Terrible Frontier head slump!

zactayaus

This is how my 5yo ds looked today when we got home from picking up dd from my moms house.:eek:

100_1847.jpg

100_1845.jpg

We have had some minor head slump in it before but this was terrible. Of course it did not bother him at all (obviously) but I was afraid it would cut off his airway.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think we need to break out the old trick we used to teach kids in boosters... when you feel sleepy, put your forehead into the side wing (look out the window), then your head will stay up better. (This was a HUGE problem back in the old Starriser when it was the most popular booster, and kids really do learn that trick...keeps 'em really upright!)
Still, I'm bummed to see that :(

WOW! Bummer! that stinks! My son who is 5 1/2 is always falling asleep in his frontier and I have never had a head slump. But, I also have the captain's chair in my van clicked 2 notches...mabey that is why?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
M's head slumped once like that (he was in a *dead* sleep), we just tucked his head back into position and it stayed. His head would do the same thing in the Radian in a *dead* sleep, but it wouldn't stay back in position when we put it back. It's never bothered M, but it sure doesn't look comfy to me.

For the record, you can't cut off the airway of a 5 year old and not have them wake up. They have head control... if their airway is being blocked, they will move their head. ;)

Having an airway blocked is only a concern with newborns that do not have head control to lift their head if their airway becomes blocked. :)

zactayaus

Ok. So, yes, he was definitely in a dead sleep. I will try teaching him the look out the window trick. My dd never has issues sleeping in anything. She just throws her head back and slightly to the side and thats how she stays for as long as she sleeps:p, but ds just likes to flop his head forward. I do wish I could recline the seats of the vehicle but it's installed in dh's truck so we don't have that option, but I'm sure it would help. It did seem more reclined in my Suburban I guess my seats are at more of an angle. And thanks for letting me know about the airway thing. I really thought he could stop breathing. Every time we came to a red light I would check to see if I could see him breathing. Dd was already sleeping or I would of had her push his head back. I feel better now though.

April

Yikes! That's how my youngest sleeps in every car seat too. It looks so uncomfortable!

DCBINDY

The Frontier seat is shipped with the recline block in the booster position.

Do you have the seat recline block moved to the harness position?

See page 15 in the instruction manual.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member

Ours is installed correctly (I'm a tech, too ;)) with the recline block in the correct position. Kids in a dead sleep will just have their heads fall forward in pretty much any seat the second you slow down a little fast or go around a corner a little fast... it's just a fact. ;) :D

zactayaus

The recline block is forward. The actual vehicle seats in the silverado are just more upright than my suburban so the Frontier just doesn't lean back enough. It is a great seat though and I still love it and it will remain in the silverado because that is our main vehicle right now. I have a GN in my truck fully reclined and we get horrible head slump in that too. I think that is just the way he sleeps but we will be working on the trick that joolsplus3 mentioned and hopefully that will help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC