Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Tie down straps or cargo net?

I have a 2008 CRV. It has a shelf in the back cargo area that can be removed. - it has plastic clips that you push into place to secure it. You can put light items on top of the shelf - I don't, the weight limit is 20lbs. I put everything under the shelf, but sometimes I need to remove the shelf for a bigger item, the shelf then sits on the floor of the cargo area. I've been thinking of getting either tie-downs or I saw this net in the AAA magazine about securing items in your car

http://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo...rtnum=CBNETT30

or there is this one
    http://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo...artnum=BNCCNET

What would you prefer - tie down straps or a net.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Tie down straps or cargo net?

It all depends on what you are hauling. If you are hauling large, bulky, sturdy items, ratchet straps are the simplest hands down. If you are hauling smaller items that are less rigid (such as bags of groceries), a net is the most practical option. Just make sure that the device is rated for the weights that you are hauling .

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Re: Tie down straps or cargo net?

Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    It all depends on what you are hauling. If you are hauling large, bulky, sturdy items, ratchet straps are the simplest hands down. If you are hauling smaller items that are less rigid (such as bags of groceries), a net is the most practical option. Just make sure that the device is rated for the weights that you are hauling .
    This is EXACTLY what I was going to say. In our Wagon and SUV, we used the tie downs for luggage, strollers, etc, and we used a net for groceries and other smallish items. I don't know how much good a net will do, but it's the only option available for items too small to be secured with tie-downs, so that's what I used.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!