have convertibles...what to do

M

MRSTJS

Hi

I'm a proud owner of a 2 dr 1996 BMW 3-series. It's a great car. I have a 2 year old and it has always been no problem.

The other 2 cars we have are

97 miata
03 porsche boxster

Both have no backseat

we would love to start taking our 2 year old for a ride on occasional ride on the weekends for fun around the neighborhood. Not fast....just a 30 mph zone.

Is it legal for me to have him in a car seat in the front seat?

ADS
U

Unregistered

Tiffany

I live in VA. My son is around 37 inches and weighs 32 pounds.

I believe that there are airbags. One is a 1997 and the other is a 2003. Maybe there is a way to deactivate them?

Thanks for any help!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'm not a tech (yet - give me another 2 weeks) ... I'm guessing the 2003 does have an airbag, but the 1997 might not. I've only heard of trucks without back seats being able to disengage the passenger airbag; perhaps it's true for your vehicle? Double check the vehicle manuals :)

If the passenger seat doesn't have an airbag (or it is disengaged), then I would choose to use a convertible seat like the Cosco Intera, Alpha Omega or Scenera that rear-faces until 35# You can test these seats out in your vehicles at Babies-R-Us & also make sure to test your child in them, too, to find the best seat.
  • The *best* seat is that which fits the vehicle & child correctly, will be used correctly each time & fits the budget....
If the airbag(s) cannot be disengaged, then I would get a Britax Marathon or Boulevard because it sits the child up higher & make sure there's a top tether anchor.

Whichever seat you choose, visit your local tech > www.seatcheck.org :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC