Got my Recaro Signo :)-pic heavy

fyrfightermomma

So I went to USA baby to try out the TF, Young Style (or is it sport?) and the Signo to replace my Frontier. The TF was on sale for $149 so I was tempted but the fabric was kinda scratchy. There also didn't seem to be a huge amount of side impact protection and that bad boy was huge RFing in my car (i can't have any seats touch my front passenger seat). So that was out. The Young Style (or sport, I can never remember) was on sale too, but the head wings seemed a little too much. Those were huge.

I was mainly looking for good recline and the Signo had the best. It was the most "babyish" but oh well. It reclined well, the headwings didn't seem too huge, and RFing I had plenty of room. I also liked it had a lot of Britax features which I am used to and comfortable with. So I bought it :)

One concern I had was that everyone said it had the huge base. However, next to my MA it was only a smidge higher. In my car, it seems the same height so I am confused on that. (sorry for the crappy pics..my camera is on its last leg!)
100_2202.jpg

Harness height was a smidge taller than the MA. It was hard to get an accurate measurement since this seat has a lot of fluff! I got a little over 18"
100_2206.jpg

Shoulder room was way bigger. I got about 11" in the middle across on the Signo vs 9 inches across on the MA
100_2207.jpg

100_2209.jpg

Has pretty much the same adjustment as the BLVD did.
100_2210.jpg

So pretty

100_2211.jpg

The side view. Has metal bars like the MA but it was MUCH easier switching the LATCH connectors from RFing to FFing. Also has a kinda strange FFing lock off and a "normal" RFing lock off

100_2212.jpg

In the car...great recline (my seats require 2 "clicks" of recline for LATCH installation which helps with that!)

100_2213.jpg

Another side view
100_2214.jpg

The shoulder pads have "grippys" to keep them where they belong however they seem so huge I'm not sure how you'd use them on a younger child without having a belly clip.

100_2215.jpg

A past complaint people had was that they replaced the crotch buckle with a cheapy Dorel one but didn't change the belly pad size to match. It appears they have now :)

100_2216.jpg

And my favorite thing...the quote on the box...it says "don't get cute, get Recaro" Hmm...wonder who they are talking about

100_2217.jpg

So far no kiddo to try the seat out as they go to the sitters on Tuesdays but I will take pics when I pick them up. I like it so far.

Just a few problems though-no where in the manual or on the seat does it list an expiry or do not use after date. I'm sure we know what it is here, but how is the general public supposed to know (and umm...I dont know either). I am disappointed as I was in a hurry and didn't look at the DOM before I left (the store is pretty far away) but it is 10/07. Thats almost a year old. If its a standard 6 year expiry I am gonna be disappointed. My kid will be 8, but still...What do you guys think? Should I take it back? I just cant imagine how many they sell around here (umm probably none) so I doubt they have much better DOM's there.

The manual also didn't address the huge amount of padding it comes with. Doesn't say when you can and can't use it. Is it just for little peanuts or what?

Also, they have the RFing section worded strange. It says "rfing is for children who weight 5-35 pounds AND are less than one year of age." Good way to make people think you can't use it RFing after age 1. However on a sticker on the side of the seat it says "rear face as long as possible"

Anyone know if it has to be a 45 degree angle? The manual says it MUST be so I was just wondering.

So so far I am pleased. I'll have to see if DD1 likes it to see if I really am gonna get rid of her Frontier and I'll have to make the decision on whether to trek all the way back 45 min to see if they have a newer DOM which they probably don't!

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Congrats on your new Signo! Such a purty girly cover. :)

Signos and Comos manufactured before Dec. 2007 had a recall affecting the harness splitter plate. Since yours has an Oct. 2007 DOM, I'd double check on your Signo's harness splitter plate to be sure it has the end caps on both sides that were added for the recall to keep the harness from slipping off the splitter plate - details of the recall and pictures of the splitter plate before and after the end caps fix are in this thread: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=37225 I couldn't quite make out enough of your splitter plate in your photo to tell if yours has the end caps. :eek:

I've also heard the Signo/Como expiration is 6 years but I'm blanking on the source and whether it was posted here or on another board. :eek: I would use the padded insert at your discretion depending on the comfort and size of your kiddo, and I also found the Signo tends to be pretty upright in rear facing mode and might need a pool noodle to achieve a 45 degree angle for a younger infant/newborn. For an older toddler (such as my DD2 when she began to ERF in a Signo and Como last fall), a 45 degree recline angle or pool noodle isn't necessarily needed IMHO.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Jean, is there a story about the FF lockoff? Is that the one that's just a 'belt guide' and the reason they now send out the seat with a locking clip?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Jean, is there a story about the FF lockoff? Is that the one that's just a 'belt guide' and the reason they now send out the seat with a locking clip?

That's what I recall as well Julie. The FFing lock-off is not a true lock-off. :(

3acorns4Christy

Ohhh I like it!!! I've been drooling over those since they came out, but I have two MA's for one kid...maybe I could get that instead of an infant seat for the next bean.

fyrfightermomma

Congrats on your new Signo! Such a purty girly cover. :)

Signos and Comos manufactured before Dec. 2007 had a recall affecting the harness splitter plate. Since yours has an Oct. 2007 DOM, I'd double check on your Signo's harness splitter plate to be sure it has the end caps on both sides that were added for the recall to keep the harness from slipping off the splitter plate - details of the recall and pictures of the splitter plate before and after the end caps fix are in this thread: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=37225 I couldn't quite make out enough of your splitter plate in your photo to tell if yours has the end caps. :eek:

I've also heard the Signo/Como expiration is 6 years but I'm blanking on the source and whether it was posted here or on another board. :eek: I would use the padded insert at your discretion depending on the comfort and size of your kiddo, and I also found the Signo tends to be pretty upright in rear facing mode and might need a pool noodle to achieve a 45 degree angle for a younger infant/newborn. For an older toddler (such as my DD2 when she began to ERF in a Signo and Como last fall), a 45 degree recline angle or pool noodle isn't necessarily needed IMHO.

Yep, mine had the "fix". Thanks for letting me know. I had no idea!

fyrfightermomma

That's what I recall as well Julie. The FFing lock-off is not a true lock-off. :(

Hmmm...I take that part back then. So in the manual the RF lock off is a "belt clamp" and the FF is a "belt guide". How bad do you think that will confuse people?? Now I know why for the life of me couldn't figure out how it would lock a seatbelt. Why do you need a guide?? Isn't the big hole enough of a guide?? :confused:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member

Ah yes, supposedly the lock-offs that aren't truly functional as lock-offs was an issue affecting earlier DOM Comos, and remedied by Recaro with slightly different lockoffs (referred to as belt guides instead of lockoffs in the revised manual :rolleyes:) by the time the Signos were in regular production by late Sept./early Oct. 2007. However, if the belt guides or whatever they're called in your manual don't actually hold the seatbelt in a vehicle with non-locking seatbelts, then a locking clip would be necessary.

fyrfightermomma

Now I am really confused. I reread the manual. For the "non locking ELR lap/shoulder installation" it specifically says to put it in the guide and close it. Then it says "your signo is ready for use". It says nothing in the entire manual about a locking clip. Mine didn't come with one either. So umm...if its a guide and doesn't lock the seatbelt, how do they think you are going to lock the seatbelt?????

I am second guessing this Recaro thing now. First its an old DOM, then the lock off isnt a lock off, then the manual doesnt tell you the expiration, when to use the padding or how to lock the freaking seatbelt if yours doesnt lock!!

arly1983

Now I am really confused. I reread the manual. For the "non locking ELR lap/shoulder installation" it specifically says to put it in the guide and close it. Then it says "your signo is ready for use". It says nothing in the entire manual about a locking clip. Mine didn't come with one either. So umm...if its a guide and doesn't lock the seatbelt, how do they think you are going to lock the seatbelt?????

I am second guessing this Recaro thing now. First its an old DOM, then the lock off isnt a lock off, then the manual doesnt tell you the expiration, when to use the padding or how to lock the freaking seatbelt if yours doesnt lock!!

Yeah, the manual is not the best written one in the world. :eek: I would just call the number in the link and see if your seat is one of the affected ones. I am *hoping* their CS has improved. Generally all the people I got a hold of had no idea what I was talking about.

As for the huge base, it doesn't get really huge until the kid is RFing and you are trying to lift them up and over the high sides, LOL.

Mama!

Hmmm...I take that part back then. So in the manual the RF lock off is a "belt clamp" and the FF is a "belt guide". How bad do you think that will confuse people?? Now I know why for the life of me couldn't figure out how it would lock a seatbelt. Why do you need a guide?? Isn't the big hole enough of a guide?? :confused:

The Comos were bad with that FF lockoff, but our Signo FF lockoff actually WORKS. As in, old crappy cars and their belts.

Your Signo is actually around the same age as mine, maybe a little younger. Since yours was put out, the manual was rewritten and words added to clarify.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC