2 carseats & an adult in backseat?

C

connie1222

I'm looking to buy a new car and I'd really prefer a sedan. I need room for 2 carseats (a Graco CarGo & a Cosco Touriva) & an adult in the backseat since I drive my parents around. I've read on here that the Taurus has the widest backseat, do you think it will accomodate my needs? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I think the Taurus will definitely accomodate this.... My dad is 5'10" 225# & fit in the back next to our Husky in the center with Parkway outboard ;)

Lea_Ontario

I can squeeze in between my DD's Marathon and my DS's Generations seat in the back of our Cavalier. And I'm NOT small (180#, 5'5)

scatterbunny

Kashi said:
I can squeeze in between my DD's Marathon and my DS's Generations seat in the back of our Cavalier. And I'm NOT small (180#, 5'5)

Does your Cavalier have a headrest and shoulderbelt in the middle?

scatterbunny

Have you tried putting the two seats side-by-side when you need to ride in back? I ask because it would be really bad to get into a crash with you sitting in the lapbelt-only spot. :(

Lea_Ontario

We haven't tried that since getting the Marathon. They were side by side for a time while Bug was in her Touriva, but we moved her outboard because they were constantly fighting with one another.

I don't routinely sit in the back - I get quite squished and uncomfortable - but when Bug is getting sick (motion sick) it's either that or try to sit backwards in the front seat to catch and clean up.

scatterbunny

Aaahh, yes--having only one, I sometimes forget about the fighting that can be prevalent among siblings sitting side-by-side. ;)

I can relate to the motion sickness, though. Hayley started getting carsick at about 18 months old, and still does, at almost 5. Luckily she's learned to aim it well, and we bring a bowl, a gallon of water, washrags and extra clothes on every trip over 20 minutes, just in case. It used to be a huge production, she'd puke all over her clothes and carseat, I'd have to find a place to pull over, take her out, clean her up, change her clothes, wipe the carseat up as best as I could and then just get to where we were going and clean the carseat better when we got there.

Back then I didn't know any better, and machine-washed the harness straps pretty often. :(

Since we worked out the "carsickness kit" and Hayley learned how to aim her vomit into the bowl, things are much calmer on road trips. All I have to do is pull over and use the gallon of water to rinse out the bowl, use a washrag to clean up her face, give her a drink of water and we're on our way again. No more pukey carseats, THANK GOODNESS! We have an extra seat cover for the Futura now, just in case.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Seeing as the Chevy Cavalier is no longer made it was replaced by the Colbolt almost 3 yrs ago really won't be an issue for the OP. Heck I squeezed my butt between a Marathon & Roundabout or Marathon & Snugride or Roundabout & Snugride in the back of a Passat when we still had it. Not something I would recommend as its not comfortable at all as I think the OP was looking for a comfortable solution to transport an adult in the back seat at times.

I agree the Chevy Impala or Ford Five Hundred is the 2 I would look at. I am not sure I would bother with the Taurus as its an old design with old crash standards. Plus I think Ford is about to elemenate it from its platiform within the next year or so. Or at least that is the rumor as they don't want to redesign it.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I just heard that too, Jen ... about the Taurus -- havne't yet seen the Five Hundred, but am thinking about visiting the dealer soon :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hopefully they will add stability control in one of the upcoming years. It's already one of the safest models. Stability control would put it in the top few.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC