About to purchase Radian - right choice???

Northriver

I'm about to order a new Radian and I just wanted to double check with the experts here and see if you had any other suggestions.

Here is what we have, below this list will be additional considerations.

DD is 3 yrs old, 31#, about 39" and is forward facing in all vehicles.

My car:
'06 Rav4, Boulevard drivers outboard latch+top tether

My truck (driven less than once a month):
'98 F150, Roundabout rear center on the tiny seat seatbelt+tether, Roundabout will be outgrown w/in ~6 months and I'm not sure if a larger seat will fit in this space

Grandmas car:
'08 Buick ?, Decathalon, 3rd row center, seatbelt+tether is ok but not rock solid install, and the Decathalon also blocks rear view.

Daddy's car, dd is only there once a month at most:
'97 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback, Marathon with seatbelt only, MA expires summer '09, rock solid install with several twists of buckle stalk but it is always a huge nightmare to install seats in this vehicle and also wondering what will be a good replacement seat.

So right now I'm wanting to replace the DC in my mothers car, hoping to get a better install and also something lower that won't block the view. I'm thinking I'll try the Radian because if it doesn't work in my moms car, it might work to replace the Roundabout in my truck or the Marathon in the Subaru because both seats need replaced within the year. Also I typically take the Roundabout when we fly and I think the Radian would be handy for that as well.

We do travel in my moms car quite a bit and comfort is an issue. DD loves the wings in the Boulevard for sleeping. She is also used to the plush comfort offered by all of her Britax seats, so I'm a little hesitant to downgrade in the comfort area.

I'm sure there is a limit at some point, but price really isn't a consideration. My budget includes a new carseat every year.:rolleyes:

So is the Radian a good choice? Is there something else I should consider that is available now or in the future?

ADS

BW1426

I think it's a great choice if you're looking for a low profile seat :thumbsup:

A nice replacement for the Marathon in your husbands car might be a Nautilus or Frontier as long as you can get a suitable install.

BudgieStew

What ever you do not get a Radian for your DH Subaru. The Radian is a nightmare to install in our 99 Legacy Outback. I gave up and am currently using one of DD seats(Evenflo Triumph Advance that went in like a dream in case you are interested) in that car for DS.

For most other cars the Radian is a lovely seat. In some cars that have no Latch it takes a few more minutes to install but after you learn the tricks it becomes second nature.

Northriver

What ever you do not get a Radian for your DH Subaru. The Radian is a nightmare to install in our 99 Legacy Outback.

Thank you so much for the information about the Subaru/Radian incompatibility. What is it with the seat belts in that car, anyway?!

In anycase, if the Radian works well in my moms Buick, I can use the Decathalon in the Subaru. Otherwise I'll take a look at some of the other seats you have mentioned. I'm very interested in high shoulder straps since DD is tall and thin.

I'm going to order a Radian right now and maybe it will arrive in time for me to get it installed before our next roadtrip. I would be doing a seat belt install in my Moms new Buick, I think the 3rd row has no latch and only a tether anchor in the center position, I could be mistaken. So I'll be back for help with install, I'm certain! I don't know what I'd do without the wonderful advice I get on this board.

Thanks to all of you for all you do here.:love:

BudgieStew

Just wanted to mention that Tech's on this board have been able to install the Radian in Subaru's but I think for us non Tech's unless you are able to visit a Tech to get their opinion it is best to use another seat. I would get it in tight as can be using all the tricks and by the next day it would be moving all over the seat. So rather then fight with it I just used another seat we already owned. The Marathon and EFTA go in easy and tight and do not work loose at all.
Some seats are just not compatible with some cars and this is one of those cases for me.

Northriver

I went to a local tech when dd was not quite 2 and had outgrown her Roundabout rear facing. He told me to get her a booster seat. So I probably won't ever go to a tech again. This guy had never heard of extended rearfacing and thought for some reason my child should be in a booster, when DUH I could just turn the Roundabout FF. What an idiot. I bought a Boulevard to use RF. Everyone here puts so much faith in finding a local tech that would actually help, but when I needed one I called 6 different tech and this guy at my local police station was the only one that even called me back and then gave me really really scary advice.

So basically if I can't install a seat myself, I'll find one that I can install.

DD wants the Princess Radian and they are backordered. I can get it quicker from hipmonkey or slower from elitecarseats but elite has the free return shipping insurance right now, so I think I do that. I will be putting this seat 3rd row center with a seatbelt, where I can't even get a good install with the Decathalon, so I really don't feel confident that I will be able to get the Radian in there, either.

If anyone knows a real tech in central Iowa, I would love to have their number. I would be nice to have a real person to help with installation.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I say go for it, too. I'm a little iffy on whether it'll work in your mom's car - the Britax seats are usually so easy that if you're having trouble with them, you're probably going to have trouble with the Radian, but I think it'll work well in your truck if that's the case.

Plus, the Radian's great for air travel. :thumbsup:

Just keep in mind it has different "tricks" than the seats you're used to, so expect a bit of a learning curve. It really does get easier each time you do it!

Northriver

Thanks Debbie! I'm looking forward to the challenge, honestly. Since we have 4 Britax seats I feel I would be a more well rounded person if I could learn to install something else in addition to Britax. I'll be back for help whenever the seat comes in. I decided to get it from Elite so I can return it if needed, so it will be awhile before it arrives.

The only thing that worries me about the Radian is how hard it would be to install in a rental or in a cab when we travel. I normall take the Roundabout and it is so easy, I'm seriously going to be sad when DD outgrows it.

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
I have a Radian and I love it! Every one says that it is hard to install with the seat belt, but I have issues using LATCH. I have a 2001 ford focus sedan and it installs beautifully with the seat belt RF and FF and with LATCH FF, I cannot get it good enough with Latch RF...

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The only thing that worries me about the Radian is how hard it would be to install in a rental or in a cab when we travel. I normall take the Roundabout and it is so easy, I'm seriously going to be sad when DD outgrows it.

Not sure about cabs; I suppose they could be iffy, but the Radian installs very easily with LATCH, which you'll have in a rental. :D

And it does do really well with the seat belt in certain vehicles (it's so easy in our Golf I let my dh do it), it's just a few that really drive you nuts!

Misty-Bug

like people are saying it depends on the vehicle.
If you don't mind I will tell you my story with it....
I have a 1996 Ford Taurus station wagon. No LATCH. I FOUND with that sucker for a LONG time. Got help here. Now I have ZERO problems. I always install with the seat belt. But if I can't get a tight install with the seatbelt I will use the LATCH. It is a tricky seat to learn but read up on the installation techniques and tricks. Learn your seat and you will get it. I promise :D hehehe
I really do love my radian and I hope it works for you

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC