Wow is this ever annoying.

ProudMomof5

Okay, so I am getting ready to have baby #5 and just purchased a second radian so I could fit 3 across in our 3rd row. It's for our 3 1/2 year old dd#3. The other radian is used by DD#2. Anyways...

We also have a scenera (for dd#4, 20 months), but I never had dd#3 (3 years) sit in it to see how well she fit.
Turns out she fits in the scenera REALLY well! Which I didn't expect!

We took all the carseats out today and I had DD#3 sit in the scenera, and she has like an inch or more shoulder space before she even reaches the top slots AND a few inches above her head in the shell.

Sooo..... technically I could have just bought her a scenera INSTEAD of the radian and saved over $150. Because the scenera's fit just fine in the 3rd row as long as there is at least ONE radian, which I already have.

so I am totally annoyed.
errr.... oh well. At least I know the radian is a better carseat, so I would have wanted one eventually anyway... but I could have saved myself some time and had her in a scenera for awhile.... probably a long while, she is only 33lbs and apparently pretty short for a 3 year old.

Oh well... worse things could happen right? I got an awesome carseat out of the deal!

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
but I could have saved myself some time and had her in a scenera for awhile.... probably a long while, she is only 33lbs and apparently pretty short for a 3 year old.

Oh well... worse things could happen right? I got an awesome carseat out of the deal!

Yep, always worse things and you have a Radian out of the deal. :)

I wouldn't necessarily say your dd is short though. With the exception of kids who have long torso's, 15" top slots do get a lot of kids to age 3 or close to 4. There are kids who will always outgrow sooner, but really despite what we often hear around here, it's not a guarantee that a kid will be out of a scenera or a 3in1 really early. Heck, many kids will make it past age 4 in the 3in1 before outgrowing the harness. Before the HWH seats became available, the harness height on these seats really wasn't that shabby - not great for really tall kids, but in comparison to other seats, they weren't bad.
:thumbsup:

Congrats on your upcoming new arrival. :)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
We took all the carseats out today and I had DD#3 sit in the scenera, and she has like an inch or more shoulder space before she even reaches the top slots AND a few inches above her head in the shell.

I'm guessing this means you tried her in it when she was *out* of the vehicle. Typically we lose 1/2 to 1 full inch when installing in the vehicle, so dd may not have as much room in the Scenera as you think. Did I make you feel any better?

ProudMomof5

I'm guessing this means you tried her in it when she was *out* of the vehicle. Typically we lose 1/2 to 1 full inch when installing in the vehicle, so dd may not have as much room in the Scenera as you think. Did I make you feel any better?

LOL... yeah that helps! :)
Like I said it's not a problem, but when money is tight you try to cut corners where you can. Getting a radian is not exactly cutting a corner.. lol... but my kids are safe and that is the most important thing.

MOM25BOYS

Hey mama.:) You got an Expedition if I remember correct, right? I am getting ready to do 3 across on my 3rd row with 2 Radians. Just wondering how hard it is going to be to get a tight install...

ProudMomof5

Hey mama.:) You got an Expedition if I remember correct, right? I am getting ready to do 3 across on my 3rd row with 2 Radians. Just wondering how hard it is going to be to get a tight install...

yep you remember correct! I am going to TRY and do the two radians and a HBB.... (either a recaro or turbo)... but if that won't work then the scenera will have to go back there with the 2 radians.

I am nervous to install them. I'll be doing it tomorrow, as well as the infant seat. My induction is scheduled in 9 days but I am not even sure if I'll make it that long!!! It's so hot outside and I am sooo big, but I install better than DH even if I am 9 mos pregnant.. so it'll have to be me.

MOM25BOYS

yep you remember correct! I am going to TRY and do the two radians and a HBB.... (either a recaro or turbo)... but if that won't work then the scenera will have to go back there with the 2 radians.

I am nervous to install them. I'll be doing it tomorrow, as well as the infant seat. My induction is scheduled in 9 days but I am not even sure if I'll make it that long!!! It's so hot outside and I am sooo big, but I install better than DH even if I am 9 mos pregnant.. so it'll have to be me.

I was the same way before DS5 was born.:p Out there trying to install the 2 Regents, a Marathon, and a SS1 base before the baby was born. Just did get them all perfect before I went into labor 2 weeks early.:D I am going to try to Radians outboard and either a MA center FF or a Nautilus center FF. Will see...:whistle: I think you have a little more wiggle room on your 3rd row. You have one end that is kinda opened, right? I have no wiggle room and had to push the Nautilus as far as I could into the sides just so they wouldn't sit on the belt stalk. The 2 Nautilus worked great, but only a kiddo who didn't need a booster could sit between them and that doesn't work for me.:thumbsdown: Good luck with your installs, have fun, and sending some labor vibes your way!!:D

MsFacetious

She's not TOO short. ;) We used the Scenera for Sadi in February on our trip and she was 4 at the time. She had about half an inch above her shoulders and only a couple pounds to spare. We only had one friend who had a Marathon we could borrow and we only had Regents at the time. So, it was either the Scenera or buy a Nautilus at the time. We were thrilled the Scenera worked for our one trip!

Now we have two Nautilus' if we need to make another trip. But it sure was nice to be able to use the Scenera, so much lighter!

http://render1.snapfish.com/render2...KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QPGo|Rup6eQJ|/of=50,503,443

Marinesfamily5

ROFL ... just think if you had gotten the scenera instead she could have hit a growth spurt and outgrown it.

I have so been there though.:whistle:

got DD a Regent cause I didn't think she'd fit a MA....
few months later got lil DS a MA and put her in... well she fit! but only barely (growth spurts!) but still she would have fit just fine at time I got her the regent...
when I first put her in MA and realized she fit I got lil DS a roundabout.. then duh it hit me she was only like an inch from outgrowing the MA so back into regent she went.

in the end I would have had same seats but gotten more use out of MA.... which I got rid of cause couldn't get good latch install in middle
*bangs head on keyboard*

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC