Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Cindy

European safety standards?

Hi. I am thinking of buying a Britax seat. I have found a style I particularly like, and can only get it from the UK where the seats are made. They are not available in the US. My question is, how do the standards in Europe compare to the US? I have heard they are stricter, therefore, it would be ok to buy this car seat. Does anyone see any reason I should not buy it based on safety concerns? Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Robert

Re: European safety standards?

Even tho some of the over seas standards are stricker then the U.S. standards, the seats still need to meet the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in the U.S. A techncian is taught not to install a child seat unless it meets FMVSS 213. Therefore your better off with a seat that meets our FMVSS 213

UlrikeDG

They are stricter in some areas, but much more lax in others

For example, it is perfectly acceptable to put a 9 month old in a belt positioning booster over here. Convertible seats have only become available in the past year or so, and are still very rare. They usually go straight from an infant carrier to a front facing harnessed seat (or worse, a booster). You may also find compatibility issues when trying to install an European seat in a US vehicle. Their seats cannot be installed with a lap-only belt, for example.

And, as Robert pointed out, it is not legal to import a seat from overseas. If you were in a crash and your child were injured, you could be held legally responsible for not using an approved child seat as proscribed by your state's laws.