Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Has this been discussed here?

http://www.babyalert.info/typesearch...p;amp;amp;%20#

I am surprised to see that NHTSA "recommends" it. Does that really mean anything?

Crystal, CPST Mama to Zoe 11/30/2006 , Ollie 1/3/2010 , Eli 9/24/2012 and Baby Isabel 7/23/2015

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Has this been discussed here?

I've never seen it. I really don't think it's a good idea to use a harness retainer clip that did not come with your seat...And I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but if you are that worried about forgetting your child, maybe you shouldn't have children

Senior Community Member emars002's Avatar

are they serious? if you need an alarm to remind you there is a baby in the car....
    Erin, mom to 2 great girls:
    ---------------10 forester--10 Odyssey
    M: 8y1m 41 lbs-----TB---------cybex
    S: 5y1m 39 lbs----80SL-------FN85

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieQ View Post
    I've never seen it. I really don't think it's a good idea to use a harness retainer clip that did not come with your seat...And I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but if you are that worried about forgetting your child, maybe you shouldn't have children
    Amen! I feel the same way! I think that if you can not remember your child on your own then you really do not need to have children!
    Krista Mommy 2 Marcus, 6 years old, 48 inches tall, 40-42lbs, 16 inch torso & riding in a Graco Safety Surround!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2Marcus View Post
    Amen! I feel the same way! I think that if you can not remember your child on your own then you really do not need to have children!
    Often the people who forget are parents who typically don't drive the kids, like a dad taking a baby to daycare when mom usually drops off. Then the autopilot-feeling of routine takes over and dad rushes into work thinking about his presentation. Meanwhile baby is silently sleeping in the locked car.

I really, really wish that at least all infant seats had to have this type of monitor built in. No one plans to forget their child.
    Bridget, mama to Abigail 04/15/04 30lb 38in (FF Princess Radian)
    Georgianna 08/22/07 ~27lb 31in (RF Shannon BLVD)
    Maple Kate's coming in October (Strawberry Coccoro)

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliantmama View Post
    Often the people who forget are parents who typically don't drive the kids, like a dad taking a baby to daycare when mom usually drops off.
    That's what just happened near me a few weeks ago. A dad who normally didn't being the baby to daycare was supposed to bring the baby that morning and he forgot. The child was left in the car all day and died as a result of the high temperatures.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cryswilkins View Post
    I am surprised to see that NHTSA "recommends" it. Does that really mean anything?
    To Crystal's original point, I find it very, very hard to believe that NHTSA actually recommends this. Do they recommend any products - especially after-market products?
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

It's being tricky. Unless I am missing something, if you look the alarm and other doodads do not say that. What does is the "cuddlers" (like a rolled up receiving blanket) and the "bibber" (which is shelf liner that they are charging $10.95 for )
    Jessica
    three across in a honda fit
    11y-literider/6.5y -affixHBB/8y-affixHBB

Quote Originally Posted by BookMama View Post
    To Crystal's original point, I find it very, very hard to believe that NHTSA actually recommends this. Do they recommend any products - especially after-market products?
    Sorry, I didn't want to start a debate on the forgetting kids in the car. I should have specified that in the OP.

I was just surprised to see the NHTSA was "recommending" such products. It looks HUGE I can't imagine replacing the chest clip with that.

Crystal, CPST Mama to Zoe 11/30/2006 , Ollie 1/3/2010 , Eli 9/24/2012 and Baby Isabel 7/23/2015

Quote Originally Posted by BookMama View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cryswilkins View Post
    I was just surprised to see the NHTSA was "recommending" such products. It looks HUGE I can't imagine replacing the chest clip with that.
    No, they do not recommend unregulated products.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Quote Originally Posted by emars002 View Post
    are they serious? if you need an alarm to remind you there is a baby in the car....

Be thankful you have never had problems and have a bit of grace for those who do please.

--Sarah & D.J. (3-20-04)
    DS (08/07) ~ 8 ~ 52 pound ~ Graco Highback Turbobooster -- 3rd Grade!
    DD (08/11) ~ 4 yr ~ 32 lb ~ Britax Roundabout 50, Maestro -- Pre-K!

Senior Community Member emars002's Avatar

i am thinking that it would be far more dangerous to use b/c of the effects it could have in a crash....the seat has not been tested with it - i think it may cause more harm than good b/c i would think you are more likely to be in a crash than need the alarm feature it offers - their wording is very "tricky" they really don't say which product specifically is approved.
    Erin, mom to 2 great girls:
    ---------------10 forester--10 Odyssey
    M: 8y1m 41 lbs-----TB---------cybex
    S: 5y1m 39 lbs----80SL-------FN85