car seats on a train?

ADS

teekadog

Thanks. That's what I thought, it's just always confused me. DH wants to travel by train instead of plane so we don't have to wrestle with car seats. I said we should just book a flight on a seatbelt-less plane, right?

Kat_Momof3

well, trains having accidents are pretty rare, much like a plane, but with no risk of a crash landing.

I think, much like a bus, it's a matter of it just inherently being safer than a car.

I'd honestly be fine going by train, but it would depend on the age and maturity of the kids.

And I'd still take carseats (stored) for when you get there, unless you won't be using a car or taxi of any kind.

NVMBR02

When dd was a baby/young toddler we travelled all the time by train, we lived in Europe. Since once we were at our destination we walked or took a train we didn't need a carseat. I never felt unsafe and would do it again in a heartbeat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper did her first train ride at nine months up to DC. We took the metro or walked, so no carseat. We took it last to NYC in December and I brought a backless booster for her that I could carry on the subway or hooked onto my day bag for her, just in case we ended up in a taxi, or I knew we were going to.

Wendy

natysr

If you took a carseat on a train because you needed it at the other end of your destination. Would it be horrible to put the carseat RF in one of the train seats without installing it at all, just braced to the back of the seat in front of it? This question is just out of curiosity, because I know that my son would not be able to stay in his seat for longer than a 10 minute train ride unless he was in a carseat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It wouldn't work. There's much more legroom on a train than a plane, so you'd end up with the seat falling on its head. If anything you could prop it forward facing, but in a collision if your child was in it you'd then have a 20 pound projectile at their back.

You can put it in the overhead luggage area.

Wendy

cryswilkins

Mark trains off our mode of transportation. I would never want to try to keep my DD sitting in her seat for that long. Shoot me now....

NVMBR02

It has never been an issue for us. DD was more than happy to look out the window and the seats were pretty comfortable. I wish their were more trains in the US, it would be our primary mode of transportation if it was available to us.

Kat_Momof3

I was wondering about this too. Thanks for asking :thumbsup: I think we're going on the Polar Express this winter :love:

You know, we skipped it last year because I was worried about Ruthie being still, but after she behaved so well on the boat at the aquarium, that's exactly what we're going to do this year, too.

I hope it is as fun as it sounds!

Qarin

Well, one nice thing about being on a train is that you DON'T have to stay seated the whole time. There are places to go- lounge car, diner, the bathroom, other people to meet and visit with. Getting up and moving in the aisles doesn't block train-attendants pushing carts, and nobody ever turns on the Fasten Seatbelt sign and tells you you have to get back to your seat. When you're at yours seats, there's generally a fair amount of legroom, a tray table, a window- you can sit up on your knees sideways if you're five, wiggle around, whatever.

I highly, highly recommend train travel.

natysr

It wouldn't work. There's much more legroom on a train than a plane, so you'd end up with the seat falling on its head. If anything you could prop it forward facing, but in a collision if your child was in it you'd then have a 20 pound projectile at their back.

You can put it in the overhead luggage area.

Wendy

Thanks for the info. Jordan has has been begging to ride on the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) lately. This simply will not work for him. :p

Kat_Momof3

Well, one nice thing about being on a train is that you DON'T have to stay seated the whole time. There are places to go- lounge car, diner, the bathroom, other people to meet and visit with. Getting up and moving in the aisles doesn't block train-attendants pushing carts, and nobody ever turns on the Fasten Seatbelt sign and tells you you have to get back to your seat. When you're at yours seats, there's generally a fair amount of legroom, a tray table, a window- you can sit up on your knees sideways if you're five, wiggle around, whatever.

I highly, highly recommend train travel.

yeah, when I mentioned sitting still, I meant more like just reasonable behavior on the train, and sitting in the seat in an allowable way and staying where you want them to.

I was amazed Ruthie, at 4, didn't want to get up at all from her seat on the boat ride we took at the Aquarium and that her brothers were instinctively cautious about walking slowly. It was so nice and relaxing that it has me really wanting to take them on the Polar Express this year.

Jmark

I happen to be a qualified Railroad Conductor in NY (i happen to volunteer on a tourist road ,but the qualifications are the same)

Here's a little insight on railroad safety:

Its regarded as safer than flying
There are MANY protections in place preventing accidents with other pieces of rolling equipment

Railroad equipment is HEAVY (a "light" passenger car can weigh 100 tons) and therefore, your pretty well protected (i know that the laws of physics still apply)

The most important things you can do with your kids are:
keep them seated, out of aisles, and OUT of vestibules (away from moving forces of cars close together)

If on a tourist train, keep 100% of their bodies inside the windows

When boarding, WATCH your step and watch the gap between platform and train (if your not boarding from the ground)

Any more questions, feel free to PM me.

Shanora

We were just on a 36 hour train ride, and both my kids did wonderful. Liam is a bit of a handful...and busy busy busy....but not to bad on the train. I kept my MA Box and shipped my seat in that. The staff was wonderful, and the ride was awesome. However on the way back, I'm hoping that we get a 4 seater and not a 2 seater and a single...cause it would make sleeping arrangements a little easier!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC