consumer reports

skaterbabs

CR hasn't got a clue how to interpret crash test results or injury data, and no other organization can duplicate what they see.

If what they say was actually happening in crashes we would see injury data for it, but we're not. Contrary to what CR says, we are NOT seeing infant seats separating from the bases willy-nilly, and we're NOT seeing them fail with LATCH.

What we DO see from REAL LIFE crashes is that infants are VERY well protected. Infant deaths in side-impact crashes (the most deadly) account for only about .07% of ALL motor vehicle deaths. Since nearly 9 out of ten children are improperly restrained, the fact that infant deaths in side impacts are counted by TENS rather than THOUSANDS means that a properly-restrained infant in an infant seat has a VERY, VERY low chance of dying in type of crash most likely to result in death. Adults and children in seatbelts are most at risk.

CR was extremely irresponsible for publishing this article.

There has been no peer review, no duplicate studies, no publication of testing procedure ( amust for a scientific finding to be considered valid) and no one can replicate the results. They use a crash pulse that is the crash equivelent of an atomic bomb, versus the governement test that is stronger than 97% of all crashes.

Yet they go on national television telling parents (many of whom have no idea what is involved in crash tests) that the government tests aren't protecting their precious babies and their car seats are dangerous.

Honestly, this is simply yet another case of "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! I am the Great and Powerful Wizard...." from Consumer Reports.

ADS
M

Magnum

Thank you everyone. I still don't know what to think. I found the long thread in the news area and read it with great interest. Just that the government doesnt even have any tests for impacts from the side is enough to make you wonder.

Im thinking I will just find a seat of the next type that will work well for a newborn. There is no chance of that coming off its base I hope!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC