consumer reports

U

Unregistered

what is your opionion of consumer reports? On a few other sites I have seen some debating on their accuracy....What is your opinion?

Anna

ADS

scatterbunny

This is actually addressed in the Frequently Asked Questions section of this website. :)

All carseats currently sold must pass minimum government requirements. Consumer Reports has its own methodology, and does not discuss how they derive their crash test ratings or how their ratings relate to the risk of injury. They also conceal their results in colored circles, which don't tell you exactly how much safer a top-rated model is compared to a lower-rated one. Also, a carseat that worked for the dummies on the car benches at Consumer Reports may not fit well in your vehicle or with your child. If your carseat fits your child, fits your vehicle and you use it correctly every time, then it should be safe.

http://www.car-safety.org/faq.html#Q30

What seat(s) are you particularly concerned about/interested in?

U

Unregistered

What seat(s) are you particularly concerned about/interested in?

I was wondering about the Britax Marathon.

scatterbunny

And you were concerned about what CR had to say about the Marathon?

In short, it isn't an issue. Their "problem" was overrotation when the Marathon was installed rear-facing with LATCH, tested with the heaviest rear-facing dummy. Overrotation means the carseat shell rotated too far downwards, towards the front vehicle seats.

This problem was not noted by Britax or NHTSA, so take heart in that.

Also, an easy "fix" would be to discontinue the use of the lower LATCH anchors if you are using the Marathon with a child towards the higher end of the rear-facing weight limit (33 pounds) and install the seat with the vehicle seatbelt.

Another "fix" would be to brace the top of the Marathon's seat shell against the front vehicle seat, this would keep it from overrotating. Britax allows this, some other manufacturers do not.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
In addition to Jenny's suggestions, use of the rear facing tether should help to reduce the downward rotation as well. My 30ish pound three year old rides in a rear facing Marathon, installed with LATCh (because I couldn't get a great install with the seatbelt) and tethered toward the front of the vehicle.

U

Unregistered

Thank you for your reassurance. I thought Britax seats were top of the line but on another board some people were saying they are not all they are cracked up to be due to the CS reports. She is swearing up and down they are the most accurate and dependable reviews.....I attached the link you provided maybe that will help change her mind.

Can I get the "results" of the safety testing from Britax or NHTSA? Or is it they pass or don't?

scatterbunny

Some people are, like, Consumer Reports junkies, and treat what they publish as gospel, LOL!

Carseat companies don't publish their results, and NHTSA only publishes ease-of-use ratings, not safety ratings (except for head excursion numbers, as far as I know, and those are hard to interpret for even the most die-hard CPS fanatics), as far as I know. Basically, we just have to trust that all seats sold are "safe enough" provided they install well and fit the child who is using it. Still, knowing what child passenger safety experts think and keeping up-to-date on current CPS research goes a long way; we know that overhead shield seats are less safe than five point harness seats, but overhead shield seats still pass our minimum federal safety standards. We know that a five point harness provides more protection than a booster+vehicle seatbelts because it prevents wiggly kids from moving out of position and because it holds the child in place better, especially during side impact and rollover crashes.

The crux of carseat selection really comes down to research, research, research, and choosing what works best for your child, your vehicle and your budget. It helps to know harnessed weight limits, top harness slot height, and what comfort features and ease-of-use features the seat offers. Britax tends to excel because they offer more comfort and ease-of-use features than other brands, and the Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard/Regent harness to 65/80 pounds. Most other brands only harness to 40 pounds.

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
Jenny, just wanted to add that you are awesome and really are helpful to people who come here. Other people are also, I just notice how you write info and are able to explain it in a way that is easily understandable by people who come here needing to get explainations. I know a lot of info, but am not as good at putting it into words, nor do I know yet how to find it easily on the web to link it to people. I am learning a lot from you and the other people on the board who are always available to help... I know I will be a better tech for it.

U

Unregistered

Jenny, just wanted to add that you are awesome and really are helpful to people who come here. Other people are also, I just notice how you write info and are able to explain it in a way that is easily understandable by people who come here needing to get explainations. I know a lot of info, but am not as good at putting it into words, nor do I know yet how to find it easily on the web to link it to people. I am learning a lot from you and the other people on the board who are always available to help...

Just wanted to ditto this....
Anna

skaterbabs

when parents ask me about CR, my standard response is that they're great for washing machines, but not so great for child restraints, and I use their "top pick" as a great example why. They highly rate the Evenflo Titan, yet most techs I know HATE the seat with a passion (including me!). It's short, a pain to install (literally - you should see my hands after fooling with one this weekend!) and is outgrown quickly by height and weight.

scatterbunny

Aww, thanks ladies. :D That really made my day.

I have to give credit to others, though--Julie, Heather, Deborah, Darren, Ulrike--all the "oldies" around here who really taught me everything I know. And so many others, too. I hate to leave anyone out, LOL.

N

nicoleh

I have a quick question - we have a Graco SnugRide (which passed the consumer report test, if that even means anything), but it is from 2005. The 2007 version of the Graco SnugRide has EPS and goes up to 29" and 22lbs (vs. 26" and 20lbs which is what mine does). Anyway - I know that my SnugRide is still "safe" but is it the best choice? Would it make more sense to get the newer version? How much of a difference does EPS make?

Nicole,
Mother of 2 - Benjamin 19 months RF in Evenflo Triumph and Ella 2 months RF in Graco SnugRide

skaterbabs

EPS is great - it's energy absorbing foam. That said, Consumer Reports is full of it and if you were going to replace a perfectly good snug ride, I'd suggest the Safe Seat 1 instead because it's easier to use and install.

That said, if your 2005 SR has a front harness adjuster and a 5 point harness, I can't say I would replace a perfectly good seat, although I do like the SS1 better.

southpawboston

the snugride is a design that has been around for awhile and has worked pretty well. we had a 2002 snugride that was originally for my nephew, and then each of our daughters used it as infants. we though the SR was very well designed, convenient, and comfy. plus it fits most of the graco strollers!

Ali

We have a SR from 2005. DD used it for 6 mos and a very trusted friend used it for 7 mos with her DD. We aren't having anymore DC, but if we did, I would have absolutely NO problem using it again.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Considering CR won't release their findings and full reports to the DOT or NHTSA, I don't have much faith at all. I'm keeping my Safeseat and I love it. I had a dad come in yesterday w/ a brand new Latch Loc he bought b/c of CR and it was HARD to install. The dad ended up not being impressed at all and I think was a little upset he bought this one. We all agreed it was pretty though. lol

southpawboston

i have a really hard time trusting anything that CR rates. sometimes i agree with them, other times they seem really off target.

and the fact that they don't release their testing methods makes me very skeptical about believing what they say.

ateammom

Thanks for all of your opinions and honesty about CR. My family and co-workers thank you too. I have been driving them crazy since that report came out trying to find a different car seat for my baby. The thought of those dummies being my baby in the video made me sick. One good thing about CR- I know that I wouldn't have done this much research on car seats before buying a convertable. We'll be ordering either a Marathon or Boulevard later today (still deciding). Also, I want to take one last look at the Safe Voyage. I had my 7 year old sit in it for me and give me her opinion, and she said it didn't have enough padding, but we'll check it out one more time.

Anywho, you guys have really put my mind at ease. Thanks so much for all of your input!

Angie

M

Magnum

I give them a lot of credit over the years for finding bad things. A lot of their negative comments about our vehicles are on the money. Where I disagree with them mostly is how far apart they rate things that are really pretty close in my view.

I dont know what to make of these bad test results. I have subscribed for decades and they do know a lot about cars (even when I dont agree with them!) and appliances but I wonder if other product areas are a little beyond their resources to test and rate with any expertise. The breaking infant seats still worry me. Maybe they lied or fixed the testing or maybe there really is some kind of problem with most or all of this kind of car seat?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC