SUV's and rollover risk?

U

Unregistered

Hi all,
We are talking about getting a new(er) car and I've been looking at the Toyota Avalon and the RAV4. I need something that will comfortably seat 3 kids across the back, with a Regent. My boys will probably outgrow their boosters before I get the car, but they are big boys, so we'll need some hip room. :)

I really like the SUV's and was particularly interested in Honda and Toyota. I have heard that the rollover % is higher with SUV's though, and if this really is a big issue, then I will get the Avalon. (or Honda equivalent) But I really like the RAV4. :D

I want the safest option--headrests and lap/sholder belts in all positions, side curtain airbags, tether anchors, etc. Thanks!

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
You can compare the crash test results at http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx :)

Almost 50% of accidents are to the front, so good frontal scores are a must regardless.... Although roll overs are the most deadly kind of crash & side impacts are also very dangerous, side curtain airbags & properly restraining all passengers greatly reduces the risks -- positioning the kids in harness type restraints outboard & bigger kids in the middle would evenly distribute safety....

I don't know specifics about which SUVs have which features, but my 2005 Hybrid Escape had 3 top tether anchors & outboard LATCH could be used for a center seat install (either/or, not both center+outboard) -- I fit a Forward Facing Britax Boulevard between a Rear Facing Britax Wizard & Parkway in my Escape :) (LOVED that gas mileage, too *SIGH* I miss that car!!!) Side curtain airbags are optional on the Escape....

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Also look at the Chevy Equinox/Pontiac Torrant. They have a wide back seat (I have gotten 3 carseats across an Equinox). They come with side curtain airbags for both rows. Get good gas mileage (I think one of the best for small SUV market) plus a fully loaded one runs around $27k.

scatterbunny

Just be aware of the differences in IIHS and NHTSA testing--they score the same vehicles differently, and the differences in testing account for that.

On frontal tests, the
government has the full front hit a barrier at 35 m.p.h., while the
institute's test has a barrier strike part of the front end at 40 m.p.h.

For side tests, the government's program measures the equivalent of a
passenger car striking another passenger car in the driver's side at 38.5
m.p.h., while the institute simulates an SUV striking a passenger car at 31
m.p.h.

The tests, which assess vehicle structure and restraint systems, lead to
discrepancies in scores, a potential source of confusion for consumers. For
example, side-impact tests conducted by the institute last year gave poor
marks to the 2005 Volkswagen Beetle, Hyundai Elantra and Kia Spectra. In
government testing, the vehicle's scores ranged from three to five stars in
front- and rear-seating positions.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the links. :) Now we are talking about getting a Sienna. :lol If we're going to spend that much money, we might as well get something big enough. :D

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
If you visit www.informedforlife.org , you will find vehicle ratings from 2004-2006 models that include IIHS, NHTSA, weight and rollover ratings. They are all combined into one rating that considers the relative risk of each factor. It's a great comparsion tool that can be used across all weights and classes of vehicles.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC