Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

AO weight 40 or 65? I'm confused!

On another board that I chat on, we were discussing car seats and one of the moms mentioned that she had the A/O and likes it because it harnesses to 65 lbs (among other things obviously ).
    I thought it was only 40 lbs but didn't want to say anything without "knowing my stuff" so I looked at it on babies r us website and it says 40 lbs.
    I questioned her about it and she says her manual says 65 lbs.

SO.... which is it???
    CPST & Stay at home Cake-decorating/Scrapbooking/Photo Mom to
    Kyrie-10 in Harmony NBB & 5 stepping
    Trey-7 in Monterrey/parkway HBB
    Carter 12/2012 RF in Foonf & Rhett 10/2014 in ClickConnect 40

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

Re: AO weight 40 or 65? I'm confused!

Does she have an Alpha Omega or an Alpha Elite? Alpha Elite is like the Apex - harness to 65, booster to 100.

All 3-in-1's harness to 40 pounds and most of them are a booster until 80lbs but some of the newer ones booster until 100lbs.

HTH
    Jamii ~ CPST ~ Foster Mom
    DS1 / 14 / Seatbelt * DS2 / 11 / Seatblet * DD / 8 / Spectrum and Rodifix * And a RF Headwise for Tiny

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

That's right... the 3-in-1s harness to 40 pounds. The Apex (also called a bunch of other names, including Alpha Elite) harnesses to 65 pounds.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

Oooh. Gotcha.
    BUT, here's what BRU discription of it says!

Features

* 3-in-1 car seat the only car seat you will ever need

* QuickFit harness system height adjusts easily w/ the headrest w/o rethreading.

* 5-35 lbs rear facing, 22-40lbs forward facing 40-100 belt positioning

* 4 position head rest adjusts with harness never needs re-threading

* 5 point harness, 3 position crotch strap, 3 position recline

Product Description

Designed to grow with your child, the 3-in-1 Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat in Bella from Cosco can also become a belt-positioning booster. With energy-absorbing foam, this car seat features a QuickFit harness system for easy height adjustments without rethreading, a 5-point harness, 3-position crotch strap, 3-position recline, and a 4-position headrest. The seat will support children weighing 5-35 lbs. rear-facing, 22-40 lbs. forward-facing, and 40-100 lbs. in the belt-positioning booster mode.

Right, but this one is also called the Alpha Elite.

Features

* Alpha Elite Apex Booster in Bridgewater

* 22-65 lbs WithI nternal Harness

* 40-100 lbs as Belt Positioning Booster

* EPP Foam in Headrest

* Detachable Cup Holder
    She might just be confused and might think the AOElite and the AElite are the same thing.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot201 View Post
    Right, but this one is also called the Alpha Elite.

She might just be confused and might think the AOElite and the AElite are the same thing.
    Hmmm, this is what she said about it:
    we have the Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Carseat Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat in Bella - Dorel Juvenile Group - Babies "R" Us
    It is shown here in pink/brown but it also comes in gray. It's about $150.

I'll have to ask her if it's actually that one!

Dorel makes it confusing by calling their seats a million different names or using similar names for extraordinarily different seats.

For example:

Alpha Omega Elite
    Alpha Elite Apex

Safety 1st Apex
    Alpha Elite Apex
    Safety 1st Biltmore

Safety 1st All-in-One
    Cosco Alpha Omega
    Safety 1st 3 Phase
    Eddie Bauer 3-in-1

This is just a small sampling of Dorel's weird labeling.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Yeah, Dorel just TRIES to make things as desparately confusing as they possibly can. Stay on your toes, the 3-in-1's will now be going to 50 pounds

Dorel
    Beginning in August, the Alpha Omega and Alpha Omega Elite harness weight will increase to 50 lbs. The top harness height limit of the AO increases to 17″ and the AOE increases to 17.5″. Dorel has removed the restriction about using the top slot position for booster mode only, so that’s where the seats gain the extra height. The labels will also be color-coded for rear-facing, forward-facing, and booster mode and will color match their sections in the manual.

www.carseatblog.com
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    Yeah, Dorel just TRIES to make things as desparately confusing as they possibly can. Stay on your toes, the 3-in-1's will now be going to 50 pounds

Dorel
    Beginning in August, the Alpha Omega and Alpha Omega Elite harness weight will increase to 50 lbs. The top harness height limit of the AO increases to 17″ and the AOE increases to 17.5″. Dorel has removed the restriction about using the top slot position for booster mode only, so that’s where the seats gain the extra height. The labels will also be color-coded for rear-facing, forward-facing, and booster mode and will color match their sections in the manual.

www.carseatblog.com
    i think this is GREAT!!! it'll be confusing at first for those with older models but for those seeking a new seat i think the AO/AOE becomes a good option now too.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Is the headrest thing going to be retroactive? Or no. I would assume no.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

Dorel

www.carseatblog.com
    Am I the only one thinking "It's ABOUT time"?

CPS Technician

That's great! If that were the case, AJ could still use ours instead of having to have gotten him a new one right at 3!
    Jennifer, Special Needs CPST, peds nurse, and CSFTL Admin mom to:
    AJ-13 (five steps), Evan-11 (nbb),
    Ilana-9 (nbb) ,
    Olivia-7 (hbb), and
    Unity-3 (rf and ff)

Dorel

www.carseatblog.com
    All of the sudden, this seat isn't so bad. I had 3 and really liked them, but would have liked them more (and used them longer) if they had been this way all along. DD would have actually been able to use it for about 4 years, knowing her torso and weight at 4. If the price doesn't go up too much, it will be a seat worth the money, even if it still makes a crappy booster. The tall back and 35 lb limit makes for great ERF, and since people buy it because it's "plush" and comfy, it won't be one we cringe to see anymore. I never had problems with the base at all, but some people hate the base.
    Joni
    Sunshine, 11, 5'3", 100 lbs in a 15.5" saddle

Dorel must have realized..........we better start keepin' up with the Joneses! They have to compete with the more budget friendly Graco and Evenflo!

Carseat Crazy

wow, I can't believe it! That is so great since the 3 in 1 is such a popular seat. I can't tell you how many people think it harnesses to 80lbs. I hope they make their advertising a little less confusing in the future.
    Michelle, mom to Chase 8y/o, Connor 6.75y/o, Gracie 2.5y/o & Ava 7mo

CPS Fanatic

Yeah, but if the change is NOT retroactive (Jools said in another recent thread that the seat is being redesigned, not just relabeled), there will be a whole lot more confusion. Some people will certainly assume (as some people on this thread may have already done) that the older 3-in-1's are just fine used with the harness in the top position, and with kids over 40 pounds harnessed -- because, after all, the new AOE's allow this....

Katrin

They could not have made it retroactive because of the way the seat was designed. In the older AO, when the seat went into the top slot, the harness was hung up on something, and would't loosen anymore. We will have to be viligant in our education, but I won't cringe when I hear of a 2 year old in an AO because I know that they'll outgrow it soon. Can't wait to try one of them out!
    Joni
    Sunshine, 11, 5'3", 100 lbs in a 15.5" saddle

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Stretchy Glue View Post
    They could not have made it retroactive because of the way the seat was designed. In the older AO, when the seat went into the top slot, the harness was hung up on something, and would't loosen anymore. We will have to be viligant in our education, but I won't cringe when I hear of a 2 year old in an AO because I know that they'll outgrow it soon. Can't wait to try one of them out!
    Not in my 2001 AO. I made the standard error of moving the harness to the top position as DS#1 grew (discovered my mistake about a month later, and replaced the AO with a Wizard), and the harness worked perfectly normally. There wasn't much length left on the harness tightener strap, so it couldn't be loosened a whole lot, but there was enough (DS was a skinny kid anyway) to keep using it.

I assume the use of the top slot can't be made retroactive because the older seats didn't pass head excursion testing in the top position... and for them to pass it now, with a 50 pound child, implies a redesign. I wonder if the new seats will look any different -- if not, that'll help add to the confusion too.

Katrin