Just got back from the Pediatrician

MomofOlivia407

for DD's 15 month checkup.

Doc: "I just want to make sure she is still rear facing-she needs to be until she is at least 2"

Me: "She will probly stay RF until she is 4 at the rate she is growing"

Doc: "Oh good, I will say it every time you are here because it's part of my repertoire (sp?)"

Yay to my doc! They are getting the picture! She didn't say it last time I was in there 3 months ago-but I mentioned it to her, so I am hoping that she went home and did a little research & decided that it was a good thing to say to everyone.

ADS

Brendan's Mom

Wow that is wonderful! The info about the AAP changes must be slow getting out because last sick visit we were at I asked him about his feeling and recommendations on RF and he looked surprised. When I asked him about the AAP changes he was shocked and upset he wasn't aware. I sent him some more literature, but I know he went home to do some research. I am curious to talk to him again about RF'ing.

Ali

That's great! I'm glad more docs are getting on board. At DDs 3 year appt, all my doc said was is she still sitting in a booster in the car? Um, no, she was still RF!

xxluckychicxx

Doc: "I just want to make sure she is still rear facing-she needs to be until she is at least 2"

Yay to my doc! They are getting the picture!

Hooray! Finally! Someone needs to get my pedi to jump on board. He had me turn my son around at 9.5 mos. because he was over 20lbs and "had good neck control" :eek: So glad I found this board!!!

In the literature my pedi hands out at well baby checkups it says to RF until 10-12 mos and then turn the FFing!

ZephyrBlue

That's awesome! Our ped. told me to be sure to turn all 3 of mine at 12mos. With #3, I told her that the AAP had changed their stance and that she might want to look into it. She wasn't interested :thumbsdown:

lovemycamdel

Took my dd a week ago for her 18 month check up. We were not able to see her doctor saw the nurse practioner(sp?). She said "she should be in a forward facing car seat in the car". And I replied she is still rearfacing in a convertable car seat. She looked at me like I was crazy and said "and why is that?" When I started to say that I had done some research she cut me off, end of discussion. Needless to say we wll not be seeing her again. I love my my dc regular doctor. But I would venture to guess that the whole office may not be up to date on carseat use.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That's great! I'm glad more docs are getting on board. At DDs 3 year appt, all my doc said was is she still sitting in a booster in the car? Um, no, she was still RF!

That's funny. I got info at AJ's 4yo appt about being in a booster, ummmm, I'll be happy if Evan weighs enough by then he HAS to be ffing. :)

Logan and my son have a check up next friday. I can't wait to see her face when she hears Logan is still rearfacing :whistle: and Michael is harnessed! :love:

I am bringing info for her. She is an older doctor, but super super nice and seems to listen to patients.

Marinesfamily5

I wish they were all like that...

we had a pedi tell us "oh she can be turned forward now, probably be more comfy since shes a big girl" at DDs 1 year apt. :eek::thumbsdown:

Ice Princess

That is awesome. Now if the whole medical community as a whole would jump on board. I am still ticked one RN I know are saying it is dangerous and they see injuries ALL the time:mad:

valleyfam

Our 15 month check was today too and we got the "now she can forward face but still needs a car seat" exact same thing as the 12 month. I responded as always she's still rearfacing and will be as long as possible. Come on this is your profession people!!!:mad: So glad your ped is atleast open to mentioning RF.

BookMama

Senior Community Member

I keep waiting for DS' ped to ask this so that I can say "No, almost never!" :p

bobbysgirl7103

WOW! That's awesome! My ped is OK, but not that good! Mine told me I could turn DD around at 20 lbs :(, but he was happy to hear I was extended harnessing my 5 yr old DS :).

MomofOlivia407

I was of course thinking about this again last night & am wondering if her other patients will listen when she tells them that their kids should be RF until 2? Or do you think they'll look at her like she's crazy? I almost never see ERF here, so I just don't know if they'll listen & care enough to actually do it...but then again, she is a doctor, and has been a ped for about 30 years, so maybe they will...I sure hope so. I'll have to ask her next time (when I am less excited that she asks me) what people's reactions usually are! I have the ERF brochure in my purse-I should have given it to her to pass out, too...

monstah

My son is coming up on 3 and my daughter is nearly 2 yo.
In the many, many appts not one doc ever mentioned anything about car seats. Never.
I go to a practice with about 8 pediatricians and have seen them all.
I guess no info is better than bad info???

featherhead

I don't think my doctor has ever mentioned carseats. Yesterday was my dd's 1 year immunizations, and the public health nurse asked if she was in a forward facing carseat. I said, "actually she's still rear-facing, she doesn't weigh enough yet to be forward-facing". The nurse said, "yeah, she is a little thing" or something like that:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC