WWYD? 4 year old in booster(not 40 pounds yet)

I have a dilema. I have 6 1/2 months to figure this out though. But, I thought I should start now. If this would of been last year before I knew anything about carseats, I would of said a LBB in any case would be fine(i know-BAD now).

My son will be going to preschool 2 days a week-10 minutes from my house. The one road they will travel on is a road barely any cars are on, but crossing that road into my subdivision is CRAZY!(fast cars, accidents, ect..), but by then there is suppose to be a stop light.

My cousin(I watch her son) is going to pick up them from preschool those 2 days(seeing she will be on her way home from work and I will be at home with her 3 month old at the time and mabey another kid and have to get Michael off the bus). She said she has a britax parkway that her best friend just gave her that she isn't using anymore(She trusts this friend with her life-my cousin is a carseat nut like me as well).
So, she said....she could put Logan in the britax parkway booster on those days home from preschool.

Otherwise I have to buy a HWH seat for her car(which I honestly, don't have the money for-seeing all my kids are basically gone come fall-money wise) and it is just for 2 days a week for a 10 minute drive.

Logan right now is 29/30 pounds and so far it has taken him 2 years to just gain the 4 pounds.

At the tiem she will be driving him he will be just turned 4 years old(he turns 4 on 1/26/09) and I am guessing will be at 33-35 pounds TOPS).

I am very uncertain on what to do. Please tell me what you think. IF it was a cheapo Booster I would say NO WAY, but this is a nice one that fits small kids nice and he is the child that never moves an inch in the car.(my 5 1/2 year old is a different story).

She will have a marathon for her 3 year old and a snugride for her new baby in there. She drives an 07' Honda Pilot.

What do you think? And I can't give her my extra seat I am guessing him or logan would of outgrown the scenera by then. So, then I am going to have to put One of them in the frontier on the way to preschool(which is ok, seeing Michael will be already at school-so he won't need it)And I can adjust the height on the frontier without moving it, and one will be in the FPSVD seat.

WWYD? I am torn!

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'm sorry, but at 30ish pounds and just-turned-4, I would not be comfortable with booster use.

Why would you need a HWH? Can you get by with a Graco Cargo or Evenflo Chase?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
How do you adjust the height of the Frontier without moving it? The adjustment is in the back of the seat. :confused:

I don't know if I would be comfortable having a young/small child in a booster... although I have *no* doubts he'd fit properly. My 30lbs, just turned 3 yr old fits properly in the Parkway, but does NOT ride in it. ;)

What about an inexpensive Chase? Easily moved and installs well and he should easily be under the 40lbs limit. :)

You know your right about the cargo or chase. I wasn't sure if it would be worth it for the harness height.

Oh and how I adjust the frontier without moving the seat? It is in my captains chair(without the captains chair headrest) and for some reason I can push it forward just a bit to adjust it! It hurts my hand and scratches it, but it is doable. ;-)

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I don't think I'd do it. Not just turned 4 and really pretty far away from 40 lbs. I'd likely buy a Chase. Super cheap and narrow. He should make it close to 40 lbs in it. By the time he hits 40 lbs he will be well into his 4th year and rounding the corner to 5.

mum2two

If he's 30 pounds now...he might only be 32 in 6months...my DD didn't gain much at all between 3 & 5...she was 32 pounds at her 3 year check up, 35 at her 4 year and 37 maybe at her 5 year...I agree with others about no booster...he might possibly still fit in the Scenera.

U

Unregistered1

Just gotta throw in that A is tiny too (5 and 33 lbs) and is even with the slots on the Chase, has about an inch in the Bolero, and it looks like an inch and a half in the Cargo. I bought the Bolero when she was 4 and it's lasted us over a year, and she's a long torsoed one. I think a high top slot 40 lb seat would be your answer.

TerisBoys

I'd wait until closer to then and re-evaluate. Unless you find a Cargo on clearance somewhere uber cheap.

I just had to make sure I wasn't being crazy to thinking I should have him in a harness. Hubby is all on board now with the ERF and EH, but he thought that would be just fine. I know it is 6 1/2 months away though, so that got me thinking...mabey.... But..then I look at crash video's and say NO WAY! UGhhh, decisions...

So, I already know I love the cargo(we have one, but gave it to my sister for her youngest to keep her out of a HBB at 2 years old :eek: and I gave my chase to my friend to use to keep her just turned 2 years old out of a HBB in grandma's car(now, I kick myself for givign those away, but otherwise those 2 could't of afforded anything-and don't qualify for free seats).

Ok, so I am on a hunt now for a dirt cheap cargo. All I need is at least a year left of life in it, right? Anyone :whistle:
I tried him in the one in target(bought a cargo and brought it home and tried it this evening and he is too close to the top slots, so the Padded ones are out)! The ones without padding he has over an inch or more left!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC