For those of you asking about MINIs and carseats...

daycaremom2002

I have permission from a member of my MINI forums (North American Motoring) to post a link to his pictures of his carseats in both a MINI and a MINI Clubman. I am going to send him a link to watch this thread, so maybe he will post and offer advise or information.

Page 4 and 5 have pictures of his seats in both cars.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/coolminis/page4/

He said he could take additional pictures if needed. Lets keep this reasonable, and not overwhelm the nice guy!! LOL

ADS

daycaremom2002

I already mentioned that. :)

Hopefully he will pop in here soon. If not, I can PM him over there tomorrow with whatever requests we have.

Melizerd

Is that the standard mini or the clubman? I've never actually seen one up close in person so I had no idea that they had doors like that, that opened in the back.

I'd be curious about a rear facing install, though by the time we're in the market for a new car DS will be forward facing. Since we'll always be a family of three a small car is so appealing.

Hmm wonder how a Frontier would fit :whistle:

pbfoot

I have a 2004 Mini Cooper S and one child. She was in a Graco Snugride before graduating to the Britax Marathon. Forget about putting a rearward-facing seat like the Britax in there, unless you or your passengers are extremely short. I kept my daughter in the Graco until she was old and large enough to go forward-facing in the Britax. I keep that seat behind the passenger seat, and it's actually reasonably comfortable for the front seat passenger. If I had to put two car seats in there, I'd have to move the driver's seat just a bit too far forward for me to drive the car (I'm 5-10 with short legs).

The great thing about the MINI is the reasonably high roof and square interior dimensions. This means that you've got good headroom to get in there and get your kid buckled, and the front seat passengers don't feel too cramped even if the front seat is further forward than they might otherwise place the seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Children shouldn't go from an infant seat to forward facing. They're too little. I'd put a rear facing child behind the passenger, if the driver is tall, or behind the driver if the driver is short. My husband is 5'10" with his height in his legs and he had more than enough leg room behind me when we drove it. A rear facing infant would fit fine behind me. Plus for an older child a rear facing seat doesn't need to be at a 45 degree angle, so an older child would fit well more upright. So it would fit probably better behind a passenger of mine, with a forward facing child having leg room behind me if there are four people in the car.

I'd also love to see rear facing pictures. How old is his child? I think the Roundabout was installed forward facing with the recline. Which I know is technically ok to 33 pounds, but it looks really reclined in there.

Oh, some of those are the standard. The red ones with the Roundabout. The Boulevard is in the Clubman.

Wendy

Melizerd

Yeah I completely agree with Wendy. No child should go from an infant seat to a forward facing seat. Kids should rear face as long as possible. I bet you could get something rear facing behind the passenger for an older rear facing baby/toddler with a more upright install.

ETA: lol looks like Patriot and I were posting at the same time.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have a 2004 Mini Cooper S and one child. She was in a Graco Snugride before graduating to the Britax Marathon. Forget about putting a rearward-facing seat like the Britax in there, unless you or your passengers are extremely short.

If a RF infant seat fit, a RF convertible would probably fit too. Because you can install most RF convertibles at a more upright angle, they often take up less room than an infant seat.

Like Wendy, I am concerned that a child went from an infant seat to a FF convertible. Children are much safer RF than FF and should be left RF as long as possible. A baby who just outgrew a SR is still far too little to be FF.

daycaremom2002

Just so you all know, it is possible to get a rear facing seat in there. I put an MA in rearfacing with plenty of room for myself. I am 5'6" and had plenty of legroom. It is definately doable. I posted pictures a while back, let me know if you want them again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC