How did you pick your cover?

jnh896

Hi,
I'm just wondering if you chose your car seat cover to be "boy" or "girl" or to match your car's interior? Or if you even cared about that?

I'm about to buy a second carseat. It's mostly my husband's car, but we'll be swapping cars more often when I return to work. My BLVD has the boring tan and black check pattern, which does match our van interior. I'm thinking of getting a more girlie pattern for the new carseat (very tired of people saying "he's so cute" when "he" is wearing pink! But she still has no hair. :))

But, it seems kinda unfair to stick DH with a girlie carseat if he's driving around without DD in the car. He already had to get a mini-van. I don't know how much more he can take. Hee! Hee!

ADS

lovinwaves

My first two Marathons I chose to match each other(different covers, but they looked good together) AND the interior of our van. I am about to order two Recaro Young sports. They will both match(identical), and are black (my interior is tan, outside is black).

raelynn

Senior Community Member
I chose my MA cover to match the inside of my van (Granite), which doesn't matter now since I use the MA in a school bus which has green or burgandy seats lol. Because I have a boy, I didn't care so much as long as it wasn't pink. If I had a girl though, I would be ALL over the girliest cover I could find. :D

Mama!

My vehicle has a beige interior, and I can't swallow any gray covers b/c they clash so badly. :eek:

So I choose covers with taupe/ivory/beige bases as much as possible. DD has a Madison Regent and DS has a Midnight Desert Signo.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I generally get the cover I think my kids will like best. My original Roundabout & Freeway were both denim (so comfy!).

When I got Roman's Marathon, I chose the Fido, because I thought he'd like that one best (the other option was the plain grey "Stormy", IIRC). Eva got a Foofy Marathon (her choice out of many) a year or so later.

I got a girly replacement cover (Ashley Floral) for Roman's Marathon when we handed it down to Nadia so that they wouldn't freak out so much about the switch.

Kira's in a Microdot Tan Roundabout right now, mostly because it was on sale(!). It matches my car interior almost perfectly.

Our two Parkways were the only cover available locally (Express?), and the two Parkways in FIL's car were chosen for price and for not standing out in the crowd (grey covers in a silver car with charcoal/black leather seats).

remken

I got my windowpane wizard because it was the cheapest one at the time. Not sure why I got the gray radian when I had it. I got the blue bouquet regent since it was the only cover available at the time and I let my son pick out the cowmoo marathon since I didn't have to pay for the seat.

U

Unregistered1

If dh is driving the minivan, it probably has tinted windows anyways, so go girly, LOL. I'd get the one I liked best... although all my covers were chosen by 'this is what they have in the store'.

Kat_Momof3

way back when I had a Marathon, I chose the cover based on both gender and my interior.

I didn't want it to clash and I didn't want it to be too boyish. However, because I knew I might end up giving it to Jeffrey (which I did) to get him back harnessed, I didn't want it to be purely girly, either.

I ended up getting cowmoo. When he did take it over, I got a granite cover on sale cheap at BRU so that I could keep the cowmoo nice... plus, he worried the "dead cow" cover was not boyish enough.

I just hated how the granite made the seat totally disapear in my interior.

I eventually sold the cowmoo and got Ashley Floral when Ruthie did take her Marathon back because I wanted her to have a girly seat, but I missed the animal print, so I got Zebra and used that until we got rid of the seat.

If I were to do it over, I would have gotten cowmoo again (because Zebra wasn't available yet at the time) and just kept it... still had the granite as a spare, but just kept the cowmoo.

I loved Ashley Floral, but the yellow seemed to show dirt so easily, whereas the tan lines in the cowmoo, combined with the black spots, hid it so well. Granite was also just great at not showing dirt.

wendy1221

Why would your dh care what color the carseat is? It's not like you're making him ride in a girly patterned seat. ;)

Melizerd

I picked my cover because Cowmoo wasn't at USA Baby when I was there and DH told me the one with the pastel dots (Keywest maybe?) was too feminine for a boy. So I'm forever stuck with Denim unless some wants to trade a cowmoo for a denim :whistle: It's nice and comfy it's just not that exciting and I'd love the cow.

AlishaNC82

Have you asked your DH? When it was time to buy one for our second car he actually said he wanted one that was really girly for our daughter. It kind of surprised me. I thought he would want one that matched the car.

amy919

I pick the car seats and the girls pick the covers. I think it's important that they have like their seats :).

I'm not too picky on covers. I look for the best price for the seat I want... like my BLVD in brownstone was cheaper than other blvd covers. price trumps cover as long as its not pink. as for the MA, since britax let me pick whatever I wanted, I let my 3 year old pick it even thought it ended up being given to the baby (since 3 year old is FF and baby is RF, 3 year old got blvd).

NVMBR02

I pick the carseats and I let them pick the covers. When they were younger I picked what looked best w/ our car, but back then I didn't know their were choices other than blue, black, gray, brown and tan. :rolleyes:

ktamp

I picked the onyx for our marathon mainly because it was black and I liked the windbreaker type material in the middle. We got it when my son was 5 months old. He had major reflux and spit up all the time. I thought the onyx fabric would be easier to keep clean and wouldn't stain. Both of our cars have tan interiors. At the time I had no idea there was such a wide range of covers. BRU had a gray, tan, and the onyx.

Secretly I dream about all the girly covers if I have a girl.

NicoleP

Well.....this is kinda sad, but my 2yr old son is riding around on a Brooke pattern MA until the cowmoo covers in. LOL the Brooke MA was a clearance special at Target $188.00 so....he is using it until cowmoo comes :)

As for the pattern I just pick what I like :)

TXAggieTech

I picked for both, our first two were tan Handfuls. Still one of my favorite covers!

Now I mainly pick but whether or not I already have the cover. If I don't have it, I need it!

dhardawa

It is a combination of everything. I like fun covers so that is always most important to me. I have had a zillion over the years and typically don't care if they match the interior, but I'll tell you, having a black car with a black interior, seats like Cowmooflage and Zebra look awesome! They are fun and coordinate. Over the years I have had Burgandy Check, Puppies, Fido, Cowmooflage, Granite, Handful, Zebra, Ashley Floral, Madison, Cougar, Luau, Dragonfly, Jonah, Park Avenue, Tan Swirl... and that is all I can think of off hand.

Kabes

I never thought twice about my covers until I came here. I just bought whatever they had. If I gave it any consideration it was- gender neutral (since I have 2 girls and 2 boys).

My current car seats are Regents in onyx and Radian 80s in Manhattan (???, the black and gray ones). I like that they match each other. Our current interior is tan but that hardly matters since I have 5 seats installed; you barely see them anyway-lol. They did look really sharp in the rental car we had with a grey interior though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC