Portabout 5 - base recalled?

Mommy0608

I posted yesterday about some stress marks on my Portabout 5. Now, I was searching through this forum and found a thread about a recall on Portabout bases made through September '04. Here's a quote I found in the thread:

(2004 infant seat testing focused on LATCH installed bases. The LATCH routing recall affected all of the portabout seat bases up until september 2004. So if that hadn't been addressed, there's a high likelihood that contributed to the seat flying off the base - take a recalled seat and don't fix it and you're more likely to have failure...)

Here's the thread: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=38227

DH looked at the DOM for our bases last week and I am almost positive he said 3/2004. We purchased them new (the seat and 2 bases) in late 2005 for DD who was born in 2006. At the time I didn't know much about car seats so the fact that they were already almost 2 yrs old didn't bother me. However, now I'm wondering if they were part of the recall, but got overlooked sitting on the clearance shelf at the store?? I looked on Evenflo's website, and didn't see anything about the Portabout bases being recalled. I will be calling Evenflo this week to ask about this as well as the discoloration I found on the seat shell, but wanted to ask you ladies for any input.

DS is due in a few weeks, and I want to make SURE this seat is safe before he comes, otherwise I need to get out and get a new seat ASAP. THANKS!

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
You are in Michigan, so you should be okay. The recall was for Canada only.

Below are links to safety campaigns for our infant and child-care products. Please click on any of the product names to get details and steps to follow.

* Discovery Model 3021769Z & 3021854Z
* Triumph Foam Liner
* Discovery
* Triumph Harness Ring
* Portable Wood Crib
* Home Decor
* Joyride
* On My Way Pos. Rt. Base
* Snugli Front & Back Pack
* Happy Camper/Cabana
* On My Way
* Portabout - Universal Anchorage System - Canada Only
* Tribute
* Cozy Carry
* Embrace Handle

It is always good to check for recalls, though. Here is Evenflo's list.

U

Unregistered1

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/childseat.cfm

this is NHTSA's complete list of seat recalls. It includes model numbers, dates of manufacture, and reasons for recall. Look for the portabout there and check the recalled model numbers against your seat. Then post here about what the issue was because depending on the reason for the recall it may not have been a safety issue (although it probably is - you never know). If it is an issue we can recommend some inexpensive seats (either infant seats or convertibles if you want to skip straight to a RF convertible) that you could pick up.

Mommy0608

Thanks everyone! I did see the Canadian recall, but wasn't sure if there was also a US recall that I wasn't seeing anywhere. If I find out otherwise from Evenflo I will be sure to let everyone know.

As for recommendations, I'm quite a car seat nut myself so I already have my "want" list.. :cool: hahaha, but I know that if I don't find proof that our infant seat is not safe, I can't get one (money is too tight).

As for the springs that someone suggested I check in the bases in another thread, I just went out and checked.. all springs are intact. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC