AO weight 40 or 65? I'm confused!

Nisha

On another board that I chat on, we were discussing car seats and one of the moms mentioned that she had the A/O and likes it because it harnesses to 65 lbs (among other things obviously ;) ).
I thought it was only 40 lbs but didn't want to say anything without "knowing my stuff" so I looked at it on babies r us website and it says 40 lbs.
I questioned her about it and she says her manual says 65 lbs.

SO.... which is it???:confused:

ADS

TerisBoys

Does she have an Alpha Omega or an Alpha Elite? Alpha Elite is like the Apex - harness to 65, booster to 100.

djma

All 3-in-1's harness to 40 pounds and most of them are a booster until 80lbs but some of the newer ones booster until 100lbs.

HTH

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
That's right... the 3-in-1s harness to 40 pounds. The Apex (also called a bunch of other names, including Alpha Elite) harnesses to 65 pounds.

Nisha

Oooh. Gotcha.
BUT, here's what BRU discription of it says!

Features

* 3-in-1 car seat the only car seat you will ever need

* QuickFit harness system height adjusts easily w/ the headrest w/o rethreading.

* 5-35 lbs rear facing, 22-40lbs forward facing 40-100 belt positioning

* 4 position head rest adjusts with harness never needs re-threading

* 5 point harness, 3 position crotch strap, 3 position recline

Product Description

Designed to grow with your child, the 3-in-1 Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat in Bella from Cosco can also become a belt-positioning booster. With energy-absorbing foam, this car seat features a QuickFit harness system for easy height adjustments without rethreading, a 5-point harness, 3-position crotch strap, 3-position recline, and a 4-position headrest. The seat will support children weighing 5-35 lbs. rear-facing, 22-40 lbs. forward-facing, and 40-100 lbs. in the belt-positioning booster mode.

Nisha

Right, but this one is also called the Alpha Elite.

She might just be confused and might think the AOElite and the AElite are the same thing.

Hmmm, this is what she said about it:
we have the Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Carseat Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat in Bella - Dorel Juvenile Group - Babies "R" Us
It is shown here in pink/brown but it also comes in gray. It's about $150.

I'll have to ask her if it's actually that one!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, Dorel just TRIES to make things as desparately confusing as they possibly can. Stay on your toes, the 3-in-1's will now be going to 50 pounds

Dorel
<drumroll> Beginning in August, the Alpha Omega and Alpha Omega Elite harness weight will increase to 50 lbs. The top harness height limit of the AO increases to 17″ and the AOE increases to 17.5″. Dorel has removed the restriction about using the top slot position for booster mode only, so that’s where the seats gain the extra height. The labels will also be color-coded for rear-facing, forward-facing, and booster mode and will color match their sections in the manual.

www.carseatblog.com

ginny4

Yeah, Dorel just TRIES to make things as desparately confusing as they possibly can. Stay on your toes, the 3-in-1's will now be going to 50 pounds

Dorel
<drumroll> Beginning in August, the Alpha Omega and Alpha Omega Elite harness weight will increase to 50 lbs. The top harness height limit of the AO increases to 17″ and the AOE increases to 17.5″. Dorel has removed the restriction about using the top slot position for booster mode only, so that’s where the seats gain the extra height. The labels will also be color-coded for rear-facing, forward-facing, and booster mode and will color match their sections in the manual.

www.carseatblog.com

:thumbsup:i think this is GREAT!!! it'll be confusing at first for those with older models but for those seeking a new seat i think the AO/AOE becomes a good option now too.

TerisBoys

Dorel

www.carseatblog.com

Am I the only one thinking "It's ABOUT time"?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That's great! If that were the case, AJ could still use ours instead of having to have gotten him a new one right at 3!

Stretchy Glue

Dorel

www.carseatblog.com

All of the sudden, this seat isn't so bad. I had 3 and really liked them, but would have liked them more (and used them longer) if they had been this way all along. DD would have actually been able to use it for about 4 years, knowing her torso and weight at 4. If the price doesn't go up too much, it will be a seat worth the money, even if it still makes a crappy booster. The tall back and 35 lb limit makes for great ERF, and since people buy it because it's "plush" and comfy, it won't be one we cringe to see anymore. I never had problems with the base at all, but some people hate the base.

PixieEMT

Dorel must have realized..........we better start keepin' up with the Joneses! They have to compete with the more budget friendly Graco and Evenflo!:twocents:

chasingboys

wow, I can't believe it! That is so great since the 3 in 1 is such a popular seat. I can't tell you how many people think it harnesses to 80lbs. I hope they make their advertising a little less confusing in the future.

singingpond

Yeah, but if the change is NOT retroactive (Jools said in another recent thread that the seat is being redesigned, not just relabeled), there will be a whole lot more confusion. Some people will certainly assume (as some people on this thread may have already done) that the older 3-in-1's are just fine used with the harness in the top position, and with kids over 40 pounds harnessed -- because, after all, the new AOE's allow this.... :(

Katrin

Stretchy Glue

They could not have made it retroactive because of the way the seat was designed. In the older AO, when the seat went into the top slot, the harness was hung up on something, and would't loosen anymore. We will have to be viligant in our education, but I won't cringe when I hear of a 2 year old in an AO because I know that they'll outgrow it soon. Can't wait to try one of them out!

singingpond

They could not have made it retroactive because of the way the seat was designed. In the older AO, when the seat went into the top slot, the harness was hung up on something, and would't loosen anymore. We will have to be viligant in our education, but I won't cringe when I hear of a 2 year old in an AO because I know that they'll outgrow it soon. Can't wait to try one of them out!

Not in my 2001 AO. I made the standard error of moving the harness to the top position as DS#1 grew (discovered my mistake about a month later, and replaced the AO with a Wizard), and the harness worked perfectly normally. There wasn't much length left on the harness tightener strap, so it couldn't be loosened a whole lot, but there was enough (DS was a skinny kid anyway) to keep using it.

I assume the use of the top slot can't be made retroactive because the older seats didn't pass head excursion testing in the top position... and for them to pass it now, with a 50 pound child, implies a redesign. I wonder if the new seats will look any different -- if not, that'll help add to the confusion too.

Katrin

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC