New seat for preschool commute

U

Unregistered

My oldest will need a seat for Dad's car for the preschool commute -- dad will drive him to school every morning. Dad drives an 01 Acura TL. Currently oldest rides in a Marathon in an 07 Odyssey.

OK -- I don't know much about the older child seats, but am thinking Britax Frontier or Graco Nautilus.

The Nautilus is 1/2 the price of the Frontier, although we have loved our Marathons a lot.

I could put the new seat in either vehicle, and use the Marathon in either vehicle, so we shouldn't have a problem finding a fit, I hope.

Could I get your feedback on the Nautilus vs. the Frontier? Oldest is 39 lb, 42 inches.

Thanks!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
:happy-wavehello:

Glad you came over here! I've been pondering my answer to you all day, but there's SO many owners of each seat here you'll get a good answer for sure!

:)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have a Nautilus and LOVE it.

It is a breeze to adjust the harness tension, easy to adjust the harness height, is comfortable for kids, is easy to install, and has enough "extras" to please kids (cupholder, cubby holes in the armrests).

In booster mode, it doesn't adjust as high as the Frontier, but it has higher harness slots in harnessed mode.

As a harnessed seat, the Nautilus only has a 6-year expiration, but as a booster, it has a 9-year expiration. The Frontier has a 9-year expiration overall.

I highly recommend the Nautilus! :D

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
The nautilus is a great seat. The frontier can difficult to install in some cars and the harness straps are not like those in the Marathon, so theyr'e not really all that similar. I would go nautilus just based on price alone...and the Nautilus top slots are *slightly* higher that the Frontier.

Heather98012

I'm gonna go against the grain: My vote is for the Frontier. It does harness about 1/2 inch lower than the Nauti, but it harness higher, so if your kid is tall, that would be an advantage. Plus, it just feels "sturdier" to me.

The Nauti isn't a bad choice, I just think the Frontier is better. My dh saw both (& had been leaning towards the Nauti for the lower price tag) & said "That Frontier is SO worth the extra money!"

Good luck! Honestly, I'd let dh pick...he'll be the one harnessing in your LO every day.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
My vote is for the Frontier. It does harness about 1/2 inch lower than the Nauti, but it harness higher, so if your kid is tall, that would be an advantage.

Actually, it would be an advantage to use the Nautilus with a tall kid since the Nautilus has higher harness slots than the Frontier.

The Frontier would be advantageous if you have a heavy kid since it has a higher harness weight limit.

That might be what Heather meant, but the sentence structure and use of modifiers implied that she was saying that the Frontier is better for a taller kid.

Citrine

I have Britax Wizard and Regant and the Nautilus. We got the nautilus for easy traveling by plane in a few weeks. I feel my daughter is safer in the Britax. I do love the Nautilus, for the easy harness adjuster and it takes up less seat room in the back seat. I Love my britax seats and I feel that my kids are safer in thoes right now then any others. The Nautilus does not feel like there is much to it compared to Britax. My 4yr old does like the nautilus for the cup holder and little cubby it has. She can also unhook the chest clip in the nautilus but not in the britax seats.

MissAllyLou

I have a Nautilus, and I love it. I take it out to switch the harness heights every third day (different kids in the seat), and it's SO EASY. It's easy to install, use, and the kids I care for can buckle themselves in (as long as I check to make sure they are snug). I vote for the Nautilus!

U

Unregistered1

I think either one would be wonderful. Do a search for your types of vehicles to see if anyone has gotten the Frontier in successfully because it is incompatible with some vehicles. The Nautilus is generally compatible with most. I have two and love them by the way. But I'm also going to be getting a frontier because it goes WAY WAY WAY higher as a booster. Both wonderful seats and you will most likely be happy with whatever you choose.

U

Unregistered

Hi Julie! Wow, thanks for thinking of my question, I appreciate it!

OK, perhaps I am a nut, but to complicate things, or maybe make things easier, I heard about a clearance deal on Britax Marathons at Target, and so I went and purchased 2 Marathons tonight.... one for $135, and one for $188. Not bad, huh?

OK, so maybe this makes my life easier or not. Here's the whole family carseat picture:

#1 3.75 years -- 42inches, 39 lbs, currently rides in Marathon in Ody.

#2 2 years -- I don't know how big and heavy he is, would need to measure him. He rides in another Marathon in the Ody (He's FF, don't shoot me!).

#3 Due Around October 1 -- will ride in a Graco Snugride, and then one of the Marathons.

Our cars are an 01 Acura TL and an 07 Odyssey.

I think the 2 new Marathons will work pretty great, as long as they fit FF in the TL, but they fit RF just fine before we got the van. #2 will probably start preschool next year and will also ride with Dad.

I was thrilled to find the clearance Marathons, but also wonder if they'll work out well. So, in a year, we'd have the two boys riding in the Marathons in the TL, and then two more Marathons plus either a Nautilus or a Frontier in the Ody.

I could return one or both Marathons (although I don't think I'd return both since #3 will need one).

Thanks for all the feedback, I was thrilled to see your replies!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC