OHS seats

Would you let your child ride in an OHS seat?

• Yes, it meets FMVSS 213 standards, why not?

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Yes, but only if there was no other option available.

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • No, I'd rather walk or stay home.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • Other - some other idea or you just had to vote. ;)

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This is mostly an opinion question with poll to follow. ;)

Would you let your child ride in an OHS seat assuming they fit it properly and were within the height and weight limits, and why?

eta: I added FMVSS 213 standards within one of the poll options because OHS seats aren't available for sale anymore in Canada and haven't been for around 4yrs now, so it wouldn't be accurate to say they meet CMVSS 213 standards. ;)

ADS

mish

I voted yes but only if there was nothing else available. This would be if I had to go somewhere and didn't have one or something. If I absolutely had to be in a car with my kids and this was the only option, I would absolutely use it. It is better than nothing, and much better than some options.

I just want to add, I do agree that overhead shield seats are not great, but they do pass testing. If a parent has to choose between a brand new overhead shield seat because that is what they can afford and a second hand seat with questionable history, I would advise them to choose the overhead shield.

ZephyrBlue

Only if my child face was positioned well above the shield in case of impact and there was absolutely no other option available. With an infant whose face was even with or below the shield? No way in hell.

ETA- which US companies still manufacture OHS seats, anybody know?

Mama!

If it wasn't expired, he fit, and it was installed correctly and there was nothing else...sure.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
Only if my child face was positioned well above the shield in case of impact and there was absolutely no other option available. With an infant whose face was even with or below the shield? No way in hell.

:yeahthat: I would use it if the child were near to outgrowing it. ie: The child's head is as far away from the shield as possible.

Honestly though, there are better options at cheaper prices so I don't anticipate ever "needing" one.

TerisBoys

:yeahthat: I had no qualms about my boys riding in an OHS Futura. All three did at one time or another.

A 'normal' OHS seat like a Scenera, Tribute or ComfortSport? No. Not unless there wasn't another option. Especially if they were younger.

That said, Josh DID ride in an OHS Trooper from 6mo to about 3yo. MOST of that time it was a backup seat in my dad's car, and there was no way my dad could manage a 5-point harness (SEVERE rheumatoid arthritis). I knew I could tighten the straps for him before I left in the morning and all he'd have to do if he went somewhere was click the bottom buckle in. We left the chest clip (paperclip) hooked, and slid it up and down.

cpsaddict

Yes, I would use one if there was no other option. I did use for my cousin and it was always used correctly. She started in it at about 11 mths and used it until age 3 or so.

Oh, Evenflo and Cosco currently make an OHS. The Tribute from Evenflo and the Scenera from Cosco.

fyrfightermomma

I chose yes if there wasn't an alternative. My foster son rode in one and I had no qualms at the time about it.

My parents are HORRIBLE with a 5 pt harness. No amount of teaching or showing has taught them anything. They are trying, but they always twist the strap and have belly clips. They also loosen it and I dont understand why.

At one time I seriously considered OHS seats for my kids because I knew atleast they would be secured properly (I could tighten before I left and just have them slide the chest clip up). As sad as it is, I know as soon as my oldest is at a minimum booster size she will be going in a booster in their car. I dont know any alternative.

I wouldn't have a problem really RFing as their body wouldn't be thrown into the shield, FFing would make me more nervous

PixieEMT

I voted yes only if it was the only option.

If it was an emergency or a temorary situation.
It passes the requirments for the FMVSS 213 standards but only because my DS's head/face would be positioned way above the shield. If he was a small infant no way.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I think I'm prejudiced against them so much more now after having read too many collision fatality reports involving OHS. Every time I see an OHS in a car now, all I can think of is the partial ejection or broken shields or strangulation by the shoulder straps when one should slips out and the rest of the child is hooked in still. I really can't help but think death trap every time I see an OHS.

That being said, Jillian did ride in one once at around 15 or 16 mos old IIRC. It was a case of only seat available, and I worried about it the whole time because it just didn't seem to fit her as snugly as a 5pt harness and I decided I'd just stay home next time.

So that's my vote - walk or stay home. If it was an absolute emergency where we had to go somewhere no matter what then I'd use the OHS rather than use nothing, but I would go to a lot of lengths before doing that - I'd even ask my neighbors if I could use one of their seats before using an OHS... or pit stop for a replacement seat, take a bus... fill in the blanks. I really truly can't see anything but an almost expired death trap when I see an OHS. :eek: (None are newer than 4yrs old around here, and the majority of them are expired already because they'd been mostly replaced by 5pts in stores already by 2004.)

U

Unregistered1

If there was no other option avaliable, and she fit to MY liking. As in, face well AWAY from the shield. And not expired, I knew the history, etc. It'd be a longshot.

clmchrissy

I voted if there were no other option. MIL had a blue OHS, I think Scenera or some sort of Dorel one she bought 3 yrs ago for DS, thankfully! it broke last yr & I gave her my AO. I just knew that there wasn't some right about that seat:rolleyes:

scatterbunny

I fully agree with you, Trudy. The only OHS seat I've ever seen that I would be comfortable putting a child of mine in would be the discontinued Fisher Price Futura OHS version. Otherwise, we'd borrow a seat, walk, or stay home.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
What's so special about the Fisher Price OHS?

The shield was LOW (like right on top of the lap) and thin. It would have been very, very hard to hit a head on it.

That was also a FF-only seat, so there shouldn't have been any young babies in it.

This isn't a good picture
since the shield looks wrong and it is a young baby in it, but this gives you some idea of what the seat looked like.

You can also see it here.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
DS #2, now 15 yo had one since I did not know any better in 1992. Now that I know better, DD will only go in one if ther is no other alternative and she is RF. If she had to be FF I would stay home or walk.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC