DD moving the chest clip down?

mburks26

dd just started this hopefully it was fluke. Seat is a GN yes it the harness was tight couldnt pinch anywhere and then dd still wanted it tighter so I tightend it up some more. When Im by myself its hard to watch her so if the harness is tight like it should be then if dd moves it down it should be ok since the chest clip would most likely break in a crash anyway right?

ADS

April

My 3yo does this and right from the get go I told her that if she does it, we pull over and don't move until its back up, and if she continues to do it, she will stay home. (Obviously I wouldn't be able to keep her home all the time, but she doesn't know the difference.)

Sure enough, she's done it a handful of times and as soon as I notice it, I pull over and say "we're going to sit on the side of the road until Rayn fixes her car seat." I do the same with the older kids if they're leaning forward in their boosters. And with them I throw in a comment like "if we got in a crash and you're sitting like that you're face will smash into the seat in front of you and your face will be broken forever." I think a little scare tactic is fine, just my opinion. They've pretty much gotten the hint that I'm serious about sitting in their carseats safely so it's been really minimal after a few weeks.

miraclebabies

My 18 month old just started doing this to. Her straps are tight and when she gets bored and mad she pulls it down. I just move it back up at the next stop light.

Jeff

it should be ok since the chest clip would most likely break in a crash anyway right?

No, I think it needs to be up around the armpits when the crash starts to happen so that the shoulder straps will more or less dig into the shoulders before the clip breaks versus the straps being able to slide off the side of the shoulders if the clip is too low.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, it really should be properly positioned. A 3 year old can understand that, so you need to just talk to her about it.

:)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I would also try to find out why she's moving it down. Maybe it's just because she can, but maybe there's a reason. DD has moved her chest clip down several times in the past few weeks, and I just reached back to push it up. When we stopped not too long afterward, I noticed that her shoulder pads were over her chest more than her neck, and the straps were digging into her neck. (And perhaps they were a tad too tight. :whistle:) She was moving the chest clip down because she was uncomfortable and thought that would help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC