Safety 1st "OnBoard" preemie carseat now available!

ADS

kittykate

Wow, that looks so much nicer than the Graco Assura I had to bring my younger DS home from the NICU in!

cpsaddict

I think this is similar to the one they are selling with the Eddie Bauer system at BRU. I love it. So plush, easy to adjust, the handle can be left up AND the base has a lockoff! So nice and especially for the price. Now, I just need a cuter cover.

scatterbunny

I love this seat, too! I got to play with it at Lifesavers in April, when it was only available as a travel system.

rosey2007

To be honest with you I do not trust Dorel(they also make Cosco brand) brand car seats, but it does look like a nice car seat.

cpsaddict

I try to evaluate each seat on its own merits. ;)

Yes, I do too. There are some products of Dorels that I like and some I don't. I think they hit a home run with the OnBoard(at least a triple;)) I don't like most Evenflo products, but I think they did fabulous with the Triumph Advance.

scatterbunny

I wish I'd had a tape measure with me...I think Judi did, but not sure if she measured them. They were CRAZY-low, I remember thinking how well it would fit a preemie. :)

ETA that my dd was only 4 pounds, 7 ounces at birth, and my mom had a baby at 26 weeks (that didn't make it), so I understand how preemies can range in size. I really think this seat will be a fantastic option for most preemies who are healthy enough to leave the hospital. I can't comment at all on the ease-of-use, only on my first impressions, playing with the seat at a booth. ;) But I really, really liked it (and I've never really liked Dorel infant seats much; the only ones I like less are the Evenflo carriers).

canadiangie

I wonder if it's coming to Canada?

The Keyfit is coming, but not all families can afford it (it will be over $200 here, probably $250ish), and the Evenflo buckets continue to be horrendous to use and install correctly...

I hope the On Board comes here and is around the $100-120 mark. :thumbsup:

Lord knows we sure have a need for a preemie friendly seat.

(having brought home a 3 lb-er in an Evenflop I speak from experience :thumbsdown:)

kittykate

Too bad it's a Dorel seat :thumbsdown: It looks really nice. I wish Graco or one of the others would make one.

Graco already makes a preemie seat-- the Assura. Its rated 0-22 pounds, but has no EPS foam, no base and is very bare bones. We had to take my 36 weeker home in one since he couldn't pass his carseat in any of the other seats we tried (Embrace, Snugride and a couple other infant seats that I don't recall.) It was also one of a two seats in which the harness actually fit him correctly, I can't remember which other seat had low harness slots, though.

I would love to see a premium preemie seat from graco, though :)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I hope this seat shows up in Canada too. I believe we're getting a new safety 1st infant seat, but I'm not sure what the model name is. (Don't recall, just saw it in the system at work when I was looking for something else.)

To be honest with you I do not trust Dorel(they also make Cosco brand) brand car seats, but it does look like a nice car seat.

Too bad it's a Dorel seat :thumbsdown: It looks really nice. I wish Graco or one of the others would make one.

I'm in agreement with Jenny:

I try to evaluate each seat on its own merits. ;)

Comments such as the first 2 are unfair to both parents for whom this seat meets their needs best, and the manufacturer as well. I find myself wondering if comments would be made the same about Britax if a skeleton had been pulled out of their closet. Remember that as part of the general public nobody knows the whole story on anything unless they've personally been involved in it, and every company is in this business for profit regardless of what they'd have you believe. Although good consumer relations is definitely better for the bottom line. :whistle:

I don't expect anyone to change their personal opinion. But please don't post to a thread with the almost sole comment of not trusting dorel (or insert other hated manufacturer here.) It really isn't relevant to the release of a new seat. You don't like it, don't buy it. For many parents the seat will meet a need and if it's an affordable option many many babies will be much safer as a result.

canadiangie

Well since I feel the need to defend my post, my gripe with Evenflo seats is legit IMHO. It's not based on a pie in the sky conspiracy theory or whatever. For all I know their infant seats are perfectly safe, just nearly impossible to use and install correctly.

The chest clip is like the size of a small dinner plate LOL (just awesome for small babies don't you know), the handle when lowered takes up so much front to back room I have doubts a Hummer could accomodate it and it's 1.5" clearance space, the harness takes f.o.r.e.v.e.r to re-adjust (how many have you seen with the harness not re-threaded through the shell, only the fabric? I've seen too many to count). Adjusting from the back isn't impossible unless you're working with an Evenflo that nearly requires the seat be flipped upside down each time...which of course means most babies go with a loose harness... The base needs some *serious* convincing during installation, and even then, it's touch and go IMO...replication of install is a definite concern.

I'll continue to suggest ANY other infant seat BUT Evenflo until Evenflo decides to produce a user friendly seat. :twocents:

ZephyrBlue

Well since I feel the need to defend my post,

I am not aware of any policy here that requires anyone to defend their posts. As far as I know, we are all free to post to any thread that we choose.

As Angie pointed out, Evenflo has a combination of dangerous policies that keep seats that that are downright dangerous on the market AND their infant seats are a major pain to use. It's not like people are making things up to complain about.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Graco already makes a preemie seat-- the Assura.

This isn't really a preemie seat, it's a seat that's made for hospitals to give out, whether preemie or full term. I'm assuming you had the 5 pt version since you said it fit well. The ones I've seen passed out here have been the 3 pt, NOT appropriate for a preemie. The bottom slots on either is still 7", too tall for most preemies.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Well since I feel the need to defend my post, my gripe with Evenflo seats is legit IMHO. It's not based on a pie in the sky conspiracy theory or whatever. For all I know their infant seats are perfectly safe, just nearly impossible to use and install correctly.

Sorry Angie, I really wasn't commenting on your post at all because you were more saying you didn't like your seat. There's a difference between not liking it vs. boycotting a manufacturer for whatever reason. We all have seats we like and don't like and there's nothing wrong with that... my issue is just with saying all Dorel seats are bad or all "fill in the blank" seats are bad. ;)

FWIW, some of the new Evenflo seats coming out are front adjust, and they're using a smaller chest clip on them now. I still don't like the whole handle thing, but in the user friendly department they've definitely improved. The bases aren't too bad anymore either. (Although it would be the 2nd last infant seat I'd recommend with the last being any of the back adjust designer 22 seats & clones. Now those bases are a beast to install in far too many vehicles...

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
This isn't really a preemie seat, it's a seat that's made for hospitals to give out, whether preemie or full term. I'm assuming you had the 5 pt version since you said it fit well. The ones I've seen passed out here have been the 3 pt, NOT appropriate for a preemie. The bottom slots on either is still 7", too tall for most preemies.

It's considered a preemie seat since it has no bottom weight limit. It's probably exactly the same as a Snugride but at least it has the low weight limit. Ours are 5 pts.

I saw the EB version of the OnBoard in my SN class (when it was just available as a travel system) and really liked it. The body support is pretty nifty.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC