Spin-off Target Marathons (I have new information)

Chex

I started a new thread so everybody could see the "new" prices I found.

I have had the most frustrating/exciting night.

We went out to dinner and there was a Target in the same parking lot, so I told dh I wanted to run in and check the price on something really quick. (Can't tell him what it was for obvious reasons :whistle:) They had a Graystone and Brooke Marathon on display. Only the Graystone was clearanced, but they didn't have any on the shelf. So I called a lady over to help me. She scanned in the GS and it came up $134.98! :eek: My heart started thumping. I begged her to tell me she had one in the back. She checked her little scanner thingy and said they were all out of them. And because they were clearanced, wouldn't be getting anymore. The Brooke was still the regular price of $269.99. So the lady checked some Targets in the surrounding area and said they had some so I should go check them out. I took the kids home w/dh, put them to bed and headed out.

The next Target I went to had only a GS on display, but 2 GS's in boxes and 1 Brooke in a box. All the boxes looked like they'd been through a hurricane. So I'm not sure if I'd have bought them even if they were on clearance, which they weren't. And their DOM's were all 2007, one of the GS's was even August 2007. All full price still. I probably should've stopped someone to ask why they weren't clearanced, but there was another Target just a couple of miles away so I didn't. I wouldn't have bought them anyway because of the DOM's. (Well, maybe I would've for $134).

So I head to the 3rd Target in my area (I know, we have a lot....you should see how many Walmarts we have). They had a GS w/a DOM of March 2008! I was so excited. Until I saw the price. It was "clearanced", but for $229. That's just way too much (especially after seeing that another Target had lowered them to $134). So I got a manager and asked what the deal was with all the stores having differing prices. He said that each store has different clearances at different times. And so you have to check each one if there's something you're looking for. And they don't match other stores' prices. ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH! I'm so frustrated!

So I called 2 more Targets that are by my parents (about 30 mins away) and one of those have them on clearance for $188, but none in stock and the other one didn't have them on clearance at all yet. So I guess I'm stuck calling the Targets by me daily until they go down in price.

But that's part of the info I wanted to pass on. If you call Target and tell them you have an item # and want to know if it's in-stock and what the price is, they'll help you so that you don't have to drive there everyday.

So here's the # for the Brooke: 030 09 0653
And the # for the Graystone is: 030 09 0177

So there is hope that they'll go even lower than $189 at some stores. The trick is catching it in time to buy one before they sell out.

I hope my night of craziness helps someone. Target will be very sick of me calling them everyday for the next while! :whistle:

Oh, one more thing....the Roundabout at the first store was $108. And they had it in-stock. It was tempting, but I just can't justify buying a 40 lb weight limit seat. (My kids are tall and usually hit 40 lbs by 3 1/2-4 yrs old).

ADS

crunchierthanthou

I think we're in the same area. I had the hardest time making myself stay home today. Can you tell me which stores you checked? Was there a pattern as to whether super or regular targets had them on clearance? As much as I love the RA, I may not be able to resist a relatively new one for $108.

Wineaux

You can always attempt a return and rebuy at the cheapest Target. You buy the seat at a higher price at one store, and then return it for a full refund at the cheapest store. Now here is where having a willing assistant comes in handy...

Have that person hang around the customer service area after you return the seat and leave the store. It's best if they wait until the seat it put back out on the floor, but waiting 20-30 minutes is usually OK too. You assistant now either grabs the seat off the shelf and scans it, or casually walks up to the customer service desk and asks them how much the seat it, as they were looking for one, but couldn't find one on the shelf. You should be able to rebuy the seat at the $138 clearance price. If they mark it up, just tell them that the price is too high, and that you'll keep looking elsewhere.

No guarantees, but it should work for you.

If it's just you, then you MUST wait until the seat is returned to the shelf, Just camp out and watch for them to put the seat back on the shelf.

R&J'sMom

You can always attempt a return and rebuy at the cheapest Target. You buy the seat at a higher price at one store, and then return it for a full refund at the cheapest store. Now here is where having a willing assistant comes in handy...

Have that person hang around the customer service area after you return the seat and leave the store. It's best if they wait until the seat it put back out on the floor, but waiting 20-30 minutes is usually OK too. You assistant now either grabs the seat off the shelf and scans it, or casually walks up to the customer service desk and asks them how much the seat it, as they were looking for one, but couldn't find one on the shelf. You should be able to rebuy the seat at the $138 clearance price. If they mark it up, just tell them that the price is too high, and that you'll keep looking elsewhere.

No guarantees, but it should work for you.

If it's just you, then you MUST wait until the seat is returned to the shelf, Just camp out and watch for them to put the seat back on the shelf.

Unless an employee snatches it up before it gets reshelved. ;)

Another option is to buy it for current clearance price and keep the receipt in your purse. If it goes cheaper, buy another one at the cheaper clearance price and return it with the higher priced receipt.

Chex

My problem is with 4 kids, I don't have time to "camp out" at Target. But if I can find a willing assistant, I may attempt that return/rebuy strategy!

Crunchy, the first Target I went to was Sandy. That's where the $108 RA was. I didn't look at the DOM, though. Sorry. The second one I went to (still full price on both) was The District Target. And the third one I went to was Jordan Landing Target (clearance, but still over $200).

The Sandy one is a Super Target, the District is not, and the Jordan Landing one isn't either. But I also called the AF one, and they had them priced at $189, but none in stock. And I'm not sure if that's a Super Target or not. And the Orem one is a Super Target, but still had them for full-price. So it doesn't look like there's a trend.

Wineaux

Unless an employee snatches it up before it gets reshelved. ;)

Another option is to buy it for current clearance price and keep the receipt in your purse. If it goes cheaper, buy another one at the cheaper clearance price and return it with the higher priced receipt.

Yep. That's why it's best to have two people to do a return/rebuy at Target.

Buying at full price in order to return an identical item when it hits clearance is great if you can stop by your Target on a REALLY regular basis, but when your closest Target is 20 minutes away and gas prices are closing in on the $4/gal range, I end up missing a lot of the items when they hit the 50% or more off price point. The strategy leaves you in the lurch if you can't buy the item on clearance because they are sold out...

monstah

If you are near Neshaminy - they have two Graystones at $229. As of 8:30am Today (July9)

DH says I can't have one :(

R&J'sMom

Yep. That's why it's best to have two people to do a return/rebuy at Target.

Buying at full price in order to return an identical item when it hits clearance is great if you can stop by your Target on a REALLY regular basis, but when your closest Target is 20 minutes away and gas prices are closing in on the $4/gal range, I end up missing a lot of the items when they hit the 50% or more off price point. The strategy leaves you in the lurch if you can't buy the item on clearance because they are sold out...

See, at most of our Target stores, if you return a clearance item and it has been marked down further, it doesn't get reshelved until after the store closes. This is to prevent it from being returned and rebought by the same person.

I've only lucked out once, when a friend returned a clearance item about 10 minutes prior to closing that she didn't know I would want. I had DH go when the store opened and luckily the item was still there.

I have 3 Targets that are pretty close to me and DH passes 2 others on his way home from work.
Every month I go and see my Nephrologist and she''s in another city, so I hit 2 additional Target stores on the way back from that appointment.

Can you tell I'm a faithful perimeter peruser ;)
I love Target clearance!

On a side note, I wish my DH was as enthusiastic about Target clearance as you are Wineaux. He would just rather pay full price and be done with it! Gasp!

arly1983

I don't need a seat AT ALL and you guys are making me want to go and see.

ETA: Did they have infant seats on sale? I wonder....

Last edited:

keri1292

Another good gamble would be to return it at a few minutes before close and be standing outside the doors when they opened the next morning. :whistle:

crunchierthanthou

Thanks, Chex. I think the universe is against me joining your hunt. I decided last night that as much as I want one, I won't need another seat for about a year and it didn't make any sense to buy one. Then to seal the deal I spent all night barfing up Arctic Circle. :(:eek:

I love Target clearance hunting. If you see any more of those $108 RAs, snatch them up. I'm betting you could make $60+ reselling NIB on CL/KSL. :whistle:

Chex

I thought about buying the RA and reselling it on CL, but I wasn't sure if it would really get snatched up. Maybe I should go back and get the it. Hmmmm.

Sorry you're sick, Crunchy. Is it a bug or food poisoning?

crunchierthanthou

I sold my Aug 06 RA on CL in December 07 for $150. I think you could get $180 or more for one NIB, depending on DOM.

I don't know what caused it. I was feeling yucky by the time I finished eating but didn't actually get sick until 2 am. The only thing I can be sure of is that I won't be eating there again for a long, long time. I have horrible food association aversions. sorry for the hijack. and a gross one at that.

brightredmtn

I snuck away to Target this morning before work and both covers were still full price. Maybe your Target's aren't going to carry Britax anymore? Britax is all anyone has around here so maybe they are phasing them out of areas where Britax isn't so popular?

R&J'sMom

I'm thinking they are getting different patterns in. Typically, Target clearances out baby stuff twice a year, certain brands and models that eventually end up coming in with a different pattern.

Last time they did this was in January and I happened to be in the store when they went 75% off. I picked up a Maclaren Volo stroller for $25 because the new color was coming in (mine is light gray and the new one is a darker gray) and an Evenflo exersaucer for $12.48 because the color/style was changing. A friend of mine picked up a Fisher Price Space Saver highchair for $12.48 because again the pattern was changing.

New pattern = New UPC & DPCI #'s and they have to get rid of them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC