Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

momof3

seat belts on the neck

My kids are big enough to be out of boosters but they, and even I have problems with the shoulder belt coming from too high and resting on our necks.
    Are there any safe products out there or alterations that can be done?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Caviller

Re: seat belts on the neck

If that is the case, it sounds like they may not be quite big enough to be out of boosters. Unfortunately, there are many vehicles where the seatbelts don't give a proper fit for anyone much smaller than an 50% percentile adult male. While the general guidelines to be out of a booster are 8 years or 4' 9" tall, the best guidelines are based on fit. Also see Question 9 of the FAQ linked under the top banner:

user.mc.net/~carseat/faq.html#Q9

One solution is to continue using a booster, especially for kids under 100 pounds. Backless models like the Evenflo RightFit and Safety Baby Uno/Polo do a very good job if your vehicle has adequate restraint behind the child's head. Jupiter Industries is working on a booster specifically designed for small adults. Until then, perhaps a generic auto seat cushion might help for parents who do not get a proper fit in their seat belts.

Many aftermarket products that pull the shoulder belt down also tend to pull up on the lap belt. That really only exchanges one problem for another, so they are generally not recommended.

When you do shop for your next vehicle, definitely check to see how the seatbelts fit your entire family. Some vehicles have adjustable heights on the shoulder belts, even in the rear seats.

I hope that helps! Perhaps someone else may have other suggestions for you as well.

Darren

Robert

Re: seat belts on the neck

In regards to the children I agree with Darren. Now with adults your manufactor might offer a seat belt extender. What this does is more the belt over a bit which inturn moves the shoulder belt over. The lap belt stays in the same position on your hips.