If your SS1 died, what would you get?

Splash

I TOLD her it wouldn't survive the shed, no matter how many bags she put it in.

It's dead. Rats. We only used it a few months.

So, I LOVE the KeyFit. I really really do. And if I were buying one right now with nothing else to it, I'd probably get that. But... I have a SS1 base already (the base is fine, it was in the house for some odd reason). Since it's SO difficult to fit a convertible in my car, it would be convenient to have another base in my car, *if* I can make it fit.

The advantages of the SafeSeat over the KeyFit is the extra base, and a company with a lot of car seat manufacturing (versus being almost brand new for the Chicco... a smashing success, but still a newcomer).

What do you think the best option is?

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I do so love the Chicco... although I've never seen one irl... but I had small babies that stayed small for a *long* time. Both were only 12lbs at 5 months old.

I also *love* the SS1... you really can't go wrong.

How's that for indecisiveness?

BW1426

Did the rats ruin the shell? Ick, just the thought of rats makes my skin crawl.

The Key Fit is going to be shorter front to back, which could be helpful in your car. That also means it won't last as long.

Splash

No, no rats. The rats didn't eat it. I just said rats as an expletive.

Actually, she said it might have been rats. Ick. I hate Florida.

courtfrog2

Was it these guys? I try and keep an eye on them! LOL

P1010365.jpg

P1010364.jpg

So sorry that it happened. I have no experience in infant buckets... I didn't get obsessed with carseats until after my kids were out of the buckets.

BW1426

No, no rats. The rats didn't eat it. I just said rats as an expletive.

:ROTFLMAO:

All that I can picture is all these rats going crazy with the harness.

And Courtfrog you HAD to post that pic didn't you :p Seriously, I had to stop coming to the board at night when we had favorite pet week because you avatar pic was giving me the heebie jeebies at nights. I HATE rodents. That's mean, but it's true.

Splash

I love PET rats. Great pets. NOT great yard buddies.

Really, my car seat? I would have given them whatever they wanted...

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
What are the chances of you getting a new car before the baby is 6-9 months old? If you had a different car that the a convertible installed well in, that might make you feel differently about which infant seat.

I understand about getting a SS1 because you already have a base. The KeyFit is just so dag gone easy to install. Would you truely NEED another base...or could you switch out one as needed? I base truely need on one of you drops off at daycare and the other picks up. Is Charlie in both cars equally? Really if you find that you're in one car about 80% of the time...I don't think I would bother with an extra base....because it is just that easy to install. We have just one base and it'll next to never be in my husbands car, so having an extra doesn't make sense to us.

I'm not sure if I helped or not....blame it on pg brain.

Susan

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I absolutely loved my SS1 with Jonas, and am also in the camp of never having seen a keyfit.

I know your subaru is a beast for carseats, so honestly I'd probably go somewhere and try the keyfit base out in your car to see how it installs - I'm guessing you'll have to have each kid outboard or will one be able to stay center?

With the SS1 having a bigger shell, it could actually be a benefit to you since I recall you had a difficult time with the rf'ing convertible. That longer shell would mean the seat would be able to be used longer before you had to start fighting with a convertible seat.

But hey, try them both out and I'm guessing you'll develop a favorite pretty fast. :thumbsup:

skipspin

Hmmmmm. I think the SS1 is better if you expect another big baby. It's much roomier and taller than the Chicco. OTOH, will you use it till it's outgrown? I didn't buy one (SS1) because I knew I would switch to a convertible by the time baby was 20#, and ended up switching in my primary vehicle when we was around 15# anyway, so it wouldn't have been worth it- especially since I had a seat (well, two actually) already.

If you really want a chicco and don't care that is lasts as long as the SS1 then go for it. It's really nice and if I was buying whatever infant seat I wanted today that's what I would get. My DH even suggested getting the Chicco until he realized that I already had two infant seats. I really should hide them better next time!

wendy1221

Isn't Britax coming out with a new baby bucket? Probably to compete w/ the SS1. I LOVED my Companion. I'm using it again for this baby on the way.

btw, I hope it's not rude to ask, but are you pregnant this time or is your wife/partner? Either way, congrats!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Isn't Britax coming out with a new baby bucket? Probably to compete w/ the SS1.

So far as I'm aware this is only rumor. ABC kids show in the fall will tell the final tale, but at the KIM conference the only new seat from Britax was the click'n safe which is basically a BLVD with a notification mechanism to tell you when the seat is properly tightened. :thumbsup:

Splash

She's the pregnant one again. Just because I have plumbing doesn't mean the house is fit to occupy. ;)

I really loved the SS1. I had not a single complaint about it. There is virtually zero chance of my getting another car, and this installs far better without the base, actually. Installs center with the base very easily, but I would have to use the Radian, which he hates, for Charlie. Or the BV, maybe. We'll see.

It's probably gonna be another SS1. I really do like the seat, and Charlie was so giant, I want to prepare for another huge kiddo.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Personally, if I had to choose today, I'd go Chicco. But I have small, tiny babies that don't fit well in SS1. :shrug-shoulders:

wendy1221

I have giant babies, too. Like I said, I really like my Companion. But the SS1 wasn't out yet when I bought it. I probably would have gotten that if it had been out and I knew about it. ds outgrew the Companion around 4-6 mos sometime by weight.

mimieliza

I would get another SS1. I seriously love that seat. And there's so many nice covers now! There were only about three to choose from when M was born, so we have a deadly boring navy/white plaid.

Splash

I'm getting another SS1. I just have to find one. I love the baby trend as well (the first seat we had for Charlie), but the SS1 is just so much nicer.

cpsaddict

I just love the Safeseat. I got both of my sisters one. One in Eclipse, but it tends to get hot with the fuzzy sides. I got my other sister the Laguna Green which is more like thermal material, but very soft and breathable. Online pics do not do the green justice. It's so nice and seems as though it would not be nearly as hot as the Eclipse.
I just love installing it. LOL!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC