. ;)

A couple years back CDN BRU advertised in the baby catalog that all stores had at least one tech on staff. This is pretty meaningless in practice in most stores, because these techs haven't had any real world experience past the class and will expire the second they hit 3yrs due to not having checked any seats... This doesn't mean that you'll never find a well educated employee working in the carseat area, but it is a rarity going off my experiences with my coworkers. (They like to argue with me sometimes, what they don't realize ahead of time is that they won't change my mind about the 3in1 seat and that I can give them way more info than they ever asked for. :p )

So yeah, unfortunately good information is the exception and not the rule. I'd love to say that anyone going into the store I work at is getting good info, but I know that it all depends on who you talk to. I guess at least they know the legal minimums when directing parents towards a seat, even if they are pushing a seat that will be outgrown in the next year. :rolleyes:

Nenni,

That's great! I'm glad you had a good experience and the employee knew that four/thirty-four pounds is too little to booster a child.

34lbs to booster a child is also illegal in Canada, so it's extra good the employee knew. :D

lorinick

I was told the same thing and the guy said that the class they take makes them all techs. When I questioned that, he said, "Yes. We are all Safe Kids-certified." :rolleyes::mad: I don't think so! This is the same guy who told me that Graco is going to stop making the ComfortSport or any other convertibles because kids should go from the SS1 to the SS2. He also spewed a bunch of other nonsense.

I complained to the manager.
I work for BRU my store is pretty knowledgeable. There is a class breif and just touches on these topics. I work with a great bunch. Who are interested in learning car seat info. My fav of course. But was shocked to hear one of my co-works telling a guest to get a Natulis for their one year old 20lb child. I came over gave them the info about staying rf to the limit of the seat and not to worry about the child legs hitting the seat. I also advised them to also look up info on ERF. They did leave with a EFTA. And will keep their child RF. I spoke to the co-worker and told him the info he gave was incorrect. I pass on eh info I learn here all the time. But it's sad to say this co-worker is the head person in the car seat section. I've worked at BRU for about 7yrs. but very part time. I learn more from all of you than I ever learned at any meeting there. The last one we had I learned one new thing. Which is good. But those meeting don't happen much. As for the Safe Kids Cert. Not true. Safe Kids does run our car seat checks but thats it.

Sounds like my babies r us.... If i am there I always correct them when I hear them giving out horrible advice.

I have been told to put my 2 year old in a HBB.
I have been told that micahel doesn't need a booster(5 years old)
I have been told that RF is just silly
I have been told there are no reason's for all these carseats, just get the Regent :rolleyes:
I have been told that there is no reason my 3 1/2 year old should still be RF I am endagering his life and should be arrested :eek:

lorinick

Sounds like my babies r us.... If i am there I always correct them when I hear them giving out horrible advice.

I have been told to put my 2 year old in a HBB.
I have been told that micahel doesn't need a booster(5 years old)
I have been told that RF is just silly
I have been told there are no reason's for all these carseats, just get the Regent :rolleyes:
I have been told that there is no reason my 3 1/2 year old should still be RF I am endagering his life and should be arrested :eek:

At least you know the correct info. Just amagine the guest that don't have a clue. And there are many of them.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
We had a parent come to a seat check at BRU who had tried to return an AOE to BRU. Of course, they had owned and used (and modified:eek) for a while so it was not returnable. The seat was for their 2 (maybe 3) year old that was special needs and could not stand. The manager at BRU told them it was the wrong seat for their child anyways b/c the child should be in a booster!!!! Luckily the parent found us in the parking lot and we fixed the AOE and installed correctly.

At least you know the correct info. Just amagine the guest that don't have a clue. And there are many of them.

Well, before I knew better. That is why I bought an AOE, then after he outgrew that after he was 2, I got him the chase and then moved him to the Low back booster(at 3)-thanks to Babies r us!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Where does this all too common misconception come from??? I hate it:mad:
I ditto the 1st 2 replies!

Honestly, I think it comes from a parent looking at a kid with long legs and going "wow, that can't be comfortable, it looks like he'd break his legs" and then passing it on as truth instead of having researched it.

A lot of times what looks uncomfortable to us as adults doesn't bother kids at all. I know there are lot of perceptions out there about kids' comfort in different brands of seats as well - parent thinks such and such must be uncomfortable - child doesn't care, but parent doesn't buy seat because it can't possibly be comfortable or will likely bother child soon. When in reality, the child may very well have never had any complaints...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC