A stupid question...re latch and seatbelt

Kristy00

I have my kids carseats installed with either latch or a seatbelt, depending on weight. I was talking to a friend who told me that she secured her seats in using both. I responded with something to the effect of "that is not a good idea..." but when she asked me why, I had no answer.

Why can't you use latch and a seatbelt at the same time to secure a seat? Or can you and I am just mixed up?:confused:

ADS

Jan06twinmom

I'm not an expert, but I can tell you what I understand.

One reason is that the carseats have not been tested with both - or they were tested with both and failed. So by using both, your child becomes the crash test dummy in an accident.

The other reason it is not allowed is because carseats are actually supposed to move to some extent in an accident. If you only use one, the carseat will move like it is supposed to and it will protect you child. It was designed, tested, and passed the testing this way. But if you use both, the carseat can actually be in too tight. In an accident, instead of moving like it is supposed to, the stresses put on by both the seatbelt and latch could put too much stress on the carseat and the seat could fail.

Hey experts - Did I get the right answer? Or what did I mess up on?

raelynn

Senior Community Member
I'm not an expert, but I can tell you what I understand.

One reason is that the carseats have not been tested with both - or they were tested with both and failed. So by using both, your child becomes the crash test dummy in an accident.

The other reason it is not allowed is because carseats are actually supposed to move to some extent in an accident. If you only use one, the carseat will move like it is supposed to and it will protect you child. It was designed, tested, and passed the testing this way. But if you use both, the carseat can actually be in too tight. In an accident, instead of moving like it is supposed to, the stresses put on by both the seatbelt and latch could put too much stress on the carseat and the seat could fail.

Hey experts - Did I get the right answer? Or what did I mess up on?

That the explanation I would give!:thumbsup:

mish

That is a great answer. I am always stumped when someone asks me this. I know the answer but they are always so rude with asking why they can't use both I kind of pause. Most of them never believe me.

To the OP, that is not a stupid question. I am a tech and I posted a question asking the same thing not that long ago. They didn't really cover it in my class, just said you can't use both. Don't ever feel bad about asking a question. That is what we are here for. We want to teach people. Good for you for telling your friend that she is doing it wrong. Hopefully you can make her understand and her child will be much safer.

vonfirmath

In our car seat training class, the instructor said that you are not supposed to do it because it had not been tested --BUT they were currently in the midst of testing it. This is so common to do that someone decided to go ahead and test and see what it actually did so when the testing is done we may get a definite answer on this one.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
As long as it's not allowed in the manuals, then this is a good explanation. I doubt it's true (that the systems interfere with each other or cause substantially more force into the child), I doubt there's anything dangerous about using both (belts still stretch, after all). But I wouldn't do it or recommend it, it's just that we probably don't have to worry about the kids who are in seats using both systems very much, as they are really not at any real risk. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC