Graco Vs. Evenflo

K

Kim

My first time posting.... my 10 month old daughter is out growing her infant car seat and I've been looking into a couple different car seats

Graco Platinum CarGo or Evenflo Traditions Booster

Does anyone know anything about either one of these two car seat?

ADS
U

Unregistered

Neither of these seats can be used rear facing and your baby needs a convertible carseat to be kept rear facing (RF) until at least age 1 and 20 lbs. Even beyond those milestones, it's safer to RF as long as possible until the convertible carseat is outgrown RF by weight and/or height.

You need to choose a convertible carseat and some frequently recommended models are:

for a basic seat, the $40 Cosco Scenera which rear faces to 35 lbs. and then forward faces up to 40 lbs. and is also good for travel or a second vehicle,

the larger, more padded, user friendly Britax convertibles seats called the Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard, all have EPS foam, seatbelt lockoffs, lots of padding, and are priced around $250-300, can RF to 33 lbs. and FF up to 65 lbs. Kids can use these until age 4-6 depending on their size and torso height.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The bare minimum for turning a child Forward Facing is 20 pounds AND (not or) 12 months.... The American Academy of Pediatrics & the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration both have policy statements urging parents to keep toddlers Rear Facing until the maximum limits of the seat -- this means that after an infant seat you need a convertible seat which Rear Faces until 30, 33 or 35 pounds & then turns Forward Facing until 40, 55 or 65 pounds.... I'm sure you feel that your daughter deserves more than the bare minimum for safety :)

Jenny (aka. "Scatterbunny") might chime in with the statistic of how much more likely it is for a child under the age of 2 years old to suffer fatal injury from turning Foward Facing too soon & I'll just say that in Scandinavia kids are required to stay Rear Facing until about 50-55 pounds & there has never been a recorded case of leg/foot injury, but many cases of neck/spine injury from Forward Facing too soon -- I'd rather have a broken foot than a broken neck anyway, though :eek:

Here are some helpful links & if you let us know your daughter's weight & height as well as your budget (plus the year, make model of any/all vehicles used) we can help you narrow down your ideal choices :cool: If the top of your daughter's head is less than 1" (or over!) the edge of the infant seat shell then she needs a seat immediately....

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Neither of these seats fit your child's needs. Your DC is still much too small to be put in a forward facing seat. Her neck muscles and spine are not strong enough to withstand facing the front of the car. She is also likely too short to fit in the lowest slots on these seats.

I would suggest the cosco scenera, its the cheapest seat available (but most tech's second favorite convertible). It can be used to 35 pounds RFing (the safest way for her to travel) which is the highest available in the us markets. It installs fairly easily in most cars. After she outgrows this seat she'll be ready for a ffing only seat that can become a booster. If you purchased one of those now you'd still need to buy another seat since they expire after 6 years and she wont be ready to sit without some sort of seat until she's nearly 8 years old.

Your DD is also more comfortable RFing. Her seat is leaned back so she can sleep easily, her feet dont dangle so they dont go to sleep, and she can look out the windows without getting car sick.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My daughter's issue with FF is that when her legs dangle they get numb & her back starts hurting -- this makes carseat cooperation fly out the window! Usually, around the age of your daughter, what seems like a desire to turn FF is just a general built in want to explore EVERYTHING ... we have some ideas that can help with that, too ;) :D

Edited to correct a typo! :p

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Dreaming_of_Speed said:
Tiff, do you mean your daughter's issue with FF not RFing?
Hehehe -- that's what I get for sneaking in here during my SPanish test (I finished early) ... but, I edited & fixed the typo now -- thanks :rolleyes:

scatterbunny

Kids up until age 2 are four times more likely to die or be seriously injured in a crash if they are forward-facing.

Everything else I would have posted has already been posted--the links to the crash test videos and other statistics, and the recommendations. Britax Marathon or one of it's 65 pound weight limit clones is the first choice, the extra $$ goes towards more comfort, more features and an extra 2-3 years using the harness. Most kids don't outgrow it until age 5-7. Most kids outgrow Graco convertible seats at age 2-3, Evenflo and Dorel (Cosco, Safey 1st and Eddie Bauer) at 2-4.

Second choice would be a Cosco Scenera for $40. It rear-faces to 35 pounds, forward-faces to 40 pounds, lowish top slots, but overall a great seat.

So you'd use these convertibles rear-facing to their limits and then forward-facing to their limits. With the Britax you would not need another forward-facing seat later, with the Scenera you would go with the Graco CarGo or Evenflo Generations later if your child doesn't need the higher harnessed weight limit, only the taller top harness slots.

There's also the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe, a clone of the Britax Marathon with a few missing features. It harnesses to 55 pounds and has the same top slot height though, so it's an awesome seat for the price.

K

Kim

Thanks to everyone for your comments. At this time my husband and I can afford a Britax car seat; he lost his job a couple weeks ago so money is tight. I will take a look at the Cosco Scenera and the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe. Once things settle down we can invest in the Britax car seat.

I'm glad I found this website! Thanks again!

U

Unregistered

The Scenera 5-point is a GREAT seat. I can't believe its price! Its so nice and tall and easy to use. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC