God Hates Me.

xxluckychicxx

Seriously. It's kinda funny how just YESTERDAY I posted about the extra Safe Seat and my DD's horrendous blowouts, and today she has one that would smash any record ever set. It's bad.

Anyhoo, on to my question. I'm not quite sure how she pulled it off but the BM is all over the buckle, and has actually gone down through the buckle slot all over the underneath of the carseat :eek:. It's all over the Gracopedic foam also. Of course this happened after Graco was closed for the day, but I got on their website to try to order replacement parts, and they are out of stock of *both* of the parts I need (see what I mean about God hating me? lol). Is there anything I can use other than just water to clean the buckle? And is it safe to use w/o the Gracopedic foam until I can get a replacement ordered?

ADS

niccig

No help on the Graco parts, but have you considered using a cloth diaper cover over the top of the disposables? We never had blowouts when we used cloth diapers as you have 2 layers - the cloth diaper and the cover. The BM would get out of the cloth diaper but the cover would contain it, so no blowout on clothes, carseat etc. With disposables, we got blowouts as there's only one layer. I understand if you don't want to use a cloth diaper, but you can still use a cover over a disposable to give the same effect. The cover is usually a waterproof fabric and are either pull on pants or shaped like a diaper and with snap/velcro closures.

Just a thought to help with all that washing...

xxluckychicxx

No help on the Graco parts, but have you considered using a cloth diaper cover over the top of the disposables?

I had been seriously considering cloth diapers, but being a single mom with 2 in diapers and no washer i didnt really see it as an option, but using a cloth diaper cover over a disposable is such a wonderful idea! Thanks:thumbsup:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Just rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse with lukewarm water. (I've had my entire infant seat in/on the kitchen sink a few times trying to get some ick or other out of it!)

(and yeah, try diaperswappers.com for a cheap bummis cover or even a fuzzi bunz--without an insert in it-- to put over your disposables, I try to always use one in the car over a sposie :thumbsup:)

Ughhh, that stinks! I switched from disposable diapers to cloth(really, because my son had eczema and the diapers were irrating him), but he never had a blowout again. You can get them cheap on ebay, diapers swap stuff and more.

Also...what brand diapers are you using? That could be the problem.

arly1983

Just rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse with lukewarm water. (I've had my entire infant seat in/on the kitchen sink a few times trying to get some ick or other out of it!)

:yeahthat:

I once got some nasty prune/formula vomit out of a marathon's tan straps/comfort pad and I would have NEVER imagined it would come out. It was all up under the cover by the time we got home. I just unassembled the whole seat and in the bathtub and rinsed like crazy with cold water. There was never even any smell. I was REALLY shocked:eek:

xxluckychicxx

Also...what brand diapers are you using?

I have just recently switched to Luvs, and surprisingly they are just as good as Pampers and better than Huggies IMO. She's BFed though so everytime she has a BM its a huge explosion and goes right up the back and out the leg holes.

Is it ok to totally soak the buckle by running it under water? And will it be ok to soak the Gracopedic foam?

featherhead

I know for the buckle they say to clean by running water through, so that should be fine. The foam I am not sure about. You could check the owner's manual to see if it says anything. If not, I would run water over it as well. It shouldn't wreck it in any way.

jdubsm

My son had a blowout like that once on vacation. We had to drive 4 hours in the summer heat before we got back home. It was all over the foam of his Roundabout. I figured I was going to have to replace it anyway so I threw it in my washer(front loader) on the hand wash cycle in cold water then hung it to dry. It worked great but I went against the manufacturers instructions.

clintamykami

Don't know if this will help your DD- but worth a shot! I've tried Huggies (all types), Pampers, Walmart brand (HATED THEM), Safeway (LOVE THEM!) and then I found Target brand! Since I started using them when she was 9 mo my DD has NEVER leaked! I'm so impressed she's had every type of BM immaginable and filled her diaper to the brim after drinking tons of H2O. Buy a small package and try them. Every kid is different but it's worth a shot! I mean NEVER leaked- the poo has come up the back but never out! I couldn't believe how easy Huggies leaked when I used some at Gmas.

MsFacetious

Another idea is double diapering. When we would use 2 Pamper's and stop at the first sign of smell...I was almost always able to keep it contained. At least keeping it from getting on the car seat. There was a few blankets sacrificed....but, those can be thrown in the washer!

cryswilkins

I agree, try different types of diapers. My DD only leaked when she was sizes too.

I would run cool water over the buckle and scrub it with baking soda and a tooth brush.

xxluckychicxx

Update: Ok so I called Graco and they said I could handwash the Gracopedic foam and then ring it out and drip dry it but to ABSOLUTELY NOT submerge the buckle and buckle strap in water or even put it under running water. She said to only wipe it with a damp cloth.

Well, that just isnt going to cut it for this mess so I asked about ordering a new buckle and she said that I would have to order the whole harness for $19.95 and that it was back ordered for 2 weeks. Anyone have a Sefe Seat they want to gut the buckle part out of for me? lol

MsFacetious

I would just run out and get a Cosco Scenera while you wait for the part to arrive. Then you'll have a spare if you need it anyway. :thumbsup:

Unless of course you can put her in the Uptown or something.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
but to ABSOLUTELY NOT submerge the buckle and buckle strap in water or even put it under running water. She said to only wipe it with a damp cloth.

Lemme get this straight - Graco says that being doused with liquid poo won't hurt the harness or buckle, and that you can just wipe the poo off with a damp cloth and it will be perfectly safe to use it, but that WATER is somehow going to permanently damage it?

:scratcheshead:

I think I'd be calling back for a clarification on that one...

xxluckychicxx

Lemme get this straight - Graco says that being doused with liquid poo won't hurt the harness or buckle, and that you can just wipe the poo off with a damp cloth and it will be perfectly safe to use it, but that WATER is somehow going to permanently damage it? :scratcheshead: I think I'd be calling back for a clarification on that one...

Yeah.. the girl I talked to didnt sound like the brightest crayon in the box, to put it lightly. I kept trying to eplain the severe BM mess that I was dealing with and she just kept saying "Graco only recommends using a damp cloth to wipe it off". I asked if I could run it under water, or better yet use a mild baby soap or something and she just kept saying "No, Graco only recomments using a damn cloth". I'll call back up there on monday and hopefully get someone a little better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC