Help me explain importance of carseats to my sitter

hsg

We have a wonderful nanny from Brazil. She is the sweetest 22 year old and takes wonderful care of our children. Our only problem with her has been impressing the extreme importance of proper carseat usage. I believe the miscommunication is coming from 1) our english-portuguese language barrier, 2) cultural differences - I'm not sure how strict the average family in Brazil is regarding car seat safety.

We've had 2 problems that I'll list below if you care to read. But my question is: - is there a simple video that I could show her that shows car seat installation, how to properly buckle the children in, and possibly even a crash test video that might show her how even driving down the street could result in a serious injury or worse? Keep in mind her english is fair at best.

The first problem was at my oldest son's school. At his school the teachers buckle the children in the cars while the driver stays in the vehicle. The teacher could not get my son's harness buckled and she told our sitter but the sitter did not understand. So she drove home with him unbuckled. My son told me and I explained for him to yell if he were ever unbuckled again. I also spoke with her and explained that she must check that he is buckled before driving away. Not her fault because it was a language barrier issue but gave me a good scare.

The second problem really showed me that she just didn't 'get it' when it comes to my car seat fanaticism (or hopefully any parent's basic car seat safety:) Our sitter took the car seats out of the car to transport some friends on an outing. She told me about it and I explained that it was difficult to get the seats installed properly so could she please not remove them - but I honestly don't think she really understood what I meant. I asked my husband repeatedly to install the carseats (he is stronger than me and can get them very tight) and he did not (I won't get into the argument that followed here:) Normally our sitter walks the children to camp but this morning was raining. So she took the kids in the car. They were buckled into the seats... but the seats weren't buckled to the car!!!... and the rearfacing baby was facing forward!!! (as if that would matter since it was just sitting in the seat) My stomach still hurts from hearing this from her. She could tell by the look of horror on my face that I was upset and she said, "No it is OK. The seats were very close together so they did not move. And it was only to camp so it was a short ride." Of course I visualize the left turn on the way to camp getting T Boned by an 18 wheeler and the kids carseats as 3 projectiles from the car. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since and just don't know where to start. We of course have properly installed the carseats in the car and will tell her to NEVER take them out again. But I worry that the gravity of the subject of carseats is not sinking in and REALLY want to explain it to her. She loves the children so much and would never want them hurt. So somehow I need to convey that she is risking their lives with this carelessness.

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Any chance you could get a translator in? Talk to them about it first, then get them to explain it to her? Until I was 110% sure she understood the gravity of the situation, I wouldn't allow her to take the kids in a vehicle.

orangemnms

:eek:

I second the above. If there is a language barrier, and you cant get her to understand, she cant drive with your children, period. I'm positive you could find a translator in any number of places for free.

ctbcleveland

Not that this is the reason we advocate car seats, but I would emphasize the police...and legal issues.

I would tell her it is ILLEGAL for kids to not be in their car seats (installed properly) and that she could got to jail.

That sounds mean, but it might be more effective. In her country, they might not use car seats like we do, but she clearly will understand the ramifications of going to jail.

ctbcleveland

Also - is she here with a program (like an Au Pair)? If so, you might want to suggest that the agency make this part of their training.

Au Pairs are fairly common where I live and I imagine this is not an isolated situation.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
You can look on youtube for basic crash tests. Just search for car seat crash test...and you'll also find the one without the carseats.

Susan

Connor's Mom

Not that this is the reason we advocate car seats, but I would emphasize the police...and legal issues.

I would tell her it is ILLEGAL for kids to not be in their car seats (installed properly) and that she could got to jail.

That sounds mean, but it might be more effective. In her country, they might not use car seats like we do, but she clearly will understand the ramifications of going to jail.

I want to know where it is that you go to jail for not having your kids restrained properly? It sure isn't anywhere I have been. Definatley not that way here in Texas.. :confused:

I would be worried about other things than car safety if the lanquage barrier is that great. Are you sure that there are not other things that she is not understanding?

I think that SusanMae has a good idea, show here some youtube vdeos. They are pretty straight forward in getting the point accross.

hsg

Thank you all for the advice. Yes she is an au pair with an agency. They do a basic carseat training during their initial training. She always buckles them in properly - I have checked that since the beginning. This was just one scenario I hadn't predicted. I took your advice and got a translator to help relay the magnitude of her error. And I feel she really gets it. We told her not to ever take out the seats. And if for some reason a seat should come loose - even if she were away from home - DO NOT drive anywhere but call us and we'll come help.

Thank you all again! I'll search on youtube also. I think that would be helpful.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Glad you to hear you were able to get a translator so quickly hsg! I hope she was receptive to the information you gave her.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC