News Pretty cool stuff from KIM...

ADS

LuvBug

FINALLY on the AO/AOE!!! We have been saying that for YEARS, if they would just let people use the top bar position as a harness slot it would be a good seat. Looks like they finally figured it out and the dreaded 3n1s will be a good thing!

BW1426

Now if they could just make the 3-in-1s a better booster we'd be set. I wonder if these changes will be retroactive...well at least the being able to use the top position....I'm guessing not :(

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Now if they could just make the 3-in-1s a better booster we'd be set. (

Exactly! I look at a 3 in 1 as a seat that can be used from about 12ish lbs to 40 lbs, that is it. I would not use it as a booster.

cpsaddict

Finally they fixed the headrest thing, but there is still no way that seat is tall enough to last as a booster to 100lbs. It does make it an easier seat to recommend.

Simplysomething

Any word on whether it will be retroactive with the AO/AOE? I can see trying to convince parents otherwise--if it's not, and having lots of headaches.

Especially with the thing about the top position, are they doing something to the seat, or just removing the restriction. Since there are apparently known deaths related to using the top position in harnessed mode, I would hope this means they are tweaking the seat and not just saying ..."ooh new stickers!"

Remember recently with some confusion with the Evenflo Triumph Advance--but the regular Triumph being stocked under the signage, confusing some parents.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm almost positive it won't be retroactive. The AO/E has failed compliance testing with NHTSA (head excursion too high), and most of us who speculate suspect it's because they were using the top slot (Dorel claims to have retested the seats so they pass, but NHTSA still has an F on their page last I checked...).

The good thing is that the ones with the 50 pound limit will have the new rules, so that should help limit confusion, I think.

(But Yeah, IKWYM about the Triumph...our walmart had the old one up on display for months but new ones in boxes...it was awful)

Simplysomething

I'm almost positive it won't be retroactive. The AO/E has failed compliance testing with NHTSA (head excursion too high), and most of us who speculate suspect it's because they were using the top slot (Dorel claims to have retested the seats so they pass, but NHTSA still has an F on their page last I checked...).
The good thing is that the ones with the 50 pound limit will have the new rules, so that should help limit confusion, I think.

They should change the freakin name of the seat. Preferably something that doesn't include the words Alpha, Omega, or Elite.

christineka

I may consider the ao as my next hwh seat. My 8 year old has a 16.5 inch torso and weighs 45 pounds. If it fits with all my seats- the prices is better for me than a radian. (The eta is way too wide for 6 kids in car seats.) I'd definitely go with a dedicated booster later.

MsFacetious

I may consider the ao as my next hwh seat. My 8 year old has a 16.5 inch torso and weighs 45 pounds. If it fits with all my seats- the prices is better for me than a radian. (The eta is way too wide for 6 kids in car seats.) I'd definitely go with a dedicated booster later.

Would the Nautilus also be too wide? I would hesitate to get any seat for just 5lbs. I would be looking at either the Nautilus or the Apex (as long as you have headrests) since they harness to 65lbs. I'm pretty sure that the AOE are about the same width as the Nautilus/Apex but it's been a while since I saw all 3 together.

I'm sure someone else could tell you though. :thumbsup:

fyrfightermomma

Any word on whether it will be retroactive with the AO/AOE? I can see trying to convince parents otherwise--if it's not, and having lots of headaches.

Especially with the thing about the top position, are they doing something to the seat, or just removing the restriction. Since there are apparently known deaths related to using the top position in harnessed mode, I would hope this means they are tweaking the seat and not just saying ..."ooh new stickers!"

Remember recently with some confusion with the Evenflo Triumph Advance--but the regular Triumph being stocked under the signage, confusing some parents.

Thats what I was thinking....if theres been deaths with using the top harness position...I can't imagine it would be retroactive. What would suddenly make it OK??

vonfirmath

Ugh. I hope they change the name

You wouldn't believe the number of Marathons I see on Craigslist advertising they go to "35 lbs RFing" -- because they probably go to the BRitax site to look up current stats and assume those are the same stats of their own seat! Even with DOMs like 2002 and 2004.

I've let a few know through email that the weight was just upped in February 2008. But I don't see anyone changing.

And 2 pounds RFing is not really likely to affect anyoe, because most of those who are going to keep their kid RFing to 35 will probably know anyway.

But if they don't change the name, and people use the new data on their Craigslist ads...

canadiangie

This is the first time I've actually seen confirmation of deaths due to top bar position being used in harness mode with the AO's. It's just shocking for me to read. I mean, deep down I assumed it was a life or death rule, but to actually see it confirmed, and then to think how many kids ride like this everyday, for years, it's just horrendous that Dorel hasn't been forced to *fix* the problem years ago. Sorry for my ramblings, just thinking outloud I guess.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, I was at Lifesavers and CHOP, I think, was showing various crash scenarios and in one breath said 'it was in the top slots' and in the next, as if they were surprised (since ALL other seats allow the top slots!), reported that it was a 'fluke' that the child died.

christineka

I thought the ao was only 18 inches wide. My oldest dd reaches 40 pounds at age 5. She's gained 5 pounds in the past 3 years. My next younger takes after dh. She reached 40 pounds at age 4.5 and has gained 7 pounds in 2.5 years. I have another that takes after dh and two more that take after myself. At any rate, for my kids a seat that went to 50 pounds and a 17 inch torso would be just right. Maybe in a few years graco will make the 48 pound limit cargo good in the US.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC