Can't fit rear facing seat - need HELP!

U

Unregistered

I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle with 3 rows. The middle row is 2 captains chairs. My 3 month old is currently in an Evenflo Portabout that was my 3 year old's. The problem is that the base sits off the front of the seat by almost an inch. I called the local police department and they told me that it's not a problem? Is this true?

Also, the seat reclines so far that the front seats are near impossible to sit in.

Does anyone know of a good seat that would fit? Everything I've tried hits the back of the front seat.

I'm not going to put her in the 3rd row, either.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I've read here that is true ... so long as the carseat base has no movement or less than 1" worth & at least 80% of the carseat base is in contact with the vehicle seat.

I have the 2005 Freestar with middle row bench that has a sliding tract -- not sure how the space compares, but I was able to fit the Graco Safe Seat 1 & Britax Wizard (like the Marathon) in the middle row with space enough for the front passenger seat to be all the way back (not reclined, but the base moved back & upright).

scatterbunny

It is correct that hanging off the edge of the seat by an inch is fine; as long as 80% of a carseat's base is touching the vehicle seat, it's fine. :)

Some seats (though not Evenflo) are also fine touching the front vehicle seat(s). Britax convertibles are a brand that actually encourage you to have the top of the carseat shell braced against the front vehicle seat(s), especially if the child is rear-facing to the limits of the seat (33 pounds).

Really, you should not have any problems with most convertible seats. They are not any bigger, once installed, and an infant seat.

How is she fitting the Portabout? How much seat shell does she have above her head? What is her height and weight?

Do you want to keep her in an infant seat longer, or move to a convertible now?

U

Unregistered

Thanks for your quick replies. I want her in whatever seat is safest for her and fits best in my car. I don't care if that means an infant seat or a convertable. I have no problem getting a new seat later.

She's 3 months old, weighs 13 pounds and for the life of me I can't remember her height (rotten mommy). I know she was in the 50%.

U

Unregistered

I forgot to answer the other question.

I'm honestly not too happy with the way she fits in the Portabout. She seems scrunched in there. My 3 year old used the seat until she was 14 months with no problem.

scatterbunny

Since the Portabout is giving you problems, I'd upgrade to a convertible now. If you can give us your maximum budget, let us know if you'll need seats for any other vehicles or just your own, we can come up with some recommendations. :)

Generally, though, the Britax 65 pound weight limit convertibles (Marathon, Decathlon and Boulevard) are the top picks not just because they are expensive and a certain brand, but because they last much longer than other convertibles (so end up being quite a bargain, in the long-term, because they save you another seat purchase later).

The Cosco Scenera is the #2 pick.

We generally avoid Graco and Evenflo convertibles for various reasons. I'm in a hurry now, but I'll post back with more info later.

U

Unregistered

I'd love to say there's no budget for my girls' safety, but that's not realistic. My 3 year old is in a Graco Platinum CarGo. I will say that I bought it for the higher weight limit as I want her in a 5 point harness forever and will not be using it as a booster seat. I'm not happy with the booster set up. She was previously in a ComfortSport. Tell me why you don't like the ComfortSport? I have to admit I loved it and was planning to buy another one. I don't like Evenflo seats. Won't even consider them. Now don't flail me - I've never been a big fan of the Britax. Honestly, I think the price tag is insane for a seat that has the same safety ratings as much lower priced seats. But, please - inform me if I am wrong!

My in-laws watch both of my girls, so I need 2 new car seats. Kaylie (my 3 year old) is a 1/2 inch away from the height requirement on the ComfortSport, but she only weights 29 pounds. I was just going to buy another CarGo for her. I was planning on having her put Teagan (my 3 month old) in the ComfortSport.

They drive around with the kids as much as I do, so I wouldn't really consider their secondary seats. They need to be as safe as the ones in my car.

scatterbunny

The Graco CarGo has a regular 40 pound harnessed weight limit. The only seats with a higher harnessed weight limit are the Britax Marathon, Decathlon, Boulevard, Regent, the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe, the Sunshine Kids Radian and the Cosco/Safety 1st Apex. So higher weight limit choices are pretty limited, and the only budget option (less than $180) is the Apex, at $130. However, it is only acceptable to use this particular seat in vehicles with tall seatbacks or headrests. There needs to be vehicle seatback or headrest at least up to the tips of the child's ears at all times. In other words, the carseat does not provide adequate head protection.

We don't recommend the ComfortSport (or any Evenflo convertibles), first of all, because of it's low (30 pound) rear-facing weight limit. Rear-facing longer is safer, the American Academy of Pediatrics has recommended for years to keep kids rear-facing until they max out the rear-facing limits of the convertible seat. Research shows that kids up to age 2 are four times more likely to die in a crash if they are forward-facing. Kids in Sweden rear-face to 55 pounds and in a five year timespan only 9 children rear-facing were killed in car crashes, and those involved severe intrusion into the vehicle. In stark contrast, car crashes killed 1,638 children ages 14 years and younger in the year 2004 ALONE, and approximately 214,000 were injured. That’s an average of 5 deaths and 586 injuries each day. :(

See this page for more rear-facing information: http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

Be sure to watch the crash test video comparisons of RF and FF. ;)

In addition to the low rear-facing weight limit, the ComfortSport has the lowest top harness slot height of all convertible carseats on the market. This is bad because a seat is outgrown forward-facing when the tips of the child's ears go over the top of the seat shell OR when the child's shoulders go over the top harness slots. Stated height limit in the manual doesn't matter; all kids are built differently, some are all torso, others are all legs, others are evenly proportioned. Long-torsoed and/or lightweight kids will outgrow seats with low top harness slots long before reaching 40 pounds.

Example: my dd outgrew her Cosco Alpha Omega by height at 38 inches tall and 33 pounds. She would have already been too tall for the ComfortSport by 36 inches tall and 30 pounds.

A ComfortSport costs roughly $80-$100, for maybe 3 years' worth of use (and that's stretching it for almost every child), then another seat with taller top slots is needed to actually get a child to at least 40 pounds in a harness. So, add the cost of another harnessed seat ($80-$120 for a CarGo), and you've spent $160-$220 to keep a child harnessed to 40 pounds.

Going with a Britax 65 pound weight limit convertible for $250 means you don't have to buy another seat AND it means your child will get to stay in a harness not just to 40 pounds, but well beyond 40 pounds. It puts off the booster stage by another 2-3 years for most kids (and if you'd like crash test video comparisons of harnessed seats vs. boosters, I have those, too).

The Britax price tag is partly because you can use the seat for so much longer than any other seat, and partly because of the extra level of comfort they provide, and also their ease-of-use. Compared to any other carseat I've used (Graco ComfortSport, Cosco Alpha Omega, Cosco Touriva, Century SmartFit, Nania Airway, Fisher Price Futura, Evenflo Chase, Graco CarGo and Britax Husky, I'm sure I've forgotten some), the Britax is BY FAR the easiest for me to use and my daughter's favorite, by far.

Still, there are other options that will work, and keep your children safe. Britax seats may have added features, but they all pass the same minimum federal standards. We have no way of knowing if any one exceeds the other. We just have to do our research on things like harnessed weight limits, rear-facing limits, top harness slot heights and ease-of-use.

So you have your 3yo in a CarGo in the main vehicle, she is 39.5 inches and 29 pounds? And in a ComfortSport in the IL's vehicle? So you want a new seat for the IL's car for the 3yo?

And baby is in the Portabout in your car, and probably has a base in the IL's car for now?

3yo may already be too tall (shoulders above top slots) for the ComfortSport. I'd have no problems with the IL's using the ComfortSport for the baby in their car, provided they can use it properly rear-facing. Sometimes the lever adjuster is wedged into the vehicle seatback and next to impossible to access. It's important that they can install it and use it properly for it to be safe for her.

A CarGo would be a fine second seat for the 3yo, BUT you don't like it as a booster, so consider the Evenflo Bolero or Generations. I know you don't like Evenflo, and it will feel a little flimsy compared to the CarGo, probably, but it is a safe seat, with tall top slots (about the same as the CarGo), and it makes a good long-term booster when the time comes.

If you love the CarGo and would rather get another one of those, that's fine, too (Evenflo, Graco and Recaro are the only 40 pound harnessed weight limit combination harnessed/booster seats we recommend because the others have short top harness slots), but I thought I'd mention something that makes a good booster. The Recaro Young Sport is the absolute best combo seat, but it is pricey ($250).

Okay, I've gone on for way too long, LOL. Hopefully I explained myself well enough, if not, I'll post back later. :)

U

Unregistered

Thank you very much for the information. You responded so quickly and have been totally non-judgemental. Much appreciated!

I really am considering the Britax for Teagan in my car if it fits. You make a good point about the ComfortSport and how hard it is to adjust the straps when it's rear facing. I had forgotten about that already!

I'm going to look into the Evenflo seats you recommended as well.

skaterbabs

I wanted to add that if you cannot or choose not to buy a Britax seat for the baby, go with the Scenera ($40 at Wal-Mart & Target, you can get a more "cushy" version at ToysRUs/BabiesRUs for $60.) The Evenflo convertibles aren't great, and Evenflo seats do not harness past 40 lbs in the US.

scatterbunny

I think she's talking about looking into the Evenflo Bolero/Generations for the older dd. :)

I agree, if you don't decide on a Britax for the baby, go with a Scenera.

skaterbabs

Yes, but if she wants to keep her older child harnessed past 40 lbs the Evenflo seats won't do it. It will be better than the CarGo in the booster dept tho.

scatterbunny

True, which is why I always recommend Britax first--but her dd is 3 and just 29 pounds. She'll be at least 5 before hitting 40 pounds, and since the Graco and Evenflo combos have roughly the same height top slots as the Britax 65# wl seats, they are something to consider.

I would personally get a Scenera for baby for the main vehicle, and one Britax seat for the 3yo in the main vehicle, then use the CarGo and the ComfortSport in the secondary vehicle for those kids.

When baby gets too big to rear-face in the Scenera (2-3 years from now, most likely) put baby in the Britax seat to continue rear-facing if he is below the RF weight limit and move big sister to a booster. Then use either the Scenera or CarGo for baby in the secondary vehicle and get a booster for big sister for the secondary vehicle.

Lilsid

I have had many Britax seats and my DD is only 18 months old. I really feel they are so much more substantial. They are a heavy seat that is so well constructed, well padded and has EPS foam. If you are not familiar with the Versa Tether strap then you are missing out (at least that’s how I feel). The Versa Tether allows you to tether the car seat in the rear facing position also. This is an awesome feature; my DD’s seat feels so secure and tight. Britax and Radian are the only seats that allow this.

I made a huge mistake of buying the Cosco Scenera car seat to use rear facing as an extra for a trip we just took. I guess I am Britax Spoiled, because no other seat will do. I hated this car seat, it is to light to feel safe, and the harness is hard to adjust no matter what I did. It doesn’t have the EPS foam, and the cover is too thin on the sides to make sleeping comfortable. The latch has these flimsy little clips on them that don’t look like they can hold anything. I was easy to install, but no matter how tight I got the seat belt to hold the seat in place (the seat had no movement at all at the belt path) the top just moved all over and the entire seat would bounce when I put my baby in and took her out. I am so glad we only went a few places and we were ok.

I will say the Scenera is light to carry thought the airport, and easy to install FF on the plane. I put DD ff on the plane only so she could watch DVD’s on the tray table. We tool small commuter planes the entire way and the Scenera fit great. But I will take a Britax next time. To me my child’s safety is worth almost $300 plus I will get so many years out of it up to 65 lbs harnessed.

Sorry to be negative but I really can’t stand any other seat then Britax, Recaro, and the Radian feel well built also.

If you cant fund the price tag for Britax then I would go with the Fisher Price seat that is made by Britax, or the Radian. They are both running neck and neck in price.

U

Unregistered

Thanks, everyone. We're going shopping tomorrow to actually try the seats you suggested. My only concern is how well these seats will fit in my car since the infant seat seems so big. Which one rear facing is the smallest?

skaterbabs

The Cosco seat is pretty small, but the reality is they're all about the same size. For what it's worth, I drive a 2 door Jeep Cherokee and have no problems RF my daughter's Marathon.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
In general if you can fit an infant seat in there, you should be able to get in a RF convertible seat. There's a girl on here who has a RF Marathon AND a Graco SafeSeat 1 in the back of her 2 door cavalier---if that works....almost anything should in my mind...unless you only have a 2 seater.

Susan

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC