News toddler killed in car crash today.

ADS

Shaunam

yeah I saw that. :( Just the fact that all the others were ok tell me she wasn't in the seat right, or it didn't perform right. Usually the kids in seats do better than everyone else.

We were just in the ER monday night and I saw some people come in. One was a woman they were wheeling in in a wheelchair. And one was a little boy about 3, still in his car seat. It took me a second to realize why they were carrying him in in his seat...because they were being extra cautious in case he had injuries they couldn't see. Anyway, the mom looked like she was in some pain. Like she just got a little banged up. The little boy was laughing and talking and waving his arms around...obviously fine. Oh but his car seat...you guys would have fainted. Old century maybe? Supposed to be an ohs, but that part was missing, so it was just a 3 point, with the straps horrible twisted. He did appear under the weight limit and his shoulders were just below the top slots.

Point is, even in an ancient car seat with twisted straps, this kid looked like he was doing better than his mom. To be *thrown* from the car, that has to be serious misuse or serious malfunction.

scatterbunny

:( So incredibly sad. I was already upset about the local (to me) crash that killed a 5yo girl today, and now this. :crying:

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
It would be OBVIOUS on the scene if the straps had ripped out of the back of the seat. And if that had happened...first thing I would check is age.

Susan

mimieliza

So terribly sad. When a baby is thrown from the car, there's no doubt that either the seat failed or it was misused. :(

ETA: looking at the pictures, the damage to the van isn't so bad. This baby should still be alive, if only they had been restrained correctly. Grrr... so upsetting.

Shaunam

So terribly sad. When a baby is thrown from the car, there's no doubt that either the seat failed or it was misused. :(

ETA: looking at the pictures, the damage to the van isn't so bad. This baby should still be alive, if only they had been restrained correctly. Grrr... so upsetting.

I hate to be so negative, but I'm inclined to believe it was misuse rather than seat malfunction. Car seat usage is just so bad around here. I'm not blaming the parents. Something needs to be done in this area to get people more educated. I told everyone I was up for volunteering at checks, but nobody has called me. They do event checks like twice a year in this county. It's pathetic. They need to be having them every week and teaming up with hospitals for classes, ect.

Ahzryn

They aren't any better over here :( Ours are once a month, but pretty much all we get are pregnant moms and infant seat installs. After that, I swear they think they are done!

Mommy2Marcus

WOW this just breaks my heart! For her to be thrown from the vehichle makes me believe that it was misuse as well. So sad!

As for misuse & better educating people. I feel that there should just also be better laws. However I know that that will not fix all the problems. It will not fix people that do not use their seats right, nor will it fix people not tightening the straps enough or not putting the chest clip in the right place. So while there should be a way to educate people, there does not seem to be.

I also see terrible misuse all the time here & in Bama. I see kids barely bigger than Marcus all the time in booster seats as well as in nothing at all & riding in the front seat! I want to scream at these people. As has been said many times though, we can not save them all!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC