Disney Stroller?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Okay, so we've decided to just take a single this year to Disney (kids will be almost 7 and almost 4).

I have my Zapp which I love and I was just going to take that, but M keeps falling asleep in it and his head flops forward at what looks to be an uncomfortable angle.

So, I started thinking I need a stroller with at least a partial recline. I found a Combi Flare at TRU for $80, so I picked that up yesterday. It has the partial recline, carry strap, small basket, 55lbs weight limit, and tall handle (new feature, great for 6'3" dh), and only weighs 12lbs.

It just feels a little flimsy to me... I'm used to my P3 Pramette, E3V2, Mac TT, and Zapp (yes, I'm a stroller snob).

I looked at a Mac Triumph and Quest Sport, but they are double the price of the Combi... which I will only use at Disney this year. Next year, I'll probably just take the Zapp... since the youngest will be almost 5 and not needing to sleep in the stroller at all.

Someone tell me I'm being ridiculous and that the Combi will be perfect for Disney... or tell me what will be great, with all those features, for under $100.

Or would it be better to return the Combi, sell the Zapp and get a Mac Triumph/Quest Sport and use that this year and next. My kids are lightweights and only weigh 40lbs and 30lbs, so I'm not worried about the weight so much.

Does the Triumph/Quest fit taller kids better? Does it steer better than the Combi? Will I have an issue steering the Combi if it's just going on blacktop/paved roads with light kids in it?

Do you think I should have a buggy board attached to the back for an almost 7 year old? Am I overthinking all of this? :p :D

Aack! Someone tell me what to do!

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
We were just at Disneyland the week of 4th of July. I used my Bob Revolution and it was perfect. I think the bigger the stroller the better because then you can load it down with all the stuff you take in Disney and anything you buy in the parks.

If you are worried about crowds and therefore wanting to take a smaller stroller, I would say don't worry about it. On the 4th it was so crowded that if you left the park during the day you couldn't get back in because they had reached capacity, but our stroller was never an issue even in those crowds.

And make sure whatever stroller you bring has a good sunshade especially if your 4 year old will fall asleep in the stroller.

ali's mom

I have a Combi (hmm..savvy maybe), a Maclaren Techno XT and a Maclaren Volo. The Combi feels flimsy and the frame actually moves side to side while you are pushing if you have a toddler or older child in it. It is also very heavy/hard to push with an older toddler/child. I also do not like the strap recline method. The one you have may have a different recline, I don't know. The only time we use it now is if we have to gate check a stroller (I don't want my Maclarens to get damaged) and we have the Maclarens waiting for us at our destination (my parents drive, we fly).

I love, love, love my Techno. Pushes like a dream with an infant, almost 5 year old or 7 year old in it.

Maclaren Volo- love it, also. It also pushes great with a 6 month old or 7 year old. It doesn't recline, but the way the seat holds the child, my 10 month old has no problem with head slump if she falls asleep. This stroller doesn't go through grass or stones very well since it has smaller tires than the Techno. It has a carrying strap and folds small, which was ideal for getting on/off Disney transportation. They are less than $100.

The Maclarens come with rain covers. That was really handy at Disney.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
We're going at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb... so I'm not super worried about sun. There will be sunscreen and hats worn.

M really loves to walk, so the stroller will mostly be used at the end of the day or at night for fireworks, ect... which is why I was thinking it'd be nice to have a recline.

We're travelling by plane and bus, so I want lightweight and small fold for portability. We normally take our Mac TT (bought specifically for Disney), but it's too much stroller to take since the boys mostly walk now or are constantly hopping in/out. Plus I sold the Mac TT to my best friend. :D

I know the Combi will do the trick, I'm just wondering if the Mac won't do it better.

No child tray/bar in front to get in the way of hopping in/out, but I can live with that if the other differences aren't better.

I'm wondering...
1. If the Mac would fit a taller child better (seat depth, leg rest room)

2. If the Mac would steer that much better than the Combi (not as flimsy feeling)?

3. If the Mac has a taller seatback for taller kids?

Dh might just kill me if I tell him I want to buy another $200+ stroller... plus the Mini does not umbrella fold and the footrest looks pretty much the same as my Zapp... which is fast becoming too short for M's legs (nevermind A's legs :D).

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I love, love, love my Techno. Pushes like a dream with an infant, almost 5 year old or 7 year old in it.

The Maclarens come with rain covers. That was really handy at Disney.

... and this is why I keep going back to the Mac's... I have one and love it. Maybe I do need a mac? Hmmmmm :D

lovinwaves

Silver Cross Pop http://www.shnoop.com/

High Seatback

Cushy

SUPER tall handles

Locks automatically when folded

Carry handle on side (no strap like the volo though)

Very maclarenish, but I have heard it's push isn't *quite* as good.

Not tippy at all!

ali's mom

With my Combi, the boys legs fall off the footrest and rest on the wheels while they are sleeping. We constantly had to keep stopping to put their feet back up. We haven't had trouble with that with the Maclarens. My Combi has a hard solid piece for the footrest, but he Maclarens footrests are softer and flexible to hold the feet better.

shauburg

Maybe one of the TRU in Calgary has the Combi, a Mac Triumph, & a Mac Quest on display so you can try them all with your son in them and make your own comparison? A TRU in Edmonton (one of the one with the BRU inside) had them all, so I took DS for some test drives around the store.

It was a while ago, so I'm sorry I don't remember all the comparison details, but the Mac Quest won hands down in my mind (it's great easy-to-use recline mechanism was definitely a deciding factor). If you can't find one to compare, do you want me to take DS to TRU in his Quest and do a fresh side-by-side to the Combi Flare for you?

I didn't buy it at TRU however ($280:eek:). I got it from this site for ~$160 CDN including all shipping, duty, etc... - http://stores.ebay.ca/babyproductstore (recommended by QuassEE :thumbsup:).

There's also this site - http://stores.ebay.ca/MAXOTY

If you can get a Mac for a really good price, you should be able to sell it for good portion of that in couple of years when you're done with it. (Yes, I'm enabling you!)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
TRU has the Triumph, no Quest when I was there though. I took the Combi out today and didn't like the push... and we were just going over paved blacktop on a pathway. The handle also felt too narrow, which made my wrist sore (previous wrist issues, so I'm picky with my strollers). :( So, now I need to clean the wheels and take it back to TRU tomorrow... hopefully, they'll take it back. I'll check out the Triumph when I'm there.

I know the Quest has slightly bigger wheels, the carry handle on the side, and the extendable footrest (not something we need with a 3.5 and 6.5 year old)... is the seatback any higher on the Quest than the Triumph? What are the other differences?

Mel, I looked at the SilverCross, but can't find much info on them.

sigh... why is this so hard?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Jen, I have one sitting right here. Ask away :D I really need to take it to BRU to compare it to a Maclaren Quest.

okay... you asked for it. ;) :D

1. How does it fold?
2. What is the height from the bum/seat area to the foot rest? ie... how much leg room?
3. What is the seat depth?
4. What is the seat width?
5. What is the handle height? (floor to top of handle)
6. How good is the canopy?
7. How does the steering/pushing compare to the Zapp?
8. What else can you tell me?
9. Any pictures you want to share?

lovinwaves

1. How does it fold?

Umbrella like. Pop the main lock up, and then stomp the piece on the side then flick the stroller forward. Voila, it's folded! Super easy, and again maclarenish. It also has TWO automatic locks. My old Mac only had one automatic lock, and it didn't stay closed very well.

2. What is the height from the bum/seat area to the foot rest? ie... how much leg room?
3. What is the seat depth?
4. What is the seat width?
5. What is the handle height? (floor to top of handle)
6. How good is the canopy?
Eh, standard umbrella. The locks that hold it open seem to work well though There is also a peekaboo window as well.

Ha! Not even comparable. Dh hates the POP after being spoiled by the Zapp. Definitely not a stroller you can push with one hand. Getting through doors isn't *too* bad, but the Zapp makes any kind of pushing a breeze.

8. What else can you tell me?
The fabric is nice and squishy, it also is VERY similar in some of the places to the Britax Frontier....think that meshy breathable fabric. I love the super high handles. I feel more in control. I love the added touches of it saying "Silver Cross" all over (like on the handlebars). OH! There is this zipper pocket on the back of the hood that is great for keys, cell phone, etc..
The recline I haven't used much but it seems pretty easy and straight forward. Some people have mentioned theirs feeling 'wobbly', but honestly I didn't notice that at all.
9. Any pictures you want to share?

I need to get some, that's for sure. Maybe tomorrow :D

The rest of the questions(mainly things I need to measure) I will try and get done tomorrow for you. But for $89 you can't go wrong. It's a very high quality luxurious stroller....yes it's an umbrella, but it's not bad.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Ha! Not even comparable. Dh hates the POP after being spoiled by the Zapp. Definitely not a stroller you can push with one hand. Getting through doors isn't *too* bad, but the Zapp makes any kind of pushing a breeze.

:( I was afraid of that... the Zapp has totally spoiled me. :(

Maybe I need to go harrass Technogranola and try out her Buggster. We'll be down her way next week. :whistle: Although that is slightly above my $100 price range. :p

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Still going insane... but I think I found another contender. Here's what I've found for measurements... MANY thanks go to STROLLERQUEEN as the majority of these measurements were found on her website. :)

Baby Planet Solo Sport
seat to canopy: 24"
seat back 18"
seat depth: 11"
drop to footrest: 10"

Maclaren Twin Techno (guessing a Quest would be similar?)
seat to canopy: 25"
seat back: 18"
seat depth: 8"
drop to footrest: 8.5"

Quinny Zapp
seat back: 19.5"
seat depth: 8.5"
drop to footrest: 6" - 12" (listed as 12, but that's to the bottom... the step is only 6" which is where my kids put their feet)

Silver Cross Pop
seat to canopy: 25"
seat back: 18.5"
seat depth: 9"
drop to footrest: 9.5"

Valco Buggster
seat back: 21"
seat depth: 9"
drop to footrest: ? (listed as 12", but I think that's to the bottom, not the actual footrest - similar to the Zapp?)

Does anyone have a Baby Planet Solo Sport? It seems like it would work well for bigger kids?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC