OMG! This install made me shake!

Mom2MyStars

I just checked the install for my MIL who watches my nephew and it was HORRIBLE! First off my nephews parents are NOT interested in car seat saftey at. My BIL and FIL did the install.

To start, they had a VERY thick seat protector under the seat. They used the seat belt AND LATCH in a Honda that does not allow LATCH in the center. It is loose and the strapps could fit an elephant. It is a MA and they have it ff with the rf recline. We are going over tomorrow to reinstall for MIL when she has my nephew. I think the straps are going to be below his shoulders too. I have my work cut out! They don't understand why it sin't okay this way. They have seen the crash tests. MIL figures if BIL did it then it is fine. UGH!

He just turned one but the refuse to ERF.

ADS

fyrfightermomma

That's great that you are so concerned and hopefully your concern will show them how important this stuff is! Good job!!

However, I would direct them to the nearest tech to help teach and ensure the installation is correct as every car is very different and there may be issues with the seat or car that you are not aware of. Even though it is family, it is still a big liability to help install someone elses seats. Thats why as techs we have release forms parents have to sign. And also, sometimes info coming from a family member goes in one ear and out the other, but from a tech they listen to! (even if its the same info)

Good job with letting them know there were some things wrong. Hopefully he will be safe and snug very soon!

Mom2MyStars

I have tried and tried and tried to get them to take it to a tech. We have a store here that has them and they are AWESOME! They just will not do it. They don't think it is a big deal. I have even offered to go with to help with the baby or anything.

On another note, I counted 18 open car seats at toys r us today and several more that looked resealed. The 18 all looked like they had been taken home and opened. Everything was off and all over loose in the boxes.

Mom2MyStars

I just had an idea. I tried emailing a tech from the nation list that I am *hoping* is one that used to work at a store here. If it is her I know she is very good. She trained the other techs too.

Maybe if it is her, she still does checks and I can get her to "make a house call". I think she might do it if she knew the situation.

What do private techs typically charge?

JerseyGirl'sMama

That's great that you are so concerned and hopefully your concern will show them how important this stuff is! Good job!!

However, I would direct them to the nearest tech to help teach and ensure the installation is correct as every car is very different and there may be issues with the seat or car that you are not aware of. Even though it is family, it is still a big liability to help install someone elses seats. Thats why as techs we have release forms parents have to sign. And also, sometimes info coming from a family member goes in one ear and out the other, but from a tech they listen to! (even if its the same info)

Good job with letting them know there were some things wrong. Hopefully he will be safe and snug very soon!

Great advice. Chuckling over here at the 'sandwich technique.' :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC