Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

RF convertible seat truck crew cab

Hi! I have a son that is 5 months old. He is almost 20lbs and soon going to outgrow his Snugride. We are looking for a convertible rear facing car seat that will fit in my husbands truck. It is a 2006 Colorado crew cab and I can't find any info on what seat works the best. It doesn't seem like there is a lot of room in the back seat.
    Thank you for any help Michelle

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate
    Just about anywhere you can fit an infant seat with its base, you can fit a RF convertible. What is your budget like?
    “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes...
    That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away AND you have their shoes.”

I don't mind spending money on a car seat. I figure it would be less than a hospital bill.

A Britax Marathon (or the likes) if it's not too tall. Remember, it's ok if the seat is further 'braced' by the front seat. Meaning, it's ok if the restraint's back is snug against the back of the vehicle seat in front of it as long as it's a tight install on it's own.
    A Roundabout would be shorter, but you lose a bit in the weight limits

And that's all I know. I have no comparison with other seats.

~Tara~
    7 kids in 3 seats
    Ages 16yr - 2yr

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar
    Yes, get a Marathon (or other Britax 65 pound weight limit convertible) if your budget and space allow it. Babies can be more upright than 45 degrees when they are older with better head control, so keep that in mind. Also, like Tara said, Britax seats are allowed to be braced against the front vehicle seats, so you can install the seat tightly where you want it and then scoot the front seats back to push against the top of the carseat shell.

If you can't go with one of those, I would go with a Cosco Scenera over a Roundabout. Even though it's much cheaper and doesn't have as much padding or EPS foam, it has a taller shell so kids can rear-face in it longer (rear-facing is much safer than forward-facing, and studies show kids up to age 2 are 4 times more likely to die in a crash if they are forward-facing). It has a 35 pound rear-facing weight limit (Britax is 33 pounds).

Forward-facing the Scenera (or any 40 pound weight limit convertible) will not last nearly as long as the 65 pound weight limit seats, only about 2-4 years instead of 5-7 years.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Quote Originally Posted by mshel
    I don't mind spending money on a car seat. I figure it would be less than a hospital bill.
    Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Thanks for all your help. We are going to the store to purchase a car seat.

Toys R Us allows you to try a seat in your vehicle and most carry the Marathon, I believe. If it works for you, you could then order one online, there are really some GREAT covers for the Marathon (most of them are on Amazon)