How are your DH/SO's about child safety?

Longhorn Lady

I mean, I know of course that they are probably all great with their own family, but I'm wondering about other people. I was wondering this because my boyfriend came home tonight and told me that one of his bosses at work just bought a booster for her daughter, who is 20 months and 28 pounds :eek:

Christopher said he almost passed out, LOL. She just bought a new car and the car saleman apparently told her that a booster would work well in her car, and that her daughter was more than old enough :mad: Anyway, Christopher calmly told her that the salesman was wrong and that not only should she not be in a booster, but that she should still be RF. I told him that I was proud of him for wanting to turn her around but at this point, I'd be happy if we could just get her back into a harness and we'll worry about extended RF later ;)

Anyway, it just made me happy because he's only 22, has no kids of his own, but has just been so willing to learn with all the kids I have in my car (and his nieces who we have alot) and I love that he can educate other people.

His boss is apparently going to go return the booster and buy a harness, so cross your fingers. So how are your DH/SO? Does it make them squirm also when they see or hear of similar situations?

ADS

ccjones

My DH thinks I worry WAY too much about our carseats, but I have calmed down alot now that I bought the MA for my vehicle (the Radians are in the other 2 vehicles). However, I was very suprised one night when DH commented, out of the blue, how he noticed when he picks up DS at daycare in the afternoon that some of young kids (ages 2-6, say) don't even have boosters, much less carseats, and one small child rides up front in his father's work van. Now, maybe that situation can't be helped, but DH went off on a rant that you should not use a work vehicle to transport your child if the child isn't going to be safe.

I was very surprised that 1. DH noticed any of this, and 2. That he actually remembered to mention it to me. LOL But, DH was adamant from the get-go, when we first started looking at convertible carseats, that we were going to buy two carseats that went to 65lbs; getting any seats with lower-weight limits was non-negotiable.

-Colleen

Last edited:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
He more points it out to me and laughs b/c he knows I'm about to go off when I see something like that. lol He really doesn't work w/ a lot of guys I don't think (or moms, though one is expecting so I'm hoping he passes along my name as a tech, lol) that have young children or children at all so he's not exposed like I am. I'm sure he notices though to some extent, but not enough. He can only take one thing at a time. The first year, it was bfing, the next year It hink it was allergies, so maybe next year it'll be carseats. lol

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
DH went off on a rant that you should use a work vehicle to transport your child if the child isn't going to be safe.

That's funny, I can see DH doing that. He's the Safety supervisor at his work and he's keen on those things. :)

Longhorn Lady

The first year, it was bfing, the next year It hink it was allergies, so maybe next year it'll be carseats. lol

Jennifer, I totally get this! Christopher had never been exposed to EBF before he met me, and even though I'm not a mom yet, I do watch a lot of kids who are still BF at an 'older' age, and I'm more than okay with it, and wanted him to be also. And he totally is, but he had to learn/adjust first :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My guy is a doctor -- he interned at an inner city hospital -- he's seen what happens up close & inside out ... he's impressed that I don't mess around with car safety, supports my decision to volunteer my time helping others with it & is thrilled that he'll be the only OBGYN with a Doula/CPST to send new babies home :D :p (I'm also quite pleased to be the only Child Care provider with a Dr. to administer meds, LOL -- my niche will be the Special Needs kids, which makes perfect sense since I'm going to school to be a Special Ed teacher) :)

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Mine thought i was nuts when it went form "oh, i'm doing my project on car seats" to this obsession but now he's cool with it. He actually pointed out the oldest child i've ever seen RFing IRL to me! And now he comments on stuff we see in stores and other people's cars. He hates it when i rant about them or talk about new seats i have no need for. And before we decided to adopt alex he was super annoyed when we would go to target and i had to pet the marathon, now he visits too b/c he wants to see the safeseat 2.

I still do all the installing and picking out seats (but not covers) he doesnt feel comfortable with all that pressure riding on him. He prefers i do it b/c i'm a perfectionist and i'll do it and redo it until its super tight, he'll get aggravated after a few failed attempts and will do an even worse job every try after that. (i keep telling him once he learns to do it the first time he'll do it right all time but one bad experience with the VP has turned him against it.) he cant do the VP buckle (yes we are still using it) and has a harder time being sure it doesnt twist or fold so i'm in charge of that seat. He will do the marathons harness with the girls but he always wants me to double check his work. He's never made a mistake so i dont know why but as a worry wart i'd rather check it and everything be good that not check it and have them fly out of the seat!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Finally registered here, hello everybody!

My DH isn't as obsessive as me but he no longer rolls his eyes when I talk to him about carseats or the latest instance of carseat misuse or nonuse that I've witnessed. He used to roll his eyes and tune me out, but after a couple of minor/moderate accidents in which my oldest walked away unharmed when riding in her Marathon (replaced with another Marathon after each accident), he's become a big Britax fan. He now knows how to install DD's Marathon when we move it between vehicles and he's always been good about getting the harness properly buckled and positioned for both of our DDs. He wants to keep our girls harnessed as long as possible. I think when my oldest outgrows her Marathon by height, he will go along with my current plan to get her a Regent.

Tara

He more points it out to me and laughs b/c he knows I'm about to go off when I see something like that.

My dh does this too LOL
He's not quite obsessive about it, but, kinda close I'd say. I'm rubbing off on him ;) He tells me all about any time he sees someone with a Britax and whenever he sees some ancient relic of a car seat being used, misuse and such. He's pretty observant. Then, being in car sales, he often has folks coming in w/seats in their car..some, eh, not so good. He throws a pitch for Britax seats every chance he gets and helps to install seats in the new cars. (now I just gotta get him certified huh?)

Some things he's not quite "there" on. But that's just because he's not sat here reading this board like I have. He's not *seen* all these other details. Like, extended rear facing. He's all for past 1yr and 20 lb, I just don't think he's *that* gung ho about it..like having a 3yr old RF. But, that's new to me too. And I've not harrassed him about that as much, since my kids are too big to RF in their seats. But I'll be working on him there hehe

Anywho, he's not quite as 'bad' as I am, but he's close. Though still rolls his eyes at me all the time LOL

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
DH is getting better

He know's I've done the research so what I say goes in this realm. I pitched a fit at home with him that his brother has his 2 yr old in a HBB and how unbelievable unsafe it is. This was back in January and the little guy will be 3 in May. We transported him and that's how I found out that he was in a booster--we borrowed a harnessed seat from his other grandmother because I freaked a bit. He knows that I will NOT transport him again until he is 4 and 40 pounds. If I HAVE to--I will be going and buying a seat.

2 weeks ago his 6 yr old neice was at his mom's for the weekend. We were going to take her bowling and she doesn't ride in a booster. So I borrowed the one my mom has for my nephew to ride it. DH asked about why I had it...and then didn't say a word.

Like I said---he thinks i'm nuts about it, but is getting better.

Susan

Longhorn Lady

Yeah, when we were with his nieces two weeks ago and they both wanted to ride with us, before he even said yes, he told his sister "we'll need the car seat if Celeste comes with us" and she's 5 years old and 45 pounds, LOL.

She isn't using her MA anymore (even though she has plenty of room) and she isn't using a booster either :( She's just using the plain seatbelt but his whole family knows that we won't put Celeste in the car without her MA. There's no reason that she shouldn't be using it, since she fits just fine. They just won't put her in it because they say it takes too long :eek:

If they had a booster than of course we wouldn't hesitate to use that either, but if the choice is nothing at all or a MA, of course the choice is easy.

(I have a MA and Turbo of my own, that I always keep 'just in case' but we never let them know that because we don't want to bail them out unless we absolutely have to)

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Oh i have to add concerning my wedding planning 'caravan' (4 cars, 900 miles, one wedding planning session.) DF has been very big on which kids can go where (especially Ryan, he wants to be sure she can ride with him in all the different cars). and he was totally behind me in forcing his aunt to buy boosters for her kids if they want to ride in my car or any of our parents cars. He's also insisting that his cousin (who is suddenly going) buy her kid a 5 pnt seat so he doesnt have to hear me b***h all the way there and back about his seat but i secretly know he knows its unsafe and just dont want to catch the bug.

He's very interested in Ryan's safety. His sister seems to be ok in a marathon but he thinks ryan need the BV. (yeah he might have a favorite but its b/c he doesnt think of ryan as our kid he's his sister. He loves her the same as he loves Ryan but alex will always be his sister and somehow its different.) He keeps bugging me about her seat being moved all the time on the trip and if i think it would be better just to buy her an extra seat and put them in all the car possibilities before we leave so she's safe. (which cuts down on our seating possibilities.) I've assured him i'll install it every time as safe as i can and if its not safe i'll install it in another safer spot. I couldnt believe it when i caught him checking the new marathon covers out this afternoon! He found the BV with TSIP and its all i've heard about since.

Michi

My DH really wants me to turn our 16 month old FF! :eek:
He says that I can leaver her RF until she's 18 mos, but then he really wants her FF by summer.
We did turn our other kids FF between 12- 15 mos, but that was before I knew better. Now that I've been 'educated' I want to leave her RF until 33# -( She's only 22# right now, so that could be awhile!)
I've shown him all of the crash test videos, but he has the (dumb, in my opinion) idea that "all of the others did just fine." :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC