car seat class at baby store?

Hollyob

I was just wondering if any baby stores ever hold classes on car seat safety. I went to a cloth diapering class at a baby store in Chicago a couple weeks ago, and I thought it was the perfect venue for a car seat class. This store also does classes on slings, childbirth, breastfeeding, infant CPR, etc, and I just bet their clientele would be open to learning about car seat safety (and be willing to pony up the money for HWH seats, etc). I was going to ask someone who worked there about it, but it would have been an empty question in that, if they were interested, I wouldn't be able to help them. I'm not a tech and I don't personally know any techs. I guess I could still ask them about it and point them toward Safe Kids if they are interested. Has anyone here ever done a class like that? Does that sound like a good idea?

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

I personally think that it sounds like a good idea, but I am not sure if it would take off or not. I think that the first thing would be to get the people who help people with the car seats in those store educated on proper harnessing. I know that alot of the people that work in those stores are very uneducated on car seat safety & often give out bad advice. As in telling people that their 1 year old needs to be FF or that their older children can not be RF. They also often reccomend the 3 in 1 or All in One seats over better seats.

So while I think it is a great idea personally, I think that the 1st step is to teach the workers the correct harnessing steps. I am also unsure how well people would percieve it.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
The Toy House in Jackson, Mich. has a series of classes for parents, including one on car seats. It looks like they offer it about four times a year.

I haven't been to one of the classes, but I DO know that Phil (owner) is a CPST and is very into car seat safety. He even used to hold seat check events at the store, Teri tells me, but now they have shifted to doing individual checks as parents ask. I would feel very comfortable with the information that parents are getting at this class. :thumbsup:

Hollyob

I think that the first thing would be to get the people who help people with the car seats in those store educated on proper harnessing. I know that alot of the people that work in those stores are very uneducated on car seat safety & often give out bad advice. \

I was thinking of something taught by a tech, not a store employee. The woman who did the cloth diapering class was not an employee (which surprised me). In fact, they don't even sell car seats there. That leads me to wonder if they would be interested in such a class, since it wouldn't make them any money. I guess it depends on whether they offer these classes more to educate parents or to sell products. My guess is it's both, but whether they would want to pay someone to come in and talk about a product they don't sell is anyone's guess.

I need to email someone from there for another reason anyway, so I'll just throw the idea out to her. It just seems like such a good setting for such an important class. :)

emandbri

I actually might end up doing something like this once I get re-certified. I'm not really sure exactly what the owner has in mind, don't have all the details.

pastrygirl

I'm going to be doing that at a place for expecting parents/new moms. It's not really a store by itself, but they do sell slings, diapers, BF stuff, etc. I offered to do a workshop and they liked the idea. It will fit in well with their CPR classes and the other classes they offer. :)

TerisBoys

I was thinking of something taught by a tech, not a store employee. The woman who did the cloth diapering class was not an employee (which surprised me). In fact, they don't even sell car seats there. That leads me to wonder if they would be interested in such a class, since it wouldn't make them any money. I guess it depends on whether they offer these classes more to educate parents or to sell products. My guess is it's both, but whether they would want to pay someone to come in and talk about a product they don't sell is anyone's guess.

I need to email someone from there for another reason anyway, so I'll just throw the idea out to her. It just seems like such a good setting for such an important class. :)

Phil is a tech (or former tech, I'm not sure he has a current cert). And I'm 99% sure that he does bring in other techs for the classes. I know he did for his checks. I wish he'd go back to doing them 2x a year like he did before.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Phil is a tech (or former tech, I'm not sure he has a current cert). And I'm 99% sure that he does bring in other techs for the classes. I know he did for his checks. I wish he'd go back to doing them 2x a year like he did before.

I wish he would, too!

*drools at the thought of the gift certificates Phil used to give people who worked at his seat checks*

TerisBoys

I wish he would, too!

*drools at the thought of the gift certificates Phil used to give people who worked at his seat checks*

Sadly right now, that GC would barely cover the money I had to spend in gas to GET there. ($40 GC *TO* ToyHouse).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC