WHY WHY WHY don't companies like Britax do TV commericals to educate people (who would buy their seats)???

Chrissy

Yes I know TV commercials are expensive -- but don't you think if Britax and other brands ran TV commercials to educate people and show them that they CAN harness their children past 40lbs, that a lot of people would buy their seats??

And how hard would it be for places like Walmart (which seems to be everywhere and easily accessible) to stock a few of the options available?

So many people don't even know that harnessing past 40lbs is an option!!!

ADS

Citrine

I never knew I was able to harness past 40lbs until I read about the Kyle Miller story. That was a year ago. After I read that I was determind to keep my then 3.5yr old harnessed as long as possible. I think at the time I was looking there was only 3 seats as an option to keep kids harnessed up to 65lb. I dont get it either. I see all the commericals about new cars and side curtain air bags, but never anything about car seats and how they may be able to save lives. I know Radian (sp) has been out awhile but no stores in South Carolina carry them. I was supprised I found a brtiax Regant here.

Ahzryn

I've started and erased a reply to this thread about three times now :( The thing is, a harnessed seat is not a magical cure to all crashes. Logically, we think a 5 point harness is a safer option than a three point seatbelt that fits properly with the use of a booster, but I don't think we have the data to back that up yet. What we DO know is that a 5 point harness is better at keeping a child in the proper position, so from that perspective, a properly positioned child in a 5 point harness IS safer than a child who is out of position in a three point harness. That's why for younger heavier children we recommend a 5 point...not because 5 points are superior, but because young children frequently lean out of position, sleep in the car, are easily distracted, etc etc. For mature children who will stay in position, I honestly don't know how much additional protection, if any, a 5 point harness grants.

There can be other factors to consider as well, like space for other children in the car, budget, the skill level of the installer/caregiver. I guess what I'm trying to say is I honestly don't think getting everyone to put their 50 pound kids in harnesses would necessarily be a good thing in all cases. I agree, for those who truely need them, I wish more knew the option was available. But, for a child over 40 pounds who sits properly, a booster is not an unsafe option, and for all we know it may not even be a less safe option. That's why CHOP collects the exhaustive data that they do, to answer those questions, and make some good come out of something so tragic.

amy919

I've started and erased a reply to this thread about three times now :( The thing is, a harnessed seat is not a magical cure to all crashes. Logically, we think a 5 point harness is a safer option than a three point seatbelt that fits properly with the use of a booster, but I don't think we have the data to back that up yet. What we DO know is that a 5 point harness is better at keeping a child in the proper position, so from that perspective, a properly positioned child in a 5 point harness IS safer than a child who is out of position in a three point harness. That's why for younger heavier children we recommend a 5 point...not because 5 points are superior, but because young children frequently lean out of position, sleep in the car, are easily distracted, etc etc. For mature children who will stay in position, I honestly don't know how much additional protection, if any, a 5 point harness grants.

There can be other factors to consider as well, like space for other children in the car, budget, the skill level of the installer/caregiver. I guess what I'm trying to say is I honestly don't think getting everyone to put their 50 pound kids in harnesses would necessarily be a good thing in all cases. I agree, for those who truely need them, I wish more knew the option was available. But, for a child over 40 pounds who sits properly, a booster is not an unsafe option, and for all we know it may not even be a less safe option. That's why CHOP collects the exhaustive data that they do, to answer those questions, and make some good come out of something so tragic.

I'm not so sure I agree. The crash test video comparing a harnessed seat to a booster speaks volumes for me. I don't need statistical data. I think the video says it all.

skaterbabs

:yeahthat:

A booster IS a safe choice for children past the minimums. While we would like to have the knowledge about HWH more available, for the average 7 yo there is NO problem with using a HBB.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC