Is 60/40 Fold Down Bench Seat Safe for Car Seats

U

Unregistered

We have a car with a optional 3rd row 60/40 bench seat. There is no latch, but there are two shoulder belts. The recline on the seat is quite significant, probably to keep the profile of the passengers low as there isn't much headroom. I can get a fairly decent install with with my Roundabout, using the seatbelt and tether, although the using the tether pulls the car seat a bit to one side. Couple of questions... Is the bench seat an Ok place to install a car seat? Also, it is better to install the RA in the reclined position to match the pitch of the seat? Thanks!

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Always Follow The Vehicle Manual

What year, make, model :confused: my '99 Blazer said never to install in the center lap belt, but this is relatively rare -- still, always good to check the manual ;)

Generally, so long as the carseat base does not move more than 1" & at least 80% of the carseat base is in contact with the vehicle seat, then the middle is usually the safest place....

Are there other passengers riding in the back?

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Check the vehicle's manual. Also, check to see if those seats recline. My 40/60 split bench seats (Honda Pilot) do, so your seats may go more upright than you think.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC