so would you FF a just over 2yo & 31lb child?

so would you FF a 2yo 31lb child

• FF would be fine

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • should remain RF definitly til limits

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • RF til the short goal of end of summer- i suggested in the post i linked to

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • other

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Would I prefer to see a two-year-old still be rear-facing? Absolutely!

Do I think it would be awful to forward-face a two-year-old? No.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My answer: for carsickness, to keep other kids safe (like if only certain seats and configurations will work), or other safety/health related reasons, yes. For convenience, no.

skaterbabs

My DD was the same size as your son. She met the RF weight limit on her Touriva at 2 yrs 6 mos, and that is when we turned her FF. She did NOT enjoy FF, and screamed for ages.

fyrfightermomma

I had planned on turning my children around 31 lbs because I have 33 lb seats and don't want to weight them constantly. However, my children are very slow gainers.....so I didn't have to worry about that!

With future children that is my plan. I set age goals instead. At 2, I said, I'll try to make it to 2 1/2. At 2 1/2 I'll try to make it to 3.

I am in your boat. I am getting very frustrated wiht RFing. I have decided to reassess when she starts preschool. Whatever I decide I am ok with at this point.

You made it to two which is awesome! If you have a 33 lb seat at the age of 2 I wouldn't completely freak out about it. If you can get a few more months thats great! If its a 35 lb seat I would just set a goal of a few months down the road and reassess then!

ETA: FFing is definatly not a "welcome" change in our car. My daughter hates ffing, screams the whole way, is now a back seat driver, says her legs hurt, and kicks my seat. *sigh* I'll hate the day she "has" to be FFing cause now when shes irritating me I Just turn her back RFing. FFing definatly doesn't solve alot of problems. In our car it caused more!

Mommy2Marcus

I voted FF would be fine, but I somehow missed the end of summer goal one! I intend to keep Marcus RF for as long as possible. My goal when I turned him back RF was till 2, however now I want to RF to the limits. However DH wants to turn him ASAP when he turns 2. So I am going to try to get him to give me till 2 1/2 or 30lbs. We talked about it awhile back & decided we would talk about it when he reached 2 again. So I am hoping that he will not say anything, b/c if he doesn't then I am not. If I have my way he will stay RF!

scoutingbear

I have a 30 pound (I hope! MD appt isn't until next week) just turned 2 year old. He has a long torso and was on the verge of outgrowing his rf seat in dh's truck and we could no longer physically lift him into the seat with the truck being so high. So, he is now in a Nautalis in that vehicle. In my car he is rf in a MA and will be until he is AT LEAST 31 pounds. He likes it, but doesn't mind the FF either...although he tends to sleep more rf...less to look at and comment on. So, yes, I would do it if you need to but to me, it feels like my baby is all grown up whenever I see him in dh's car.

tiggercat

Yes, and I did. Megan hit 30lbs right about her 2nd birthday and seats only RF'd to 30lbs in Canada at the time (previously we've had 35/33lbs seats, and now the truefit is RF to 35, but at the time there were none).

I felt a bit uneasy about it for a little while.

wendy1221

My 2yo weighs over 35lbs, so he's been ff for a while now (he's in an older Boulevard, 33lb rf limit.) He STILL climbs into everyone else's seat and throws a fit that he can't sit in his older bro's booster or Regent. It has nothing to do w/ rf, it's just what 2yo's are like. ;)

btw, editing to add, I forgot to mention I voted turn him around. I think you've made it to 2, and that's great! Yes, rf is safer, but we can't rf forever, and making it to 2 is not too shabby at all, imo. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Mom to a few

Your other thread was asking people to convince you to keep your ds RF, but that's obviously not what you wanted anyone to do.

What you really want is to turn your child FF, and the assurance of other parents here that you aren't a terrible person for doing it.

Well, guess what?!? You aren't a terrible parent at all. You've kept your child RF for 2 yrs (which is much longer than most), and now you are ready to try something that you feel will be easier/more convenient for your family. There's nothing criminal about that at all. In real life, I try to convince people to RF till at least 2 yrs old, if possible. If they choose to FF at 2, I'm not going to give them a hard time. You should just make whatever decision you feel is best for your family. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC