Just Wondering....

Wife&MomX3

I hear/see ppl say congrats or good for U when somebody's child makes it til 2 yrs old RFing. Im wondering why, since I always thought size was the important part, not so much age. Is there some spinal maturity reached @ age 2 that I dont know about? TIA!

ADS

crunchierthanthou

I hear/see ppl say congrats or good for U when somebody's child makes it til 2 yrs old RFing. Im wondering why, since I always thought size was the important part, not so much age. Is there some spinal maturity reached @ age 2 that I dont know about? TIA!

It's quite the opposite- age over weight/size. It's related not only to spinal development and strength, but head size in proportion to the rest of the body. There's a good explanation about with nice illustrations here-

http://www.childrestraintsafety.com/rear-facing.html

The AAP recommends rear facing to the limits of the seat (whether by weight or by height). Age two is just a good starting point as a goal. Really, the ossification of the cervical vertebrae doesn't happen until age 3-6.

Wife&MomX3

Really, the ossification of the cervical vertebrae doesn't happen until age 3-6.
Thas wut I was lookin 4, thanx! And I worded my OP kinda bad, I kinda made it sound like I think ht/wt is more important than age all the time, but I dont think that for babies or anything! I meant when it comes time to FF, U want to wait til they outgrow by height or weight, regardless of age. Hope that sounds better!

crunchierthanthou

gotcha. :) I just wanted to clarify because saying "size is the important part, not so much age" is how we end up seeing ff 9 month olds who reached 20 lbs.

natysr

Also, when the old standard was to FF at 12 months AND the law is most places allows FF at 12 months, when one promotes education about the benefits of RF, to see a person actually take the information to heart and continue to RF for an additional 12 months on top of the "standard" is a great accomplishment, even if that isn't always to the limits of the seat. It definately allowed more time for that baby's body to mature.

And if the carseat is installed correctly and used correctly, I believe that a 12 month old, 20 pounder isn't necessarily un-safe FF. But they are definately significantly safER RF.

capeKO71

Yeah - when I am educating folks about rear facing, most of them are familiar with the 1 & 20 lb thing... so instead of totally shocking them, I like to say - "The new recommendations are to rear face to the limit of your seat" - and they always ask what "age" that would be... and I say - a good goal is age 2 - but some kids can rear face much longer then that.

Wife&MomX3

gotcha. :) I just wanted to clarify because saying "size is the important part, not so much age" is how we end up seeing ff 9 month olds who reached 20 lbs.
Ugh, I know:mad:
When it comes to car safety, Im jealous of moms w/ short/petite kids. I woudl love to RF my kids til they were 4. Im hoping ds can stay harnessed in his Regent til he's @ least 6 or older, but Im not holding my breath w/ how tall and long bodied he is.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC