Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

so what convertibles fit a newborn?

does the radian fit a newborn ok? howabout the como ro signo? does anyone know the bottom slot heights on them?

i am pregnant with #3 and trying to decide what our next seat will be. i might still have our triumph then (i offered it to a freind who is due soon). if so i will use that and then get a blvd or como/signo. i might be able to use that until ds moves to a regent or similar and dd moves to the young sport. then i could put new baby in her blvd. if i don't have the triumph i will need something else to hold a newborn.

if i could find a solution that would fit 3 across in a subaru impreza wrx that would also be wonderful....but i kinda don't see that happening....
    Jet 6/05 Marvel 8/06
    Cash 2/09 Fox 2/09
    Ada due very soon!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: so what convertibles fit a newborn?

The Radian does And you can buy the Radian 65 since it's cheaper, and get the infant padding from the SK website seperately, and I think that'll still be cheaper than getting the 80. Unless you just want the 80 (the fabric is super plush ) Not to mention it'll make the 3-across thing easier. And once your little babe is bigger and can fit in the Blvd, you can put a bigger kid FF and take advantage of that higher harness height

I've heard that newborns have a really hard time fitting in the BLVD--most don't fit until 3-4 months.

HTH!

ETA: The Radian and BLVD also puzzle really well in our car, both RF.
    Sunny, a new patrol car, an old raggedy Civic, and:
    J | 10.06 | RSTV2(L)
    M | 07.08 | RSTV2(S)
    K | 07.11 | FN90CT

Congrats!!

The Radian does have nice low bottom slots.

The Recaro convertibles have a bottom strap height of 10", which is the same as the Britax seats. That's just too high to fit the vast majority of babies.

The Scenera has very low bottom slots. I sat a 3 lb 12 oz preemie in one and she was welll above the bottom slots, although the straps were about an inch away from tightening properly. With a 5-6 pound baby it would have been perfect.

The True Fit is also great for newborns, and has lots of infant padding. If I were to get a convertible for a newborn, this would be it. I'm not comfortable with how shallow the sides of the Radian are, down low by where the baby's head would be. But the True Fit is wicked wide, so 3-across would be nigh impossible

ETA: the EFTA also has very low bottom slots, but is very wide, and also the tabs bug some babies. My 3yo doesn't mind them since the tabs don't touch her neck, but my 16 mo hates them.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

Carseat Crazy

yeah, i don't imagine a newborn would fit in the blvd well. great to know about the radian! i need to track one down to try out 3 across in the subaru.

i LOVE new baby carseat planning.
    Jet 6/05 Marvel 8/06
    Cash 2/09 Fox 2/09
    Ada due very soon!

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

One problem to consider with a convertible is: Can you get a good newborn recline angle AND have any legroom up front for adult passengers? The Radian is fantastic, but it's a real space eater when RF at a newborn recline...
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Carseat Crazy

good to kjnow about the true fit. sounds like the signo/como won't work then. i didn't know that about the radian shell depth. i have never seen one in person. i haven't seen a trufit either. now i really want to though. i had no idea a scenera would work so well for a newborn. i might get one to use just until the baby is big enough for a blvd or signo.
    Jet 6/05 Marvel 8/06
    Cash 2/09 Fox 2/09
    Ada due very soon!

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    One problem to consider with a convertible is: Can you get a good newborn recline angle AND have any legroom up front for adult passengers? The Radian is fantastic, but it's a real space eater when RF at a newborn recline...
    i'll have to keep that in mind. in my van it won't be a problem, but for my husband's subaru it could be. i know the triumph fits well with a newborn in any seat - we had that with our other kids. i suspect the tru fit would be similar to the triumph?
    Jet 6/05 Marvel 8/06
    Cash 2/09 Fox 2/09
    Ada due very soon!

For the True Fit you can leave the top headrest off until the baby is 22 pounds, or their head is 1 inch from the top, so I think it would be shorter than the Triumph. The problem would be when you have to put the headrest back on, if the baby is still young, you would still need the 45 degree recline.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

Carseat Crazy

does the uptown fit a newborn?
    Jet 6/05 Marvel 8/06
    Cash 2/09 Fox 2/09
    Ada due very soon!